Lesson Learned: Snow Removal

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I had a moment of brilliance this morning. There was about an inch of wet, slushy snow on the Passat. I needed to put something in the trunk. When I opened the trunk, the slush from both the trunk and the rear window broke loose at the same time and went through the funnel formed by the trunk and window. I had a regular snow bank in my trunk! :eek:

Fortunately I have the removable mat that comes with the CarGo system so I dumped it easily. I'm so glad this didn't happen two days ago when I had a trunk load of wrapped gifts. :eek:

Anyway, word to the wise: remove slush before opening trunk!

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Yep has happened to me more than once on my Jetta. Has yet to happen on the Passat. Also the water on the roof seems to have an annoying habit of jumping over the channel and dumping on my left arm when I get in. Whatever happened to real drip rails?

GammaRae

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG SE w/Sunroof
Yep has happened to me more than once on my Jetta. Has yet to happen on the Passat. Also the water on the roof seems to have an annoying habit of jumping over the channel and dumping on my left arm when I get in. Whatever happened to real drip rails?
This. It's the only annoyance I have so far with the vehicle. Happens in the rear seats more than front. In this part of the world it has the potential of being a continual sore spot.

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
We had an ice storm here that pretty much completely covered the fuel door. It's very hard to get open when iced over because there's nothing to grab onto. It's also hard to push it in to release it when it's iced over. I really started to wonder if I was going to get it open without damaging the door for a few minutes.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
LOL! Been there, done that. :eek:

Also, real drip rails aren't aerodynamic and you'd suffer an MPG penalty. So instead, you suffer by getting wet. ;)

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
doesnt this happen in most cars? i get a new company car every year (different model usually) anyway, i always wipe the trunk down before i open it. where do you think all that snow is going to go?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
doesnt this happen in most cars? i get a new company car every year (different model usually) anyway, i always wipe the trunk down before i open it. where do you think all that snow is going to go?
I'm sorry. I was trying to add some levity while pointing out something practical for those of us who aren't always right on top of things, like you are. I didn't mean to offend you and your flawless approach to life. You should be commended for your ability to avoid life's humorous little moments.

I'm coming off a Jeep, a Golf, and a Passat wagon so I haven't had a snow chute in waiting like this in a long time.

But now I know!

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Real driprails could be aerodynamic, but we probably wouldn't like what they looked like or how many other little bits would get tacked on to manage the local airflow.

Like the running board, another useful device lost to progress.

Yours
Vern