Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
so utterly retarded
If you can't answer the op question, then don't post. See below (or above). It really ads no value to the thread. That's why this place is more enjoyable than VW Vortex.

Maybe useless in Kali, but people with snow or in areas with a lot of graveled and graded dirt roads can use another inch or so of clearance.
and mountainous areas have rocks in the road....truck retreads....lower back issues...frost heaves in the north-east....blah blah.

And some roads in California absolutely suck. Every state has this issue. It's totally normal to want some more clearance for piece of mind. Some lowered cars look totally bad ass (read: Toeball, Nikshub, et al). But it's not for everybody.

The cost of a small lift versus buying a new vehicle is easy math. Which is why I don't own a sub-20mpg Mall-Rated Jeep. Or a Tiguan.

Uh, back on topic.
If an A6 is lifted, will it screw with traction controls? Metalnerd would not sell to 2003 and up A4 owners for fear of traction controls (ASR) being triggered prematurely, usually in a turn.

Will an A6 experience this is the question.

A friend of mine just inherited a machine shop (garage type, not full blown business) and I think I and going to ask him to help me w/ a 1" lift (just spacers) and see what happens.

Also, people are probably getting rid of Tig springs on Vortex. You need to find non-sport, not 4motion. Just front wheel drive.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
So is this a CONFIRMED solution?
No. Somebody with ETKA should chime in. I am only willing to do spacers at the moment. Just need to find time to get the right measurements.

Tiggy ang MK6 Jetta/Golf share parts b/c of similar platform dimensions.

P0234

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW
^^^want...

Now if VWoA would get their heads out of their tails and produce an All-road TDI Sportwagen, I'd be ordering it as soon as it came out.

TDI
JettaSportWagen 2010
Hey I love the idea of a AWD Jetta TDI.
Like the monster SportsWagen, that would be the Mudder of all JSW's.

All right folks, been doing some hunting but the budget is weak but for those who want to forge ahead and show us how.
Came across this please take a look and enlighten the rest of us while lifting your vehicle.
One question looms is the sports wagon of the same suspension design as the jetta?
The info I put in for the selection was Jetta as they did not have a sportswagon as an option.
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/2010/VW/Jetta/Suspension/Air-Suspension-Kits/

Last edited:

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
subscribed!

I was loosely considering this, then after bottoming out my car numerous times at a remote camping and backing area I frequent I decided I must. I'll be watching to see what people come up with . I'm not sure I'm adventurous enough to be the first to try considering I have no knowledge of suspension except the basics of how they work.

+1 on the AWD sportwagen!

Dadskier

TDI
2013 JSW 6M
haha, I don't even have my Sportwagon yet and I was wondering if this is possible. I'm coming from an Outback and drive a lot into snowstorms to go skiing. I was thinking it would be nice to have a little more clearance.

Flexlarson

TDI
2012 tdi jetta wagon, jeep tj
I was thinking coilovers might work i put a jeep tj factory spacer under my rear coils and added airbags to keep rear from squating with bike rack and gear. Id like to lift it three inches. I to came from an outback and think clearance on stock jsw is way to low. My option raised it up over an inch in rear. What about adjudtable sus like vw toureg has.

Last edited:

Jason4

TDI
2012 Golf
I'm working on getting a set of Tiguan springs and I'll give them a try in the spring when I'm getting back onto logging roads. I expect that I'll find the stock shocks to be limited in maximum extension and I'll have to look at whether Tig shocks will fit.

And yes, I know, I should have bought a Tiguan...and VW should have sold a Tiguan TDI.

trevorc

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon
I know there are Tiguan owners who swapped in Jetta HR Springs to lower their Tiguans.

I was thinking OK, that will work the other way too, I could put Tiguan springs on my Golf, however after looking closer, I think it would lift it TOO much, if it even worked at all.

The weight is not really a big deal as a 4 Door GOLF TDI only weighs about 379 lbs less than a 2WD Tiguan with a Petrol Motor.

I like what this guy did:

... But I don't want to go to this extent, although I REALLY Love this! Especially on the rough roads I drive, this would be awesome. Any lowered car would be demolished trying to drive on these roads.

Maybe I should just build a buggy & put a TDI engine in it.
Is there a website or URL to go with this photo ?

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Some preliminary measurements....w/ pics.

Well happy thanksgiving folks. I got some time to measure and take pics. Crappy cell pics but better than none.
My Golf is lifted mildly. I love it, my wife loves it and she drives it. It has 20mm of suspension lift in the front and 19mm in the rear. Still on factory springs. It sports 205/70-15 Geolander ATS tires (approximately 26.3"). The suspension lift plus the tires gives me approximately 7+ inches of space at the lowest point of the Panzer skid plate. Overall, we love the car for it's all around performance.

On the Golf, the limiting factor is the space between the bottom of the front strut spring cup and the top of the tire. Without a wheel spacer and fender rolling the max tire size is realistically 27" tall or 235/65-15, 215/70-15, yada yada yada, go here and play.

The same rules will hold true for the A6 body JSW/Golf. If you decide to keep your stock struts (most would) then the bottom of the front spring cup will ultimately limit wheel size. Coilovers? Feel free to comment. I have no experience.

There is approximately 1" of space between the top of my tire and the bottom of the spring cup.

[/IMG]

Pic isn't clear but it is there. That would give approximately a 27" tire, maximum, in my opinion.
Also I think the tire would make the front and rear clearance at the front and rear of the wheel well.

Front of the front:

[/IMG]

Rear of the front:

[/IMG]

A tire w/ 26"+ size will give at least .5" lift alone. I also believe it would fit (barely) w/o any lift at all. It would fill the well quite nicely at a minimum.
So, to get say 1" of suspension lift is actually no different than the way it's done on the A4 Golf/Jetta/Beetle. Spacers.
Spacers is all it would really take. It will take some sourcing but the rear looks to be the same inside diameter opening as my 2000 Golf.
[/IMG]

The pic really doesn't show much but just by a visual I am going to assume (for me :) ) that a 10mm, 19mm poly spacer from here will work. I have the 3/4" in the rear of my Golf as we speak. No noise/squeaks at all. And now they are on sale! I paid $40 before shipping last time....I think I will get 1 of each this time...Evolution and Kerma sell longer lifts. The front won't work (more on this below).

Anyway, looks like the rear will be easy. Stock fender height at the rear of my wagon is 27" from the ground. I may try a 3/8" bushing for the rear. I'm not interested in lifting the rear much more.

OK, now for the front.
Spacers: for my A4 Golf, all it took was two sets of these. They are 10mm each. Done. Unfortunately for us, the front strut compression shaft diameters are different sizes.

[/IMG]

In my Golf (Bilstein TC non-sport) are approximately 22mm.
JSW: (OE struts) approximately 25mm

Other measurements:
Lowest point of Skidplate (both Diesel Geek Panzers)
Golf: 7+" after lift
JSW: 5" no lift

So, it looks to me the hardest part will be lifting the front an inch or so to get 26"+ tires under there, reliably, with no rub issues what so ever.
I would like to ream out a front lift spacer from DG or Evolution/Kerma so as to fit over the strut shaft. I think that would be the easiest way.....if-all-my-assumptions-are-correct ;)

I have 15,000 miles on my wagon so this is not going to happen for me anytime soon. I would still like to get the parts ready in anticipation for some new tires. Some 26.5" Winter Performance tires would be sick on this wagon.
And then there is a wavetrac... :D.

OOh, it's beer-30. Gotta go. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Diesel on.

[edit: purchased one 3/8" poly spacer and one 3/4" poly spacer from Autotech. I will test fit these in December. Hard not to pull the trigger on a Wavetrac LSD]

Last edited:

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
I'm working on getting a set of Tiguan springs and I'll give them a try in the spring when I'm getting back onto logging roads. I expect that I'll find the stock shocks to be limited in maximum extension and I'll have to look at whether Tig shocks will fit.

And yes, I know, I should have bought a Tiguan...and VW should have sold a Tiguan TDI.
Post back when you do, please.

Oh, and you and me both know that VW would not have sold it w/ 4 motion anyway. Buttheads.

Last edited:

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
[edit: purchased one 3/8" poly spacer and one 3/4" poly spacer from Autotech. I will test fit these in December. Hard not to pull the trigger on a Wavetrac LSD]
Really looking forward to the results! My bottom panels look like someone went at them with a ball peen hammer;-)

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Alright, that was a small pain, but it worked!

Really looking forward to the results! My bottom panels look like someone went at them with a ball peen hammer;-)
In a nutshell, they work. Working with independent rear suspensions takes a little more thought than the A4 twist-beam. It is pouring rain today, so I backed the wagen in and had a look...

Jack it up high, support it well, and take your time. When playing with springs under tension, take it slow and think things through.

[/IMG]

On a lift, this would be a breeze. Oh well. :) I only worked on the left rear. This is just a test fit, not an install, yet...

To make a long story short, they work. The goal is to safely get to the top of the spring to get the spring isolator bushing out so to test fit the Autotech poly bushings.

[/IMG]

Getting the suspension to sag enough took some thought. Besides disconnecting the upper shock mount, I ended up removing the swaybar end-links from both sides. This is not like the ole' A4. You need an M6 triple square to hold the center bolt, and a 16mm (I think..) to remove the nut:

[/IMG]

The suspension still didn't sag enough to get to the top of the spring. So, lower outside control arm bolt came out, AFTER I supported the control arm with my jack...It's the one with the red nylock on it.

[/IMG]

And then, the control arm drooped enough for access...

[/IMG]

The spring does not have to come out. You get a ton of space to work with...first up, the 10mm spacer...then 19mm...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I had to fight with the lower control arm bolt/arm/hub. So important to take your time. My jack did slip. You have to have some forward leverage on the jack when lining these components up...

[/IMG]

Eventually, it gets there. Bolt everything up in reverse order...blah blah.

Anyway, as far as test fit is concerned, the Autotech rear poly spacers work for the rear springs. My wagen is back to normal and we need to find a front solution. Whether it be Tig springs, Metalnerd-style spacers, other, let's solve it!

Last edited:

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
It seems to me that a logical way to do a JSW or Golf lift would be to use OEM springs from a foreign market with higher cars. For example, I believe in Canada and Brazil Golfs have a higher ride height and smaller wheels to deal with worse roads. (Examples: Golf Brazil, Jetta Variant Brazil)
Thanks! Now I know that the same car in Brazil is cheaper, has HID's and headlight washer nozzles....and fog lamps! :mad:

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Anybody else thinking/working on this?

I lost a fight with a curb on the 22nd. Friggen Tuaranza's are worthless in snow...2 rims, bent rear swingarm, right tie rod...no body damage or personal damage.

[/IMG]

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
Dang, that sucks man!! Glad you are ok!!

I've been following your work on this and I am sure many others have been to. If i had the time and technical know how (on this type of work) and had another vehicle to drive in the event that I messed something up, I'd have my hand at it.

I hope your car is able to recover form the battle with the curb. I've decided to go with some bigger tires that will give me a 1" lift once my oem's are dead in a few k-miles. But the under part of the car and the front bumper will be so much happier if it can get a little bit more of a lift.

J

tucker74

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
Funny I came across this today, I've been lusting after a Passat Alltrack that they aren't going to bring here :( Maybe I can make my own with my 2010 JSW :confused:

Now if we could only get 4Motion too ...

Tucker

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
You can.
1. Price out a Tiguan w/ 4motion
Then
2. Lift your wagen.
3. Wavetrak lsd for the trans.
4. Larger diameter winter tires.

Your order may vary...

hardtimes

TDI
2014 Q5
You can.
1. Price out a Tiguan w/ 4motion
Then
2. Lift your wagen.
3. Wavetrak lsd for the trans.
4. Larger diameter winter tires.

Your order may vary...
I imagine the Tiguan will be available in tdi for the mkvii, in which case ill likely move to that. Generally I don't do such things as I think it's a waste of money. Ie, keep buying the latest and greatest as they come out, however in this case my interpretation of reality says its justified. ;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
I kept thinking I read a thread about the tiguan springs on a JSW somewhere... Found it tonight over on the Vortex site:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5498963-Tiggy-springs-2010-JSW-TDI-LOVE!

I wonder where he got his tiggy springs for $110???
Can you get those part numbers for those springs? I don't have a Vortex account. Would be good to know the year and model he got those from.

I read the whole thread and was wondering, how bad is the top out with that much lift? He starts to talk about it at the end. I have a friend who has an 03 Beetle w/ too much lift and it tops out often enough that it is annoying and questionable long term.

I'm wondering if a spacer between the top of the strut and strut tower would do.....that is the way they lift some suv's and small trucks (Tracker/Sidekick, Jeep Liberty)

[edit: A quick look in Rock Auto at a 2009 Tig yields $50 sets of coilsprings....Boge and Monroe brand w/ a $75 heavy duty option in the rear. Hmmm.]

Last edited:

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
Can you get those part numbers for those springs? I don't have a Vortex account. Would be good to know the year and model he got those from.

I read the whole thread and was wondering, how bad is the top out with that much lift? He starts to talk about it at the end. I have a friend who has an 03 Beetle w/ too much lift and it tops out often enough that it is annoying and questionable long term.

I'm wondering if a spacer between the top of the strut and strut tower would do.....that is the way they lift some suv's and small trucks (Tracker/Sidekick, Jeep Liberty)

[edit: A quick look in Rock Auto at a 2009 Tig yields $50 sets of coilsprings....Boge and Monroe brand w/ a $75 heavy duty option in the rear. Hmmm.]
The top out might be a simple matter of replacing shocks/springs as a combo. That's how a suspension should be setup anyway. If done properly, seems like Tiggy suspension on a JSW is a decent way to raise it and improve the ride.

Also, it depends on what model rig you get the suspension from, I think the SEL has a "sports" suspension.