Lift pads for Audi TT fit the JETTAS, GOLFS, New Beetles and Passat B4's!!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Re: Lift pads for Audi TT fit the JETTAS, GOLFS, New Beetles and Passat B4\'s!!

Je,

I don't know what "frame-stiffening rails" you're referring to.

There is a fuel line chase that people mistake for some sort of "frame-support", but your fuel lines run inside this "chase" and I don't recommend using this as a lift point.

Take a look at the "frame-stiffening rails" you think are stronger and see if your two fuel lines run inside of them on the passenger's side.

These dent easily.

Now, the OEM lift points are between the side pinch rails, and the fuel line chase.

Like I stated above, and as you can see in the pic, the OEM lift point where these pads go, sit higher than most anything else you'd use to lift the car, so I would think if you're short of clearance, that these would work very well for you.

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Guess what???

The New Beetle and Passat B4's have the same OEM lift points and plugs/holes that the A4's do.

I installed these today on MBCII's New Beetle, Tomo's Passat(actually Mikey did Tomo's) and on Jacob's Passat.

It's the little things in life...

Lito

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

Originally posted by tongsli:
...Passat B4's have the same OEM lift points and plugs/holes that the A4's do.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lito, you're killin' me. As I lay under the A4 yesterday morning installing these things I was wondering if the B4 could enjoy a similar set up.

Thanks for answering and that question and thanks for helping spend more money on cars.

What's gonna be next with you?

Hey, I still have to post those pix for you of my smooth, painted valences. You're gonnna like that!

Cheers!

u4ea

Veteran Member

Tongsli.
What type of car do you have? Are these visible when looking at the car from the side?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Tom,

Stay tuned
And, no I hadn't forgotten about your valences. Still waiting...

I have a Jetta A4. And no, these cannot be seen from the side. They actually sit higher than the OEM pinch rails where your OEM jack is placed.

You can see it from the pic at the top of this page.

Why are you asking???

There are a bunch of folks who got them installed this weekend at the Maryland GTG

Morris (2 sets)
Tomo
Jacob
Mikeyworks
SVTWEB

These things are SLICK.

Lito

[ July 28, 2002, 20:42: Message edited by: tongsli ]

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue

Tomo, did you get that last hole straightened enough to get the lift pad in?

Mikey

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Lito, there simply is nothing more satisfying than OEM upgrades/mods - - Euro or not!

Did I ever show you my:

Leather boot, leather knob and simple chrome bezel. NICE!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Tom,

VERY NICE indeed!!! I'd be curious to know what you used as an attachment device once you removed the OEM brass clip that holds the gear shift knob.

thanks for sharing,

Lito

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Lito, I am pretty sure I just opened it up...carefully. IIRC, I just crimped it back in place again. I know you can get a fresh one from your favorite stealer should that be preferable.

jtroyce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI (sold)

I just did this upgrade today--very nice indeed! Thanks!

BTW, can someone just confirm for me that the front body plugs that you removed were different than the back ones? The only place I could find up front that had a hole big enough to accept the rubber part of the lift pad was a thin, plastic plug. The only place in the back was a round, rubber plug.

Is this correct? I don't think I installed these in the wrong spots, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

well, I finally went ahead and did this. My car only had one of the orriginal lift pad plugs. Oh well. Did anyone else notice the wimpy plastic plugs missing?

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Originally posted by dieseldorf:
When I enter the P/Ns taken from ETKA, 8N0 804 583 and 8N0 803 855, the IMPEX systems rolls over and plays dead ("Part Number not Found").
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">FYI - the part numbers have been entered in the IMPEX on-line system, http://www.vwparts.com. Reminder you order FOUR of each part.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Ted, that's a Roger Moore (vortex) special. I can provide the P/N but I don't know if you will be able to get it here in America. IIRC, he was getting those for people for about $45.

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr

Thanks - yes if you could dig up the p/n that would be great - worth a try. Regards, Ted

MrMetal

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Ok, based on the pictures and what I've seen under my car, I know where the rear lift points are... BUT... where the heck are the front ones at??? I think I damaged my underframe this past weekend when I placed the jack under what I thought was the front lift point... Basically between the regular lift "edge" and the fuel lines, there are two plastic plugs that I saw... one tiny and thin, one big and round, like the one in the picture. I placed the jack under the bigger one, put some thick cardboard in between, and lifted the car. Well, after removing the jack, I noticed that the sheet metal is bent! I don't think it's just my imagination... could someone post a pic of the front lift pads? I'm just trying to figure out where to place my jack, and where to install the new pads (which I just ordered). Thanks!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

Mike
I got the the last lift pad in today I had to do some bodywork on the undrpan.
My problem is that my little walmart floor jack comes up to high to contact the pads
I have to drive up on something so I can get the jack on the pads.
They are great though! no more messing up the underpan!

[ August 07, 2002, 17:45: Message edited by: tomo366 ]

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

Can someone post pictures of the front lift points, I too would like to see them, as I am a little confused.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I don't have a pic, but I also can't understand why this would be confusing. THere is only ONE hole that is the correct size that these will fit into on the fronts and rears.

Yes, the fronts are the most forward plugs that you will see underneath the car.

Yes, there is another plastic plug nearby, but you can't remove the plug, at least I couldn't and it's oval shaped and these won't fit.

L

PS. I will try to take a pic tonight when I get home

[ August 08, 2002, 09:48: Message edited by: tongsli ]

MrMetal

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Hrm, well, I installed the pads... all went smoothly... I even found the correct place for the front ones... BUT... I still noticed that the sheet metal bent a bit when I lfited the car by the front driver side one (up until then, I didn't, since the passanger side bent too...). So... I'm a bit worried about lifting it by the front points in the future... a local VW mechanic said I should be lifting it by more solid parts of the frame, like where the front suspension arms attatch etc... I dunno. Any comments?

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001

It seems to me the lift pads are designed for a 4 point lift, like the ones in a commercial garage. If you are going to lift one side, at one lift point, you should be using the rocker panel at the pinch weld just aft of the front wheel well, or just forward of the rear wheel well. These points are stronger than where the pads are supported. Use a piece of 2X4 with a groove cut into it to straddle the raised pinch weld.
It could be the Audi TT has more support where the pads are mounted.

jtroyce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI (sold)

I had the same experience as Mr. Metal, which is partially why I posed the question about where the front pads should be installed. (I hadn't expected the metal to bend.)

I must admit that after doing this upgrade, I find myself a bit disappointed. I really hate lifting cars from the side rails--it's just not a beefy enough part of the car to feel safe. I was hoping that this would give me a good place to put a jack or jack stand when doing tire rotations, etc. but in fact it doesn't. The first time I tried to lift the car from the front drivers' side pad, the base metal bent. Now the lift pad isn't slightly crooked w.r.t. the ground and I'm not sure it's safe to use, even in a 4-point lift.

People who consider this upgrade in the future might want to keep this in mind. I'm sure it is good to prevent dealers/shops from removing your cars undercoating, but I'm not sure it provides much of an advantage to the shadetree mechanic.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001

jtroyce,

I agree the pads are mounted to a weaker part of the unibody on our cars. Since these pads are for the Audi TT, I think the TT unibody is designed to be lifted from the points where the pads mount.

As for not wanting to lift our Golfs and Jettas from the outer rails, that is where we are supposed to lift from. Just aft of the front wheel wells and just forward of the aft wheel wells. When I lift at these points, I see no bending of the pan.

zebrajeb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Silver, AT

Originally posted by VW Vet:
jtroyce,

As for not wanting to lift our Golfs and Jettas from the outer rails, that is where we are supposed to lift from. Just aft of the front wheel wells and just forward of the aft wheel wells. When I lift at these points, I see no bending of the pan.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK - this is going to sound dumb. Are we supposed to put the jack on the outer rails? It looks like lifting on the thin rails would cause it to bend? Or, do we put the jack some place else? I'm coming up on an oil change and don't want to bend anything on my new Jetta!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

For all you doubting Thomas' out there, on the A4's(I can't speak for the B4's) take a REAL good look at your underbelly, especially the front part.

I had the car up on ramps yesterday(bleeding brakes) and you know what I saw?

THE FRONT LIFT POINTS ARE REINFORCED WITH SEVERAL PLEATS WHICH RADIATE FROM THE FACTORY LIFT POINTS

These pleats are there for strength and reinforcement. Much stronger than just other parts of the underbody. The side pinch rails are strong, but that doesn't mean that these factory points are NOT as strong. Those reinforcing pleats aren't there by accident. They certainly wouldn't have done this and included the holes if it was dangerous to lift your car from these points.

VW can't include a jack that will work from UNDER your car.

Don't take my word, put your car up on ramps and look for yourself. If I get a chance to do it this week, I will take a picture.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I'd be willing to bet the rears are reinforced in the same way. I'll look there too.

You know, I didn't catch the last few posts on this thread or I would have taken a picture of it yesterday. I did see see them (reinforcing pleats) and found it intersting but I wasn't surprised to find them.

L

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

i'v been lifting from these pads for a while now . . . not a trace of bending or deformation

The fronts are recessed to begin with and that can be confusing for some.

To use them with my 2 ton floor jacks I put a puck of wood in them to get a flat but high friction interface between the jack and the nylon insert on the lift point. No slippage - works perfectly - and if you get the jack positioned right you can use a jack stand at the factory pinch weld!