Lift/Inline Pump Options

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Vane pumps themselves are pretty much the same on all the VE style pumps AFAIK. Bosch likes everything to be modular.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
Ok, because the flow rate of the vane pump is all that matters anyway. As long as the lift pump can outflow the vane pump at max RPM, it's fine for the application.

And that's why I like Bosch :cool:

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I've decided to pick up one of the Facet Cubes and see how it runs.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9807

Also decided to go with some tygonthane fuel line. I priced out their tear and abrasion resistant line, formula C-210-A, w/ 3/8" ID & 5/8" OD (it's overkill, I know), and McMaster's price put me at ~$70 for 28 feet. Amazon carries a 100 ft roll of the very same hose for the same price. found a friend who'll buy some off me, but I'll still have extra.
DC, I always like to have some fuel line on hand.
Bring what you don't want when we get together some day.;)

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Ok, because the flow rate of the vane pump is all that matters anyway. As long as the lift pump can outflow the vane pump at max RPM, it's fine for the application.

And that's why I like Bosch :cool:

That's why I opted for one of the few pumps with a 3/8" fitting instead of a 1/8" fitting. Since pressure is caused by restriction, and even if 3/8" is a touch overkill, it's ID will be greater that the stock line, which is half the reason to put an auxiliary pump in: larger ID, less restriction.

FYI, some google-fu shows A 1/8" NPT fitting would have a 0.215" to 0.307" ID where as a 3/8" fitting is about 0.423" to 0.545" ID. Stock line size for mk III's is 1/4" for the feed line, right?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
That's why I opted for one of the few pumps with a 3/8" fitting instead of a 1/8" fitting. Since pressure is caused by restriction, and even if 3/8" is a touch overkill, it's ID will be greater that the stock line, which is half the reason to put an auxiliary pump in: larger ID, less restriction.

FYI, some google-fu shows A 1/8" NPT fitting would have a 0.215" to 0.307" ID where as a 3/8" fitting is about 0.423" to 0.545" ID. Stock line size for mk III's is 1/4" for the feed line, right?
The lines aren't the restriction. The filter and IP is. I reran all my fuel lines when I installed the pump. 3/8 from the tank to the filter and it still makes pressure. Drops down to .5 psi at 4000 RPM, which is why I think I could use a pump one step up from what I got.

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Does anyone have a "stupid n simple" kit put together in terms of a cheaper alternative to the PD lift pump that doesn't require as extensive of an installation process? Appreciate it :)

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
For inlet pressure testing, you don't need to do WOT- that's inconsequential as the fuel going into the engine is tiny compared to the flow in the return.

The vane pump is based on how fast the IP turns, so pretty much purely based on RPM.

So, a real test is to see how it holds pressure at 5k rpm, wot or not.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
For inlet pressure testing, you don't need to do WOT- that's inconsequential as the fuel going into the engine is tiny compared to the flow in the return.

The vane pump is based on how fast the IP turns, so pretty much purely based on RPM.

So, a real test is to see how it holds pressure at 5k rpm, wot or not.
Yup, been saying this for a while.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
My old carter lift pump died, after 95K miles, installed it when everybody was experimenting on ALH engines here at this forum approx. 6-8 years ago... it worked great and I was able to fit it just directly where fuel lines drop down from the tank to the bottom railing,, I was surprised it left me stranded on the freeway,, now I would like to do an upgrade and would like to try to fit a better pump right at the same spot where the carter pump is installed,, it may have to be a small pump on steroids LOL,, is there anything better that would fit in that little space that would outflow my small carter pump??? or do I have to relocate pump in order to use a better and bigger pump to make it fit?

Will the red holley pump fit in that space between the bottom frame and tank has anyone installed it in a ALH platform? I was checking it it goes for about $113.00 bucks
Txs for any input

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i recently bought the facet posi-flo 7-10 psi (40gph iirc). i'll be testing it out at some point in the next month i hope. $45 shipped on amazon, made in usa. looks nice

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Jim, Would that fit inside a PD sender unit? i want something with a little more flow than a stock PD Pump.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
looking at my notes and Convo's with other it seems the stock PD pump does about 55gph, i had 40 in my head so it looks like we need to find something with more guts, anyone got any ideas?

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Or just do a limited return loop, with a fuel cooler in front.
Like darkscout did here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4349103&postcount=34 ( I put a fuel cooler between the IP outlet and the T to the fuel filter. My regulator is just a simple restrictor - a one way viton valve that is a bit smaller than normal fuel lines- works well).
So basically, you have always some head pressure from the pump, to the filter, to the ip, until the return restrictor. The actual fuel consumed by the pump is little compared to the flow of the loop. So, at higher rpm, when the pump can't keep up, more fuel gets recirculated by the IP vane pump (or tandem pump for PD).

I have a cheapo smaller carter that wasn't flowing enough at mid to high rpm with full loop return. With this setup, I have no issues at all and fuel doesn't get too hot. You can tell with this setup, by putting your hand on the fuel filter. In winter I remove the fuel cooler from the loop, and even then it just gets warm at most.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Just ordered the posi-flo 7-10 psi, I believe its a 40gph, read up reviews and people say they like the pump,,, its made for gas, diesel, bio-D, it comes with a filter 75 micron...I am sure will be better than the old carter that I had in my Jetta. Cross my fingers>