Legal euro conversion ideas

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I know that vw makes engines for almost every make and model of vehicle in Europe, it makes me think the blocks have the correct bolt patterns for those vehicles, but the internals could be the same as our beloved TDI.

This might be a stretch, but it's easier to import a block, than a complete engine. We've got tons of junk TDIs here in the USA, and should be able to transfer the guts and electronics over to the conversion vehicle.

So, here's what I would like to find out:
What engines were available overseas that use VW 4 cylinder engine designs, but with a different bolt pattern to fit transmissions over here.

Are the transmission bell housings different between overseas vehicles that use the vw engines using the standard vw bell housing?

Any breakers out in Europe want to do some research?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Vw engine blocks are pretty much the same around the globe, most of the difference is the engine codes, tuning, and exhaust after treatment.

Also regardless of parts used if the engine code does not have an EPA certificate of conformity it's not legal for import/conversion.

dieselcrawler

TDI
1.6td jetta
but i think you can still import them for off road use infact there is a guy on ebay that sell imported engines the worring thing is he dosenot state anything you said above

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
but i think you can still import them for off road use infact there is a guy on ebay that sell imported engines the worring thing is he dosenot state anything you said above
There is no such thing as off road use only.

There are a few provisions for small engine, ancient engines, mining equipment, R&D etc, marine engines etc.

However lying on a customs declaration form is a felony, so you could do 10 years and have to pay a $100,000 fine if caught.

For the non believers straight from the EPA...

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

Last edited: