Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
My dealer was able to align it just fine and actually stopped eating rear tires like it used to before the lift and 3rd party alignments.

Stupid as it sounds, my dealer is the only one who gets the correct alignment on my A3 or my JSW. Worth the $129 they charge. (Look for a coupon to make it $99).

You WILL need an alignment because of how the struts mount in the cup.
Ok thanks! I knew I’d need an alignment but the shop I’d go to when I mentioned maybe getting him to install the springs wanted to know how the alignment would go.
Think I’m going to to the Tiguan front springs and towing rear springs. The place I get parts has Blisten shocks/struts (oem I presume) So I’m u decided what to do about those. I’ll be keeping the stock tire size. I’m not looking for anything sporty or special, just need to replace everything anyways and figured a simple upgrade won’t cost much more than stock stuff and would at least lift a bit for snow season!

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I did the same springs on mine.

I didn’t change my OE struts/shocks and then realized how shot they were with the taller springs.

So I took it all apart again and put on Koni FSD.

Both were able to be aligned just fine.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Ok thanks! I knew I’d need an alignment but the shop I’d go to when I mentioned maybe getting him to install the springs wanted to know how the alignment would go.
Think I’m going to to the Tiguan front springs and towing rear springs. The place I get parts has Blisten shocks/struts (oem I presume) So I’m u decided what to do about those. I’ll be keeping the stock tire size. I’m not looking for anything sporty or special, just need to replace everything anyways and figured a simple upgrade won’t cost much more than stock stuff and would at least lift a bit for snow season!

The reason I lifted mine 4 yrs ago was to get out of the snow, and it works great. I had the vehicle aligned at the dealer and they got er done no problem.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I ran a year with the rear tiggies before I had it aligned and noticed some wear on the inside of the rear tires. Seems fine after the alignment, been probably three years now.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
When I did the alignment on my first Wagen, they said they had trouble getting front caster within specs. But there were no issues when I drove it. No issues in the rear.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
Just did the koni special actives front and rear with tiguan front springs. Towing in the rear. Got the kit from idparts when koni had the rebate going. Quality stuff and so far, the ride is excellent. Going from tired stock gear to this setup raised everything about 2 inches. Maybe more. But it doesn't look ridiculous. It's a matter of opinion and functionality. I think slammed cars make one look like a tool.

Cant wait to test the payload now.

vernalicious

TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Got the idparts springs and Koni Special Actives on all 4 corners back in August. All was going well, except for a noticeable thud in the back over extremely sharp speed bumps and very bad pavement. I didn't pay too much attention, until I went to switch over to winter tires this November. When I jacked up the driver side rear, I heard a hissing noise at full shock extension and saw blue fluid spewing from the strut. The valve was toast and the shock was no longer dampening.

Upon doing some research, the Koni Special Active is not the longest shock at max extension available, at 585mm. The Bilstein B6 33-158723, intended for a GTI/Golf, extends to 640mm. There's also the Koni Yellow 8040-1395, intended for a Tiguan, which goes to 630mm. I decided to give the Bilstein B6 a try. After installing it this afternoon, I am pleased with the early results. The Bilsteins are noticeably stiffer than than the Koni Special Actives, but not excessively so. Small pavement imperfections are more noticeable, but the rear feels tighter under tight cornering. The Bilstein B6 also feels like a nicer built shock. The welds look better and it's physically heavier.

I still get a noticeable thud in the rear end over very sharp speed bumps. The thud sounds less violent on the Bilsteins compared to the Konis, probably due to the additional 2 inches of travel and stiffer dampening. I'm not sure why I had this issue, as I can't find other reports of this happening on this forum or any others. It could be my vehicle is slightly different than other, or maybe the shock topping out was unrelated to the valve failure. Either way, I would recommend anyone using these springs to use Koni Special Actives in the front and Bilstein B6 33-158723 in the rear.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Well almost all my parts are here. I took apart the car and found 2 broken springs (one front and rear) strut mounts were toast, and one front sway bar link was loose and ready to fall apart. Another order of stuff to get the link and new strut mount bolts as I had to cut a few off when the rusty rivnuts decided to spin..... I ended up getting Blisten shocks, and springs same as the ID parts kit. Being in Canada the shipping was a bit much so ordered from a reputable parts supplier in N.S.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Got the idparts springs and Koni Special Actives on all 4 corners back in August. All was going well, except for a noticeable thud in the back over extremely sharp speed bumps and very bad pavement. I didn't pay too much attention, until I went to switch over to winter tires this November. When I jacked up the driver side rear, I heard a hissing noise at full shock extension and saw blue fluid spewing from the strut. The valve was toast and the shock was no longer dampening.

Upon doing some research, the Koni Special Active is not the longest shock at max extension available, at 585mm. The Bilstein B6 33-158723, intended for a GTI/Golf, extends to 640mm. There's also the Koni Yellow 8040-1395, intended for a Tiguan, which goes to 630mm. I decided to give the Bilstein B6 a try. After installing it this afternoon, I am pleased with the early results. The Bilsteins are noticeably stiffer than than the Koni Special Actives, but not excessively so. Small pavement imperfections are more noticeable, but the rear feels tighter under tight cornering. The Bilstein B6 also feels like a nicer built shock. The welds look better and it's physically heavier.

I still get a noticeable thud in the rear end over very sharp speed bumps. The thud sounds less violent on the Bilsteins compared to the Konis, probably due to the additional 2 inches of travel and stiffer dampening. I'm not sure why I had this issue, as I can't find other reports of this happening on this forum or any others. It could be my vehicle is slightly different than other, or maybe the shock topping out was unrelated to the valve failure. Either way, I would recommend anyone using these springs to use Koni Special Actives in the front and Bilstein B6 33-158723 in the rear.
You need to go to Tiguan rear struts, which are longer. The Jetta wagen rear struts get overextended on large bumps. I've had this issue twice using Jetta rear struts (Koni Yellows and Koni Special Actives).

The Jetta towing springs are about 1/3 stiffer than the stock springs, so using the damping on the Jetta Bilstein B6 might be OK for normal driving, but might still not be enough to prevent overextension of the strut. I have Tiguan Koni Special Actives on my Tiguan springs (slightly shorter and stiffer than Jetta towing springs) and it solved all my issues. It is on the firm side but not harsh. I'm willing to bet the Tiguan Bilstein Touring (B4?) would be a good fit also. You can't really use any "sport" strut as the extension is reduced for use with shorter springs. I'd think the Koni Yellow for a Tiguan would be pretty stiff though.

The "thud"/overextension issue was covered in this thread (a while ago, yeah I know its hard to thumb through all the posts).

Last edited:

vernalicious

TDI
2012 JSW DSG
From my research, the Tiguan Konis are not the longest rear shocks available. The Tiguan Koni Yellow is close at 630 mm. The Tiguan Koni SA is only 585mm which is the same as the JSW part number. These measurements are from Koni tech support. The additional dampening on a Tiguan Koni SA may prevent top out on the towing springs, but I didn't want to chance it so I got the Bilstein B6 33-158723 which extend to 640mm. I have only been able to get it to top out on one specific speedbump. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience with the Tiguan Koni SA's with the Towing springs after experiencing top out with the JSW Koni SA's.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
From my research, the Tiguan Konis are not the longest rear shocks available. The Tiguan Koni Yellow is close at 630 mm. The Tiguan Koni SA is only 585mm which is the same as the JSW part number. These measurements are from Koni tech support. The additional dampening on a Tiguan Koni SA may prevent top out on the towing springs, but I didn't want to chance it so I got the Bilstein B6 33-158723 which extend to 640mm. I have only been able to get it to top out on one specific speedbump. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience with the Tiguan Koni SA's with the Towing springs after experiencing top out with the JSW Koni SA's.
Regardless of your research, I can tell you what worked for me. Going to Tiguan struts solved my clunk. No noise whatsoever in the rear.

When you talk about "extension", are you talking about the range of the travel? The Tiguan struts may have similar or less range of travel between full compression and full extension, but if that range sits and inch or two higher than a Jetta strut, then that would prevent overextension of the strut by the spring...

vernalicious

TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Regardless of your research, I can tell you what worked for me. Going to Tiguan struts solved my clunk. No noise whatsoever in the rear.

When you talk about "extension", are you talking about the range of the travel? The Tiguan struts may have similar or less range of travel between full compression and full extension, but if that range sits and inch or two higher than a Jetta strut, then that would prevent overextension of the strut by the spring...

For sure, I don't doubt that the Tiguan struts fixed your issues. The Tiguan springs are about an inch shorter than Towing springs. A stiffer damper with the same max extension may prevent top out.

Max extension is how long the shock is at full piston extension. This is a standard spec that the manufacturer can provide for comparison between different shocks. The max extension specs direct from Koni were identical for the Tiguan and JSW Special Actives. I didn't ask about dampening rate, but I'd assume there Tiguan is a stiffer shock. They have different part numbers, so there must be some difference. It's also possible that Koni has a data entry error and the Tiguan SAs have a longer max extension than advertised. I would expect the Tiguan shocks to have a longer max extension than the Sportwagen shocks. That's the case for the Yellows, but not the Special Actives for whatever reason.

Here are the specs from Koni FWIW

Special Active

Front

JSW 8745 1038
Max: 575 mm
Min: 400 mm

Tiguan 8745 1263
Max: 565 mm
Min: 400 mm

Rear

JSW 8045 1084
Max: 585 mm
Min: 361mm

Tiguan 8045 1228
Max: 585mm
Min: 361mm

Koni Yellow

Front

JSW 8710 1431
Max: 575mm
Min:400mm

Tiguan 8741 1546
Max: 605mm
Min: 442mm

Rear

JSW 80 2859
Max: 585mm
Min: 354mm

Tiguan 8040 1395
Max: 630mm
Min: 383mm

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Well, finally got it done, had been waiting for mail order parts.... then broke the last stud off the ball joint so another order....
It sits noticeability higher, rides fine enough for me! I used Blisten shocks (oem replacements) and they do clunk a bit on big bumps likely topping out.
The local garage had no issues with the alignment, said the camber was at the upper end of the limit but still within.
overall I’m happy so far with it and look forward to the improved clearance!
I’d post a picture but can’t figure it out....

TDI
2012 JSW
I'm looking to go bigger on tires with my lift but keeping the OEM 16" wheels. My JSW is at +1.5 inches in height up front and +2 in the rear. I'm running 215 55 16 now and they just aren't filling out the wheel wells like I think they should. Also, the Hankook Hankook VentusV2 I installed -- while quiet and comfy -- are no good in the rain. I have a set of Michelin X-Ice 215 55 16 that are good for another 2-3 winters, so I'm covered there.

I'm thinking of trying out some of the newer Michelin CrossClimates for the grip/comfort/LRR factor, and I know Conti DWS' are always popular, too. But my inner child wants to try out mild A/T tires like the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail or the Yokohama Geolandar A/T GO15 for some off-road-look cosplay.

I'm constantly playing with comparisons on tiresize.com...

Stock size: 205 55 16 = 24.9" tire height
Current setup: 215 55 16 = 25.3" tire height
Option #1: 205 60 16 = 25.7" ride height
Option #2: 205 65 16 = 26.5" ride height
Option #3: 215 60 16 = 26.2" ride height
Option #4: 215 65 16 = 27" ride height

How tall is too tall? How much sidewall is too much sidewall?

What setups have you tried?

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
I am thinking about a mild lift like yours and maybe some larger tires. I was leaning towards the OE Tiguan 1st gen size tire.

You may have already seen this car, but its 215/75-15. Visually I don't think you can have too much sidewall. Its just down to what will fit without rubbing.

This one is worth a look too if you haven't seen it. This one is on 16x7 wheels.

TDI
2012 JSW
Thanks @taleAwaggin! Looks like 1st gen Tiggy wheels are 27" high -- 215 65 16 is listed as the 16" size. I'm just a bit worried about rear wheel well lining scrape when fully loaded. My ride is back a page or two for comparison.

I'm loading up for a road trip next month, with a cargo basket on the hitch, too (installed the hidden EcoHitch in January, and the lift kept everything up high enough that I didn't need jack stands or ramps to do the job). I was going to measure the rear fender opening height under that load and see what's what.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I'd go with the cheap draw tite myself. Once you get the car raised up a few inches it shouldn't much matter that the "draw tite" does not live up to its name and draw up tight to the car. I'm thinking about either rear shock extensions or finding some longer rear shocks. I guess brake lines should should be checked to make sure they have enough slack.

FYI monroe lists the below specs which lines up somewhat with koni:

JSW?
584mm extended
374mm compressed

Tiguan?
632mm extended
383mm compressed

Atlas rear shocks or springs may be another option. I have not yet found the spring length/diamter, or extended/compressed shock lengths, but here are some links that may interest people reading through this thread. They suggest Atlas shocks uses similar upper and lower shock mounts as TIguan and Jetta.

Last edited:

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the front or rear "mqb" alltrack/tiguan/atlas upper and lower shock/strut mounts even jive with the earlier mounts?

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ordered used atlas junk just to see. So far I'm zero for two.. Passat springs did nothing, and my 15's with spacers didn't fit. Don't mind going zero for three... :D

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
Ordered used atlas junk just to see. So far I'm zero for two.. Passat springs did nothing, and my 15's with spacers didn't fit. Don't mind going zero for three... :D
My brother just installed the forge overland 1.5" lift on his jsw. Looked quality and easy install. It is just spacers so it rides just the same as before.

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
My brother just installed the forge overland 1.5" lift on his jsw. Looked quality and easy install. It is just spacers so it rides just the same as before.
I liked the idea of the lift spacers but I am also pretty cheap so I ordered some "tema4x4" spacer kit off eBay 30mm for around $145 USD compared to $250 for the forges.
Installed last week with my brothers help in about 1 hour and ten minutes to install all 4.
I need to adjust the alignment still.. I know the front toe moved from slightly toed out to toed in.

Last edited:

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't want to go for one of the internationally shipped sets eh?

I have that same spacer set, along with 1g fwd Tiguan struts, fwd Atlas shocks and mounts, and a few sets of springs from my shed. If I ever find my wheel lock key I will see how these lego pieces fit.. I've read on some threads here that the soft spacers can squash and not give you all the height that they would otherwise. Maybe some big washers or something could help there..

Last edited:

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
Didn't want to go for one of the internationally shipped sets eh?

I have that same spacer set, along with 1g fwd Tiguan struts, fwd Atlas shocks and mounts, and a few sets of springs from my shed. If I ever find my wheel lock key I will see how these lego pieces fit.. I've read on some threads here that the soft spacers can squash and not give you all the height that they would otherwise. Maybe some big washers or something could help there..
I just didn't want to wait for unknown shipping times and then if there was an issue with them trying to return to Ukraine/RU didnt sound like fun.. The ones shipped from east coast arrived in like 3 days. The finish of the Poly wasnt as smooth as the Forge spacers, there was some slight air bubbles visible, but as long as they hold up I am not too concerned.

I didn't measure any heights of the car before like I should have to compare, but the spacers were like 31.25mm in front, so even if they squish a bit they will be the advertised 30mm.
The rears were taller than the 30mm advertised (40mm maybe? I didn't write it down) but I think they were accounting for the original bushings in the rear that I removed which looked roughly 10mm thick.
I am happy with the lift amount, now deciding if I want to get some slightly taller tires or not. I'll probably try to wear the current ones out first.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Put it in.. Font fenders top out at 28" now, rears at 30" unloaded. JSW on 205/60-16. For now I'm satisfied with it like this. Like you said moar, I'll just wear these out before getting 215/65-16 h/t's or something. At 28/30 I now have the buffer I wanted for towing squat even if its a little lower than I was hoping.

FYI Tiguan first gen front struts with the green red spring was exactly the same length as the JSW strut with the pink orange blue blue. Not sure why. I had incorrectly assumed the struts were longer.. not sure where I got that idea. Springs looked pretty much the same too. I'll get some micrometer measurements on spring diameter if I can find the dang thing.

I might see what Atlas struts do later.

Last edited:

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked at the atlas shocks and the lower mount uses a longer smaller diameter bolt. If I use these I might press the old bolt mount out of the eyelets and urethane some correct shorter larger diameter aluminum pieces in there. That or drill the mounts out and chop them shorter.

I'm pretty sure the thud that vernalicious and others mention is due to lack of available down travel from static ride height. I have experienced it also. On mine it gets less and less likely to happen the lower the height. And it gets less obnoxious too. I had mine super high and it was terrible. I had to drop it back down a little. It still does it but its not bad. I have concluded.. if you drive aggressively over rough ground, it will happen more often than if you do not. IMO the only way to completely eliminate the thud and get the suspension to work 100% properly, even when driving very aggressively over rough terrain... is to go with longer brake hoses, longer sensor wires and longer shocks. At least with my car it seems this is the case.

Last edited:

CB4

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Update 2023 Koni is not the struts you're looking for.

I lifted my 2013 JSW, it's way better in the snow now. I can not compare it to a lowered JSW but ride and handling are better than stock. I ordered parts from idparts.com and had my friend at a VW dealer install them. If you drive in the snow or on rough roads it's def worth it, and a must if you are loading your car down and driving in the snow or on rough roads.
With these size tires, it does not rub or bottom out.

Winter Tires 215/55r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 - 2023 got them R5's
Summer Tires 235/40r19 Bridgestone turanza quiettrack I wanted to get the Nokian WR G4 but they were back-ordered

Koni + Springs Complete Suspension Set (A5)(Mk6)
- Model: Sportwagen Lift HD Springs (+$49.00)
- Koni Strut & Shock Set: Koni Special ACTIVE (+$100.00)
Heavy Duty Aluminum Skid Plate (A5)(Mk6 Golf)(Sportwagen)

Update 2023 - Don't get the Koni get this it's way better.

Bilstein B6 HD Strut and Shock Set (A5 and Mk6 Sportwagen)
- Front Strut Mounts: Yes
- Installation Bolt Kit:
- Rear Shock Mounts:
$1,109.67
2​
Rear Sway Bar Link (Mk5)(Mk6)(NMS)(8P)$37.90
2​
Rear Sway Bar Bushing (A5) [FEBI]$31.22
1​
Eibach Anti-Roll Rear Sway Bar (A5)(Mk6 Golf)(Sportwagen)$249.95
2​
Sway Bar Link (A5)(Mk6)(NMS)(MK7)$36.20
1​
Eibach Anti-Roll Front Sway Bar (A5)(Mk6 Golf)(Sportwagen)$259.95
1​
Sportwagen Lift Springs Set$214.00

Winter Photos:
  • Baker on the 52 inches overnight day - never got stuck.

Not Baker

Last edited:

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
In 18 pages of posts I am surprised to not see anybody spacing underneath the front strut. Seems like there is some wiggle room there you could use. Some reason not to try it? Anybody ever done it? Not a suspension guru but seems like some stainless spacers a couple of dozen thousandths smaller outer diameter than the shock body would do the trick.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Because we want to do it the right way?

You don't get the benefit of longer, stiffer springs and struts, so loading up your Wagen with weight (people and things) will still cause the rear to sag.

IMHO, any sort of lift is better with new struts and springs rather than using only spacers. I feel the latter is only a last resort.

Last edited:

CB4

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I'm looking to go bigger on tires with my lift but keeping the OEM 16" wheels. My JSW is at +1.5 inches in height up front and +2 in the rear. I'm running 215 55 16 now and they just aren't filling out the wheel wells like I think they should. Also, the Hankook Hankook VentusV2 I installed -- while quiet and comfy -- are no good in the rain. I have a set of Michelin X-Ice 215 55 16 that are good for another 2-3 winters, so I'm covered there.

I'm thinking of trying out some of the newer Michelin CrossClimates for the grip/comfort/LRR factor, and I know Conti DWS' are always popular, too. But my inner child wants to try out mild A/T tires like the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail or the Yokohama Geolandar A/T GO15 for some off-road-look cosplay.

I'm constantly playing with comparisons on tiresize.com...

Stock size: 205 55 16 = 24.9" tire height
Current setup: 215 55 16 = 25.3" tire height
Option #1: 205 60 16 = 25.7" ride height
Option #2: 205 65 16 = 26.5" ride height
Option #3: 215 60 16 = 26.2" ride height
Option #4: 215 65 16 = 27" ride height

How tall is too tall? How much sidewall is too much sidewall?

What setups have you tried?
This was super helpful when I was trying to find out if/and/or what tire size would fit. I stayed with 26.4" and it's plenty of room. If you are looking for winter tires I found the nokian hakkapeliitta r3 are great, have had them on a 2017 alltrack, 2006 volvo xc70, and 2013 JSW TDI and they are great even with the front-wheel drive, the only downside is the speed rating, but if you keep it under 120 you are fine.