LED lights

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Hey, has anone used LED turn signal lights? I am getting a set of E-Codes and am wondering if I can put LED turn signal as well as LED city lights in, The city lights are 194 bulbs, but not sure what the turn signals are. Do i need some sort of resistor so the turn signals will flash?

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
You do need resistor, leds are not too good for this app.

Better luck with city lights and with stop/fog. Do a search for user:eek:ctavian and 'led' as a search term.

el_flasho

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
go to superbrightleds.com for plenty of cheap led's. for the city lights you might want the kind that has like 5 led's. 4 aim out to the sides and 1 aims outward.

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
JW,

I have the 6 LED 'bulbs' from superbrightleds.com (WLED-W6, White) in my Golf as city lights and like them. Let me know if you would like to see them in action!

Al

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Yes, Id love to see what they look like!! By the way, how did u like all this crappy ICE?? The ESP worked perfectly and the ASC subset was awesome to get going. Glad its over though. Time to drive my old BMW untill they sweep up all the gravel. BTW, I am in SE PDX

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
JW,

I am in SW Portland, perhaps we can figure a time to meet up? Drop me a PM if interested.

I stayed home all day Saturday. My '02 Golf doesn't have ASR (yet) or ESP and I didn't feel like swapping on the Arctic Alpins for 1 day, so I just worked on it for a good portion of the day (DG skidplate prep).

I get so sick of the sanding/gravel mess after an "event" like that, just wish they would stop that nonsense. Does sanding like madmen help THAT much to have to live with all that gravel for months afterward? Guess how I feel about it.

Al

ReKt

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDi 2001 (Reflex Silver)
By city lights are you referring to the small orange (stock) bulb in the headlight housing?? If so,what specific type of LED can be used for replacement??

el_flasho

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
By city lights are you referring to the small orange (stock) bulb in the headlight housing?? If so,what specific type of LED can be used for replacement??
city lights are only in e-codes. they're a dim white light that acts kinda like a parking light that you can switch to instead of having the full low-beams on.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
It's not exactly orange (that's the turn signal)

It's a very small wedge bulb in the high beam housing.

I have a single LED (white) from http://www.42draftdesigns.com/

IMO, buying a a multiple LED "bulb" is cool, but not worth the extra money for its function as a indicator. But if buying the 4/6 LED "bulb", floats your boat, then by all means

MarkWaddle

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS Black
i have the euroswitch with my stock headlights.

when i switch the parking light position my amber lights in my headlights and in my bumper light up.

i have e-codes on the way from cullen. what will light up with them when i switch to parking light position? just the city-lights? or what?

thanks
Mark

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
i have the euroswitch with my stock headlights.

when i switch the parking light position my amber lights in my headlights and in my bumper light up.

i have e-codes on the way from cullen. what will light up with them when i switch to parking light position? just the city-lights? or what?

thanks
Mark
I answered ReKT's question that way because he has a Golf (as do I).

Stock Jetta and Stock Golf headlights use a 3157 bulb (dual filament).

The parking light for the Jetta is the low watt filament. Golfs use a separate (W5W) bulb.

Turn signals, both use the high watt filament.

Jetta (Bora) E-codes

Use a H4 bulb, PY21W turn signal, and underneath the H4 bulb, is the separate W5W bulb for the parking lights

Hope that clears it up for you

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
And don't forget that any color other than white or amber that is viewable from the front of your vehicle is probably illegal and ticketable.

That includes the blue as shown in the picture above. Check you Province/State rules.

And please don't complain here if you get a ticket.

ausinus

TDI
1998 Jetta GL TDI , white, 166,000 miles
Your right on the colour that must show. It must be amber or white to the front for parking/city lights. Amber for the signals.
I installed The In-pro e-code headlights for my Jetta 3 and these have the city lights installed and I have them running as parking lights. Checked my laws in PA, that's how I know the right colour. Anything other than those colours and the red flag goes up.