Lift Ideas for MKIV Golf Smyth Ute

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
So, it is time to start sorting the suspension on my MKIV Smyth Ute and I think a proper lift is in order. I am debating also throwing on some oversized tires to just make this thing a bit more ridiculous :)

As you will see, because the rear is about 250 lbs lighter, it sits a couple inches higher than the front:

I am looking for ideas for how best to achieve a reliable, workable lift. A few criteria/thoughts:
  • I am not saying "money is no object," but I do not want to cut corners.
  • No way I am installing an air ride :D
  • Coilovers are an option
  • If not coilovers, this will involve new shocks and spring
My first thought is a Metalnerd 2" lift kit to achieve the lift, but I am not sure what spring/shock combo would work best. Thoughts?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I did that lift on my old 2003 Beetle. I liked it. All new suspension and realignment went in with it. Think it all came from IDParts.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have neither the time nor patience. Also, I am loathe to introduce any more electrical complexity into a 20-year-old vehicle that has already undergone major surgery.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
There's a bunch of guys doing the Jeep spring lift, I've also heard that the Tiguan springs are even better to use.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmm, any links? I have never heard of Jeep or Tiggy springs on a MKIV. Also wondering what shocks would have a long enough extension to work.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting! I am hesitant to veer too far off the OEM course, but never say never!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Just watch out for CV angle, dont want to stress them too much, you can always fab a subframe spacer like they did in the golf country, lifts the body above the subframe and rear subframe while maintaining stock geometry.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I am trying to avoid anything too extreme. I suppose my biggest question is what shocks will best accommodate the lift.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
If I am not to late to your party. I have completed my Jeep Spring Lift and fully documented it on my youtube channel
Easiest, true lift, in my OPINION:

VW Front: Bilstein B6HD Strut/ Jeep JK Front Springs
VW Rear: Jeep XJ Front Springs with 1999Ford F150 4x4 Rear Shocks.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I am not to late to your party. I have completed my Jeep Spring Lift and fully documented it on my youtube channel
Easiest, true lift, in my OPINION:

VW Front: Bilstein B6HD Strut/ Jeep JK Front Springs
VW Rear: Jeep XJ Front Springs with 1999Ford F150 4x4 Rear Shocks.

Haha, not too late at all. If I am lucky, I will get around to this before the first snow of the year. She looks great!

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Any progress?

I'm planning out my own lift on my Jetta Wagon: lift springs from ID Parts, Koni special actives, and either a metal nerd or evolution lift kit. Then I'm looking for some all-terrains.

Would love to see how this Ute turns out!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
How much lift are you wanting? 2"?
I did 2" in my beetle and loved it. Whether or not you lift the car definitely get oversized tires. They look so much better then stock! I have 215/65/16 on mine, same ones when i had them in the lifted beetle but the car is stock. They look nice tho they do rub some on the fender liner on tight turns.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I used home made spacers in mine. Much like metalnerds, but can be made from 35$ in parts at menards (or like hardware store). Theres a thread around here somewhere that was the original idea then i "updated" it some to make it what i felt was slightly safer and less likely to rust out fast. I'll try and find it if you want

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
How much lift are you wanting? 2"?
I did 2" in my beetle and loved it. Whether or not you lift the car definitely get oversized tires. They look so much better then stock! I have 215/65/16 on mine, same ones when i had them in the lifted beetle but the car is stock. They look nice tho they do rub some on the fender liner on tight turns.
I'm hopeful that the springs will give about 2," the new shocks & struts will give another inch or so (mine are sagging now), and the spacers another inch or two -we'll see after the work is done.

I just picked up some 17" Long Beaches that came with some sporty 235x45xR17s, I think I'm going to ride those until they wear out and then pickup some all-terrains - looking at the Falken Wildpeaks in 225x60xR17. A few other folks in the Lifted Water-Cooled VWs Facebook Group run them and they look great.

After all that I'm thinking skid plate.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Those Konis are FANTASTIC! I put some on the wife's Golf.

Skid plates ought to be mandatory!

Fun stuff here, guys! (I occassionally see some lifted MKIVs running around my parts [folks lift anything and everything around here!], don't know if TDIs or not.)

On the UTE, I'd look to remove that rub strip on the doors. They don't ever really seem to do much and I think that that would tend to make a better match to the bed. Other than that I can only wish I had one these: and if 4wd it would be total beyond AWESOME!

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No decisions yet, but I am leaning toward something not very extreme. Too much of a lift will throw suspension geometry off and cause premature wear. I think what I will end up doing is throwing new stock springs on the rear, see what height I get, and then make a decision on the front. I anticipate a 1"-2" lift kit will be in my future.

Also as far as those rub strips are concerned, removing them means light welding, bondo and rewrapping. Too much effort. On the other hand, I might end up fabbing some strips to slap on the quarterpanel from the door to the wheel arch for linear continuity.