LED Tailights for MK6 golf/jetta Sportwagen

MoestwuntedWagon

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Hey guys just wondering if there is any decent led kits/ aftermarket Tail lights for the mk6 wagon. I’ve seen the ECS tuning led tail lights however they don’t sell them any more and was wondering if anyone has found a good alternative to those.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I just put some red LED "bulbs" in my Golf mk7 Sportwagen - $20/pair (put them in both the inner and outer bulb positions; not sure how the Mk6 tails are configured).
Had the opportunity to drive behind the car for about 45minutes the other day and gotta say - quite pleased with the look. Bright scarlet red instead of the orange-red of normal halogen bulbs; and the sharp on/off of LEDs.

I got rid of the "sequential" thing picture above, but gives you a sense.

7440 bulbs in the Mk7; not sure what the mk6 uses.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oh - those are good!
The other day, I had the opportunity to drive behind my Mk7 wagon for the first time since I pulled the red reflector out of the bottom outer signal light position and replacing it with an amber LED. That's so clearly the way it oughta be.
Can't believe that VW chose to go with those stupid red turn signals instead of amber

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
These are the Vland sequentials I got for my Golf:
Those are cool, but the problem is that the Mk6 wagon uses a different tail light housing. There's basically nothing I can find available aftermarket for the wagon specifically, everything is for the hatchback, and the hatchback stuff doesn't fit.

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
These are about the only thing available out there.

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
That doesn't fit the wagon. With the exception of what Pipesta posted, none of these suggestions fit the Mk6 wagon, as far as taillights are concerned (headlights are the same, but then what's the point if you're stuck with a mismatch?) Honestly I don't understand why there's basically no aftermarket options for the wagon.

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
That doesn't fit the wagon. With the exception of what Pipesta posted, none of these suggestions fit the Mk6 wagon, as far as taillights are concerned (headlights are the same, but then what's the point if you're stuck with a mismatch?) Honestly I don't understand why there's basically no aftermarket options for the wagon.
I know, it sucks. The tails on the wagens leave a lot to be desired. TBH, I don't really care for the euro tails I posted from eBay either. I'd be willing to pay some decent money for a nice LED tail light housing for my wagen.

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh - those are good!
The other day, I had the opportunity to drive behind my Mk7 wagon for the first time since I pulled the red reflector out of the bottom outer signal light position and replacing it with an amber LED. That's so clearly the way it oughta be.
Can't believe that VW chose to go with those stupid red turn signals instead of amber
I think that's a regulatory thing, turn signals in the US are required to have a larger surface area than ones in Europe. I'm guessing just the amber portion wasn't large enough, so VW decided to just use the entire taillight as the turn signal.