LF: Oilpan for BEW

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Sitting on the side of the 400 as I type this. Something big flew off the back of a transport truck and took out the oilpan. Got it shutdown before the idiot light came on so I'm not to worried about the engine. Need an oilpan obviously. . Used is fine as long as its never been repaired.

Last edited:

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Broke mine a few years ago hitting a raised man hole cover that wasn't marked. The metal skid plate was bent into the oil pan which in turn broke.

They don't always help.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Broke mine a few years ago hitting a raised man hole cover that wasn't marked. The metal skid plate was bent into the oil pan which in turn broke.
They don't always help.
I've heard the same as well.. The VW pans aren't the greatest, lol.

Here she is going for a ride! Weee!!!!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
You need to tint that bad boy.

As for skid plates. No, they don't always help, but they certainly reduce the risk. Even if the plate gets hit hard enough to damage the pan, it would deflect a direct hit. So instead of taking a huge chunk out of the pan and dumping all the oil out instantly, the plate would probably just crack the pan, causing the oil to leak out a bit slower. At least enough time for you to pull over to a safe place.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I saw the trail of oil and pulled over before the idiot light came on, I guess that's the only good thing about a big puncture. With a skidplate on, the oil could have pooled up and I would have been at the mercy of the idiot light.

As for the tint? Ehhh... I wanted this car OEM and clean, no tint, no nothing.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Being lowered probably didn't help either. $hit happens.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I have a brand new pan, bit far from Barrie though - if you're interested I can meet you part way Bill, let me know. I picked it up from The Source last year and ended up not using it.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Lift the engine, spacers are as cheap as anything, I think it's like £40 for a 20mm lift.

As for tints, the gold fish bowl look is in this season don't you know :D

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lift the engine, spacers are as cheap as anything, I think it's like £40 for a 20mm lift.

As for tints, the gold fish bowl look is in this season don't you know :D
This is a good idea, since the car is lowered it will also sraighten out the CVs. Make them last longer and reduce the chance of excessive vibration.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I have a brand new pan, bit far from Barrie though - if you're interested I can meet you part way Bill, let me know. I picked it up from The Source last year and ended up not using it.
Thanks Aaron, I've actually got a pan off my old ALH, I completely forgot I had it. However, I don't have a 10mm 1/4in swivel socket to get those two god damn bolts out on the tranny side.. If you had that, I'd gladly drive to Guelph and borrow that from you, lol! I haven't tried a 5mm ball end yet, but I don't have much faith in it...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Oil pan bolts should not be that tight. It can't hurt to try a 5mm ball end. Just get a quality one so the head doesn't break off.

For more leverage, use a bit instead of a key so you can use a ratchet. If you don't already have a 5mm ball end bit, make one. Cut off the short end of an allen key, then use a 5mm socket with the straight long end.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
My original pan bolts came out with the 5mm ball ended allen key at about 150,000 miles and I live in an area of outstanding natural salt! :D

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
As for the tint? Ehhh... I wanted this car OEM and clean, no tint, no nothing.
What I don't understand is you say that, yet you put rims and lowered it? thats not 'nothing'. Its a nice wagon as far as wagons are concerned(I dont care for them), but even a mild tint would clean the lines up so you dont see the seat belts and seats as well.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
What I don't understand is you say that, yet you put rims and lowered it? thats not 'nothing'. Its a nice wagon as far as wagons are concerned(I dont care for them), but even a mild tint would clean the lines up so you dont see the seat belts and seats as well.
Who cares if you see the seats and seat belts? I don't drive a limo, lol.

To me more is less. A nice drop and some rims and that's it.. I've been there and done that with my old Jetta (5% tint, tinted tails, tinted sidemarkers, etc etc).. OEM and clean is the name of the game :)

And FYI, OEM refers to no aftermarket grills/bumpers/other hideous things people put on their cars, etc etc. Nothing to do with it being 100% stock right from the dealer..

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The visibility of seat belts is exactly what the police looks for and gives out tickets for tints. Tints look cool but are a PITA at night.