Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

TDI
JettaSportWagen 2010
Awesome Camper Set UP SomeJ

Awesome camper setup SomeJ.

Been wanting to get there myself.
One fine day a long time ago went to the tire store to upsize my tires while retaining oems for future use. But the tire tech sold me rims with a larger offset causing a great stance but bottoming on bumps and rubbing on turns.

So off with the rims and put the new tires 225/55/ ZR16 on stock rims and every thing works well. Miss the handling and aggressive stance/look but oh well.

What hitch are you using and have you weighed the hitch weight and total weight of the camper. How does it handle on grades and importantly when passing or being passed by vans and trucks?

Still want to do a lift one-o-these days but for right now the hitch is my first budget item and then the lift.

The ole woman keeps banging those rims on my head every time I mention spending some dough on enhancement of the JSW.

Many of the folks here have done a great job of enhancing the JSW with lifts etc.
Hats off to you all.

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Any updates on those with lifts on JSWs?

I have a 2009 JSW TDI DSG that is approaching 100k. I am thinking about just getting new shocks/struts/etc and would like a 1inch lift while I'm at it.

Anyone in the NC area doing this work?

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
@BioDieselLover
Thanks!!! I am using a curt hitch, but thinking about moving to a euro some time in the future, but not near future. Just want to change more because the dang hitch still scrapes while going up or down my drive way some times so that extra clearance would be nice. Functionality wise, have not had any problems with the hitch.

I have not weighed anything, but the factory says the camper unloaded and unmodified is 900lb. I have added about 150lb worth of batteries and other stuff that live on/in it. Fully loaded with 5-10gal of water in the sleeping area, a 10lb propane tank on the tongue and luggage with cooking supplies i would say tongue weight is anywhere form 120 to 150lb with total weight around 1300lb. Just guessing of course.

Car has no problems pulling. Only issues i have had was when pulling up the rockies going 75 and a regen kicked in. Almost crapped myself when egts hits 1400 almost instantly (were sitting at 1050ish before the regen). Slowed down and waited for the regen to end then carried on. Passing is no problem and being passed is no problem. I have gone as fast as 85-90 (Texas was quite the adventure this summer) while passing with the camper and really had no problems (probably not the smartest thing as the camper tires most likely are not rated for that). Just downshift to 5th and zoom on by. Only take about a 5-10mpg hit on mileage with the teardrop with some what neutral conditions (flat to slightly sloped up or down ground and little head or tail wind) going the speed limit on the interstate. Circling back around to ETGs... Expect to see upper 900s to lower 1000s as a default on level ground. I am not sure if that holds true for everyone, but that is what I have seen over the many times I have towed the camper.

The key with the mpg is the camper being low profile. It only sits a few inches higher than the top of the car (having the lift has helped) so it does not create much drag. I regularly pull a trailer for work that is about 6.5-7ft to the top of the roof. Even though it is wedged in the front it still drags like a mother. Trying to go 70 on flat ground is really pushing while in 6th gear. With this trailer unloaded at about 800lb or I have even pushed it fully loaded with 1600lb of batteries + other stuff @ about an estimated 3000lb total... Pulled almost the same while at speed and gave about a 20mpg hit loaded and unloaded while at 65-70mph. Drag seems to be the biggest factor. Lifting the car may help this a bit, but only while towing.

@y0bailey
What kind of updates you looking for? Suspension seems to be holding up great for me, but I only have about 10-15k miles on my lift. I have not been able to get a good read on how the mpg has changed as work has had me pulling a trailer on most of my out of town/high way trips. Ride quality still feels about the same as it was when i first did the lift. I do feel the road a bit more and the ride is not as smooth as it was, but still smoother than my explorer. Just feels like the car is more connected with the road even though it is higher from it.

Cheers!!
J

drivethruecp

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI 3dr w/ Tech
Anyone running the setup on a MK6 Golf TDI? I have a 2012 TDI 2dr Manual Golf and would like a lift to compensate for my rural living and country/dirt roads.

Tiguan 2WD Front Springs (non-Sport) (green red white white) VW p/n 5N0 411 105R
Tiguan 4WD H&R Front Lift Springs 29037-1

I imagine my stance and results will be different on a Golf than a JSW... Everything I've found on Golfs is older generations, so isn't of much help. Seems like I'm an odd man out that I want the smaller golf whereas the JSW is more of the Subie Outback approach sans AWD.

Sctdi123

TDI
Mk6 golf
mk6 Golf TDI ... raise suspension 1 to 1.5"

drivethruecp,

I've been looking for same for a year or better. No reliable results as yet.

If you come across something reliable please ping me ... i'll do the same

tks, Bryan

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI SW 6spd Manual
While installing airbags in the stock rear springs, the passenger spring was found to be broken at the base, so I went with a pair of tow springs(from ID Parts). The back sits a bit higher than I would like when empty, but it beats dragging *ss with any kind of weight in back. Perhaps the tiguan springs in front would level it out a bit more. I think rears were shot rather quickly. I felt, even with HD shocks, that 2 people in back made car sag rather badly and would scrape on most entrances to gas stations/stores etc. Now I think I could load up back with concrete and not even feel it.
Car handles a lot better with the tow springs with no more squat everytime I touch the go pedal. Sits almost perfect with quad loaded on trailer now. Not as harsh as I expected. Car rights itself much faster(front to back) with absolutely no body roll now(front/rear sways already upgraded).

I have a Curt hitch installed, which used to scrape constantly, but I don't think it is possible to do it now. :)

I think the stock front springs are shot and sitting a bit low as well , which makes it even more pronounced. I guess when front struts need to go, tiggy springs can go in.

Last edited:

Sctdi123

TDI
Mk6 golf
TDI_Coast2Coast ... springs

While installing airbags in the stock rear springs, the passenger spring was found to be broken at the base, so I went with a pair of tow springs(from ID Parts). The back sits a bit higher than I would like when empty, but it beats dragging *ss with any kind of weight in back. Perhaps the tiguan springs in front would level it out a bit more. I think rears were shot rather quickly. I felt, even with HD shocks, that 2 people in back made car sag rather badly and would scrape on most entrances to gas stations/stores etc. Now I think I could load up back with concrete and not even feel it.
Car handles a lot better with the tow springs with no more squat everytime I touch the go pedal. Sits almost perfect with quad loaded on trailer now. Not as harsh as I expected. Car rights itself much faster(front to back) with absolutely no body roll now(front/rear sways already upgraded).

I have a Curt hitch installed, which used to scrape constantly, but I don't think it is possible to do it now. :)

I think the stock front springs are shot and sitting a bit low as well , which makes it even more pronounced. I guess when front struts need to go, tiggy springs can go in.

hello , do you happen to have the order information for the rear springs that you installed ... also do you happen to know if the Tig springs are the same height ?

tks for any info .... trying to research for my Golf TDI

B.

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
Tow Springs:

OE Part Number: 1K0511115CT
Manufacturer's Part Number: 1Brown1Red
http://http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3520

I'm not sure on the Tig springs....I'm in research mode myself. I'd like to raise front a little, but keep rear at same height as front when fully loaded. I probably only need to raise the front about an inch, if that.

I measured the height(ground to wheel well):
Front(original stock springs/HD struts) - 26" 3/4"
Rear(tow springs/HD shocks) - 28" 1/4"

Car is basically empty. Just the empty sky box on top.

It's also nice to not light up the tops of the trees when accelerating..Car used to squat horribly. I had to adjust the headlights up a bunch after the springs so I could see more than 5ft down the road with the low beams. No squat at all now.

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
At some point I plan on trying some Boge Tiguan springs that I found on rockauto.com. Boge is part of the ZF group, so quality should be good. Rear heavy duty towing springs and 4motion fronts sounds like a nice combo for a lift and to stiffen things up. The price seems right, at about the same cost for the set as the H&R lift springs, but likely to be more balanced, rather than the nose high attitude with the H&R fitment.

$234/set
$146/pr - BOGE 25-94G-0 - 4motion rear heavy duty
$88/pr - BOGE 25-Y46-0 - 4motion front

If someone gets around to it before me, please post results with pictures.

Sctdi123

TDI
Mk6 golf
At some point I plan on trying some Boge Tiguan springs that I found on rockauto.com. Boge is part of the ZF group, so quality should be good. Rear heavy duty towing springs and 4motion fronts sounds like a nice combo for a lift and to stiffen things up. The price seems right, at about the same cost for the set as the H&R lift springs, but likely to be more balanced, rather than the nose high attitude with the H&R fitment.

$234/set

Keep us posted on this ... really looking for a good setup. Let us know if alignment was aproblem or if all went wel.

tks, B.

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know if there are front springs for the SW that are rated higher but not so much of a lift as the tig springs. I'm trying to avoid stressing out the axles/etc. I guess in my case, I needed rear lifted/stiffened, but I need fronts more stiffened than raised. A small lift wouldn't be bad, but I definitely don't want rear to sit lower than front when fully loaded. It gets old being flashed because everyone thinks your hi beams are on...

Can someone with stock springs measure the height from ground to wheel well? I think I will probably get a lift just from fresh springs. I think my springs, at least the rears, were somewhat weak from day one. The car had been transported from one dealer to another, and I wonder if they went a little crazy tying the car down. Not sure how possible it would be to damage/compress springs that way, but my SW couldn't hold very much weight without sagging from new. Always seemed to sit much lower than others I came across.

I definitely love the tow springs. I put about 200lbs of dog and 150lbs of dog/cat food in back and I don't think it budged. If I had that in there before, I would be sagging.

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
I'd think that the 2WD Tiguan OEM springs, or the equivalent from Boge would be a good match to those rear tow springs. I know they result in a slightly taller ride, but I'm not sure that they're stiffer. I'd think perhaps they are.

Folks with the various springs need to start taking a caliper to the coils to see what diameter wire they're wound with. Thicker diameters will be stiffer. Fewer coils will be stiffer, although that may not vary in this these applications. Overall coil diameter will likely not vary either. Smaller is stiffer there.

As far as axle angles, I think the angle is pretty modest. Axles are wear items anyhow, and I don't think the angles at modest lift, say under 1.5" are too bad to significantly accelerate wear.

I ran a Legacy GT lifted about 1.75" on Outback coilovers and didn't notice anything untoward in regards to suspension angles. It was great to have a wagon that could haul 1,500 lbs and still look like it was at OEM ride height. Can't wait to put some stiffer springs on my JSW.

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the 2wd Tig fronts will be perfect. I can preset ride height with the Bilstein HD's. Not infinite, but higher or lower.

Just got back from 2 hour trip with the entire back of the car filled(seats down), with split oak firewood, that was definitely still a bit moist. Plus I had the 5x7 with quad on it, with more tongue weight than I usually have, and the car didn't budge. Still sits higher than stock. Felt like nothing. The wood alone would have collapsed my old springs.

Tow springs....Thumbs up :)

turboaz2

TDI
2013 JSW

$234/set

You should look at the shipping on those springs, it brings it to over $600.

Here are the spring rates I was able to discern based on the spring specs.

__________________________Strength____Length
Tiguan 4motion Rear HD:------234 lb-in----340mm
Tiguan 4motion Rear:----------183 lb-in----363mm

Tiguan 4motion TFSI Front:----184 lb-in----359mm

Sportwagen Rear HD:-----------194 lb-in----323mm
Sportwagen Rear:---------------149 lb-in----357mm

Sportwagen TDI Front:---------144.5 lb-in---345mm

I'm scouring the Catalogs for a taller spring at a similar rate.

Last edited:

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
Great info, and OMG on the shipping! Just a hair under $500 to my location. I'll call to see what the cheaper shipping option is to bring the price down a bit. At 5 sets, the price is more like $400/set, probably a little cheaper with economy shipping. Just palatable enough to be enticing.

That Tiguan rear HD spring would easily sit an inch taller than any other option and be much stiffer in doing so. It's 17mm taller than the JSW tow spring, and 22% stiffer to boot. In light of most of the pics and experiences I've read of the JSW tow springs may be sufficient for most. Save the Tiguan tow springs for those wanting max lift and load capability.

The 4motion fronts would seem to be a good match to the JSW tow springs. I'd suspect that those Boge HD rear springs would be a good match to the H&R lift front springs, if you were inclined to mix and match. Probably more so than the rear spring that comes with the H&R kit.

Any specs on the fwd Tiguan springs? What specific springs are you quoting specs on there in terms of manufacturer and part numbers, if possible.

You should look at the shipping on those springs, it brings it to over $600.

Here are the spring rates I was able to discern based on the spring specs.

I'm scouring the Catalogs for a taller spring at a similar rate.

turboaz2

TDI
2013 JSW

I'm scouring the Catalogs for a taller spring at a similar rate.[/QUOTE]
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The specs are compiled from the VW Body Manual, emails and calls to Boge and KYB. All were withing 1-2 lb-in when I calculated it based one the Spring Specs and dimensions.

I don't have anything on the FWD Tiguan.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
TDI Coast2Coast -

Are you running ONLY the rear towing springs?
Still stock up front for shocks/springs?
Your towing springs, are they the ones available at idparts.com?
What are you using for rear shocks?
What kind of ride quality difference have you noticed, if any?
What kind of height, unloaded, did you gain with the tow springs?

I am eventually looking to lift my wagon a touch, mostly to help with ground clearance and entering/exiting the car. In the process, if I can gain carrying capacity WITHOUT airbags, that would be great!

Any and all info is much appreciated.

Jason

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
I have Bilstein HD's all around and Stock front springs. I have air bags in rear, but lol I don't need them. I filled the back with firewood and towed a quad/trailer and the only reason I knew was I could chirp in 3rd pretty easy, trying to get away from trailer. I did have 10psi in bags, but they go to 50psi, I just like some air, keeps bags from rubbing.

Ride is significantly better. A bit stiff when empty, but I prefer stiff over soft(that's what she said). I takes turns much better as well, less body roll, plus both front and rear sway bars upgraded.

To be honest, it barely sank with wood/trailer. Didn't measure, but it was still higher in the back lol. I think just new front springs would work for me. I think they are kind of saggy and just done. I drive it hard.

Yes they were from ID parts...I don't have to even think about scraping now, with or without weight/trailer.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
anyone else having a problem viewing the latest posts in this thread? in the thread preview from the list of threads, i can see 175 posts. however, no matter what i do to refresh my browser, log in/log out, check on different devices . . . the latest post i can see is my last one, #169.

any thoughts? not even sure this post will show up . . .

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
All of tdi coast to coasts posts on the entire forum are gone.
Database error I hope.:mad:
He must have been thoroughly insulted when another member called him out on the "Heat" thread under this category. Among other comments he was called a "madman". After that it got worse.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4670373#post4670373

The Moderators should have caught it but the post is still there including both his and the "offender's" post.