Let's play name that engine part and help me identify my coolant leak!

lardope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV
So I have a slow, slow, very slow, coolant leak. I put stuff in my coolant tank that glows under UV light and found the culprit I think. See pictures. Now I just have to figure out what the heck I'm looking at and I'll see if I can find a youtube video explaining how to replace it!

Also, is there no way of embedding photos in these posts (Okay solved. Thanks Nero Morg!)

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
There is, use the photo icon in the text box.

Also, that's the coolant flange. Probably just needs a new o ring.

Unless it's leaking around one of the glow plugs. If it is, take the glow plug out, apply thread tape, put back in.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yes it does. Regardless if it's the o ring or the glow plug. Which is it leaking from?

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
The oring is a common fail point there.

Off topic but what are those 3 sensor things? And why does one of alhs have them and the other doesn't? Is it because one was born an automatic?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The automatic doesn't have them, as nero said if they are leaking pull them, use some thread tape and call it good.

lardope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV
Just getting around to this, but I am going to try and replace the O-ring coolant flange tomorrow. I see no youtube videos dedicated to this, so I am going in blind. If anyone knows anything please let me know. From just looking at it, I see two small bolts to remove. I'm hoping that's basically it!

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Just getting around to this, but I am going to try and replace the O-ring coolant flange tomorrow. I see no youtube videos dedicated to this, so I am going in blind. If anyone knows anything please let me know. From just looking at it, I see two small bolts to remove. I'm hoping that's basically it!
Is that a BEW?? Looks like you made it 8 months!

I have an ALH, had a coolant leak a few falls ago. It was the coolant flange O-Ring. I would just replace any O-rings in general area while coolant is drained. For myself did the coolant flange ring to head, ring between that and glow plug flange and CTS o-ring, and might as well replace CTS as well but your call. Ha I think at the time I cheaped on the latter and ended up having to do a month later lol. Ya I think it was two bolts but watch your torque when re-installing I had a weird issue with a bolt stripping but got lucky and was ok. The bolt itself stretched and broke, check my threads if your interested. This all being said not sure what you car has as it looks different than mine hence the BEW question. Good luck!!

lardope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV
Is that a BEW?? Looks like you made it 8 months!

I have an ALH, had a coolant leak a few falls ago. It was the coolant flange O-Ring. I would just replace any O-rings in general area while coolant is drained. For myself did the coolant flange ring to head, ring between that and glow plug flange and CTS o-ring, and might as well replace CTS as well but your call. Ha I think at the time I cheaped on the latter and ended up having to do a month later lol. Ya I think it was two bolts but watch your torque when re-installing I had a weird issue with a bolt stripping but got lucky and was ok. The bolt itself stretched and broke, check my threads if your interested. This all being said not sure what you car has as it looks different than mine hence the BEW question. Good luck!!
BEW, yes! I did. The leak is almost negligible, but looks like it caused some corrosion and dealing with it means that I can stop carrying a jug of coolant in my trunk, lol. What is the CTS?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I don't envy you. I lost my coolant this morning testing out a new tune revision, and I lost my coolant somehow from the lower radiator hose... and doing the same driving conditions, can't replicate it now!

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I don't envy you. I lost my coolant this morning testing out a new tune revision, and I lost my coolant somehow from the lower radiator hose... and doing the same driving conditions, can't replicate it now!
Check the radiator tanks and where they're clamped to the core. Mysterious coolant leaks where I can't find where they came from, ended up being there on three different cars. It'll hold pressure until the conditions get stressful, leak, and then seal right back up.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yep.

From experience: Water pump seal fails, coolant leaks, ok, that's a timing belt job.
Do it, don't change the CTS O-ring because its not leaking (so why, right) and as soon as you're done guess what leaks next? Uh huh.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Yep.

From experience: Water pump seal fails, coolant leaks, ok, that's a timing belt job.
Do it, don't change the CTS O-ring because its not leaking (so why, right) and as soon as you're done guess what leaks next? Uh huh.
I did have a water pump that leaked only when the engine was cold. Once some pressure built up, it would seal up tight. Different car though.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Yep.

My water pump seal better not fail! I just did my timing belt under 300 miles ago!

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I'm ordering parts to fix a coolant leak in this area (coolant temp sensor). What other parts should I order? I have the larger coolant flame oring, CTS o ring. Is there another one? This is an alh with no coolant glow plugs (5 speed swapped auto alh)

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
I'm not sure wrapping teflon tape around the plug heaters is a good idea.
Current is supposed to flow through them to ground.
If tape insulated all but a small contact area that area could get hot.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Good point, that area does get hot and those can catch on fire even unmodified. The plugs look like mine, all cracked apart. I'd just replace all that stuff if it was me. Then you don't have to redo the job because the part you didn't fix let go when its freezing outside on your way to work. Though I haven't fixed mine because it hasn't yet caused a disaster.