LED tail lights causing issues

djestes

TDI
2001 golf alh
I have a 2001 golf lab tdi, and I recently installed new led tail lights and ever since my glow plug light has been flashing. On my vagcom software it says a break pedal sensor is activated at all times and I replaced it and still no change. But if I plug my old ones back in the green foot on my transmission popped back up. I need help?!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The ECU monitors the brake lights. If both brake light bulbs blow (not the top one), the GP light will begin to flash.
So, in your case, the ECU thinks those LEDs are blown bulbs (zero resistance).

For the ECU in my Vanagon with the ALH engine, to monitor brake lights, I mounted one light bulb under the back seat. I'm using the Cluster from the 2002 Jetta donor engine. So, all the bells and whistles are there, including the GP light for it's purposes besides letting you know the GPs are glowing.

Hope this helps!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You can get LEDs that are "CANBUS"-compatible, which have resistors built into them (I think that's how they work), or you can just wire in your own resistors (~$10 for a two-pack from Amzn).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Four pack at amazon for <$10. Whatever circuit has the LEDs, you just add these to the circuit. Plenty of "instructables" out there on youtube or wherever. "how to wire LED load resistors"

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
OP, as I implied in post #3, the ECU only monitors the Left and Right brake light bulbs................ not the the third brake light bulb.

Although it is apparent that the resistors work, should there be concern of heat from them?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Best practice with the resistors is to attach them to some body metal.

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I just tried installing leds. I have the same issue with the flashing glow plug light. I really don't want to use resistors, but that looks like it is the only option for the brake lights. I did find this on youtube for fixing the hyper-flashing for the turn signals.

Has anyone tried this?

On my 2003 Golf, there are four wires leading into the taillight assembly. Does anyone know which lines I would need to apply the resistor to for the brake lights?