LED into stock headlight housing

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)
I bought some LED bulbs for my low beams.
They were 30$ and a direct plug and play H7 bulb (but not halogen).

Do you think there are any heating concerns about using this led in the low beam cartridge?

Why I ask... I noticed a lot of LED H7 replacement options have heat sinks and fans and will not be a direct fit (except for lasfit, and are $$$). You would need to buy adapters for the others and I don't believe the dust covers would fit, and if they did, they would hold in heat. Right?

Overthinking?

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The reason lasfit and few others have a heatsink / fan is they have a built in resistor for the error out messages. To help keep them cool.

The low beams is easy twist and play for the passat.

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)
I don't know if I had changed something with VCDS prior to installing these, but I don't have a code yet. (I think when I installed my license plate leds I changed something...but heck if I know where I kept that info)

It was literally an H7 led bulb swap.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
In 09 Central Electric, Byte 17 Bit 7 is the license plate Led settings.

Byte 19 controls the voltage for head lights and tail lights.
Byte 24 controls DRL voltage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The reason lasfit and few others have a heatsink / fan is they have a built in resistor for the error out messages. To help keep them cool.

The low beams is easy twist and play for the passat.
Also high powered LED chips actually can burn quite a bit of power. So while they do have resistors, to mimic halogens impedance, it probably helps keep the chip sets cool.

if the LED bulb has no fan, i'd be curious of the life span vs fanned ones.

Also Lasfit has sales so frequently, its pretty easy to score 20% off promo code.