Lifted my golf wagon - help needed!!!

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So, as my thread below has stated I put ID parts 2 inch lift springs to replace my broken springs. Looks great, awesome height...too much height. There is a low power drive train wobble, that's annoying, and turns out is wearing the left drive axel prematurely. Mechanics think the new angle is too much, so much so I wore the newly replaced axel in 2 weeks.
Anyone encounter this before? I'm afraid I may have to rip it all out and replace the entire suspension back to stock, unless someone has any insights. Cutting off some of the new front springs, alltrack axel, thoughts?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The back should be fine, assuming you did those too. I would look for for 1" lift springs for the front if those are available. Don't know much about the lift springs, I just put 1.4" drop springs and dampers on my Golf. Super happy with the handling.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Strange. I also lifted mine over the winter and left in my axles with unknown amt of miles on them (at least 90k in my ownership) and didn't get any failures that I half-expected. I wouldn't think your should have broken so quickly. Defective part?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Are your drive axles aftermarket replacements by any chance?
How many miles are on the front control arms bushings? and are they aftermarket?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I've got over 30,000mi on my 2" lift, no axle issues. Stock axles.

JETaah

TDI
So, as my thread below has stated I put ID parts 2 inch lift springs to replace my broken springs. Looks great, awesome height...too much height. There is a low power drive train wobble, that's annoying, and turns out is wearing the left drive axel prematurely. Mechanics think the new angle is too much, so much so I wore the newly replaced axel in 2 weeks.
Anyone encounter this before? I'm afraid I may have to rip it all out and replace the entire suspension back to stock, unless someone has any insights. Cutting off some of the new front springs, alltrack axel, thoughts?
Metalnerd.com has been making 2" lift kits for around 20 years now for the MK4 cars and he puts a lot of R&D into his products. If there was an inherent problem with doing the 2" lift without other necessary modifications it would most likely be stated in the product description.
Might have a word with him before you do much else.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Are these the OEM Tiguan springs? I was thinking maybe he got an unusually stiff set, but Q.A. should be excellent if OEM.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Did they use oe axles? These cars eat cheap aftermarket ones in months. Ask anyone of the older guys on here. Most will say "rebuild the oe" or "buy OEM axles" because if you put cheap stuff on, you'll be redoing it within 6 months

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'll ask my mechanic before I do anything. It all started when he put on a new left axel as the boot was ripped and they don't replace the boot. Both axels have been replaced, I'm assuming with non oem parts.

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I love the height, I don't like how stiff it now rides. But ill deal with it to keep the height.

Would cheaper axels drive different? There is a definite wobble and certain points in the acceleration. Smooth at high speed. The lift I think is more aggressive then 2 inches, probably closer to 3.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'll ask my mechanic before I do anything. It all started when he put on a new left axel as the boot was ripped and they don't replace the boot. Both axels have been replaced, I'm assuming with non oem parts.
A boot kit from a cheap and easy. Shop is lazy if they rather replace the axle than the boot. Sorry to say. But you'll have to do it again.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I love the height, I don't like how stiff it now rides. But ill deal with it to keep the height.

Would cheaper axels drive different? There is a definite wobble and certain points in the acceleration. Smooth at high speed. The lift I think is more aggressive then 2 inches, probably closer to 3.
Yes. Oe axles are thicker and balanced. Many of us have over 200k on oe axles. (I myself have 170k) And almost all will fix the oe ones over replacing. Call a junkyard and see if they have a used set for your car. A few of the members have done just that. Got a boneyard set, then rebuilt their oe ones and reinstalled. Keeping the jy ones for spares.

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
And if you get axles from a German issued car like the MK4 Golf TDIs it is likely that they will have sturdier inner CV joints (providing that they are the originals). It seems that when I have checked them on those cars they did not exhibit the pitting that the Jetta cars do much earlier in the mileage game. They have a different look to the working surfaces as though the hardening process was different.

Last edited:

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Crap, yeah both of my OE axels are recycled. Maybe I should pony up and order new ones install those before replacing the shocks?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Crap, yeah both of my OE axels are recycled. Maybe I should pony up and order new ones install those before replacing the shocks?
If you have the money. Yes. Otherwise get a set from a junkyard. I bet you it's the axles and nothing else. The slight angle from the lift isn't the problem.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Never, never put anything other than OEM CV axles in a German car. One you'll feel a vibration, and they go bad fast. Wonder why the price of sachs axle is so high? Because it's good. Built to last.
I've had multiple vehicles that I've had to replace axles before 50k on them. Replaced the front ones on my truck 3 times in 2 months. Truck wasn't lifted. My mom's Buick went 120k before needing one. But once, cry once. Some things you can get away with aftermarket.

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Great news!!! My Mechanic tried a different after market axel (thicker more robust) and it worked!!! Also they recovered my old axels and replaced the after market one with my original vw axel and refunded me for the swaps. Yes I have an after market axel in but no more vibration!!! Runs silky smooth and I love the height!!! It's like a diesel powered fwd all track.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
I think a lot of people end up at this conclusion. Which is why I recommend spacers.

Want stock comfortable ride quality but more height? Don't half ass it ya clown, do it the "right way" with stiffer springs and stiffer dampers!

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yes. Oe axles are thicker and balanced. Many of us have over 200k on oe axles. (I myself have 170k) And almost all will fix the oe ones over replacing. Call a junkyard and see if they have a used set for your car. A few of the members have done just that. Got a boneyard set, then rebuilt their oe ones and reinstalled. Keeping the jy ones for spares.
I had almost 250K on OE axles, with 150K running a 2' lift. When I replaced them new axles from ORiles (long story but desperate ) I now get a high RPM vibration. When I get back in their I'll run OE axles again.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have more than 250k on my front axles, and have been running stock axles.
I forgot to mention my Stage 4 Tune.

Last edited: