LED Headlights for MK7

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I searched several pages looking for LED headlight posts and came up empty. Its been a few years since I drove a vehicle with basic halogen lights and boy I forgot how dim they are. What are the recommendations for either LED bulbs or full blown headlight replacements for the GOLF?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
For complete LED replacement assemblies, I would NOT recommend Osram LEDriving units.

While they are very good-looking and build quality is at least as good as OEM (unlike virtually all other aftermarket replacement options), color temperature is too high (6500K) and light output is only so-so. On the plus side, beam pattern and cutoff are good. The sequential LED turn signals are either gimmicky or cool, depending on your taste, but adding the matching Osram side mirror sequential signals moves closer to the cool end of the spectrum. The sequential headlight turn signals are not synchronized with the OEM side mirror turns, but the Osram sequential side mirror turns solve that problem.

These are bi-LED, without separate high beams, and the un-shuttered highs are underwhelming. These would be a good candidate for a change to a higher output/lower color temp LED and projector.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - I'd skip LEDs; the bulbs are almost all just way too "blue" (6000K-ish color temp); great if you're in SoCal on dry concrete, but on wet pavement....the road absolutely vanishes under that color of light.

Best aftermarket seems to be Ed's (becautoparts.com) - look like Mk7.5, use HIDs, which he can include as part of the package.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I searched several pages looking for LED headlight posts and came up empty. Its been a few years since I drove a vehicle with basic halogen lights and boy I forgot how dim they are. What are the recommendations for either LED bulbs or full blown headlight replacements for the GOLF?
These are Great!!! Plug & Play

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
spend a little more and buy ed's. add the hylux hids.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These are Great!!! Plug & Play
Any lighting "upgrade" video that doesn't include footage of the beam pattern is telling you something very, very LOUDLY!

Unless the housing was designed for a bespoke LED matrix, LEDs are for (how the car) *looks*, not for *looking" (from the driver seat at a dark road).

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
becautoparts.com no longer shows HID configuration for the Mk 7.5 lights; they appear now to be LED only and they don't specify color temp. A call to them would hopefully yield some more info on these reconfigured lights.

Before I went with the Osram LEDriving units, I considered either the deAutokey LED or HID kits in the OE reflector housings. For a modest investment you could go this route as a first step and then, if they prove insufficient for your needs, go with Ed's Replicas.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - looks like becautoparts.com is out of stock on the lights that would fit our Mk7 cars. The one I linked above is for the Mk7.5 car (m.y. 2018+); whereas before he had some lights that had that same styling, but fit the Mk7 (2015) TDI cars.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I just installed the LASFIT on the entire car, and I'm very pleased. No errors or codes, all plug and play. I had a heck of a time squeezing my hand in to get the passenger side high beam. I ended up unbolting the fuel filter and moving it sideways just to give me another inch or two for my hand. Lights are plenty bright and and quick test drive resulted in nobody flashing me. I am very pleased with the lights so far.

The tail lights were very easy install. The map light overhead....ummm not easy for me. I might have broke something. The map lights only work when I apply pressure to the bulbs. I would attach a photo but I don't see any button for attaching pictures, just links ?

Last edited:

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
We have the OE HID lighting package on both the GSW and the Hatch and I am quite pleased.
I also love my OE lighting package, especially after VCDS coding to European specs. Unfortunately I don’t think the OP can install them. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the wire harness for non light-package vehicles is different, also they don’t have the required level sensor on the rear torsion beam.

My vote would be for OSRAM. I’ve seen them in person. Fit and finish is perfect. Color temp is a bit high but most LEDs are. They also have the superior (in my opinion) European beam pattern, not the US DOT. That’s why they’re a little more difficult to find here. They’re technically not legal in the US. Pricey but worth it.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
I also love my OE lighting package, especially after VCDS coding to European specs. Unfortunately I don’t think the OP can install them. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the wire harness for non light-package vehicles is different, also they don’t have the required level sensor on the rear torsion beam.

My vote would be for OSRAM. I’ve seen them in person. Fit and finish is perfect. Color temp is a bit high but most LEDs are. They also have the superior (in my opinion) European beam pattern, not the US DOT. That’s why they’re a little more difficult to find here. They’re technically not legal in the US. Pricey but worth it.
It is possible to install the OEM HID setup, here's a link to GeorgeAb's DIY on GolfMK7 forums:

I haven't really read through this particular DIY but I did use his DIY guide to upgrade the wife's 2015 wagon to MIB2 so I know his instructions are good and he's great about answering questions when he can help. IF you had access to a parts car so you could get all the parts needed it would make it much easier as well as less spendy.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would agree that build quality is excellent and that they are pricey.:) Whether they are worth it I would say depends on your driving conditions. If you regularly need the un-shuttered highs for low traffic country roads, you're probably going to find the LEDrivings inadequate and without a means of easily increasing beam reach because these are bi-LED without separate highs and the LEDs are not conventionally replaceable. For driving mainly with the shuttered lows, lighting performance is good with respect to beam pattern and cutoff and adequate with respect to visibility. The plug-and-play design and aesthetics are certainly high points, too.

I feel somewhat committed to running them now and I think the answer for me will be to convert them to HID bulbs & projectors, using a chrome projector shroud to add a little contrast to the all-black styling (mine are actually the "chrome" version which adds a thin chrome strip above the dynamic turn LEDs (but not quite enough visual contrast for me).

BTW, these are also DOT illegal because they don't have side marker lights.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
It is possible to install the OEM HID setup, here's a link to GeorgeAb's DIY on GolfMK7 forums:

I haven't really read through this particular DIY but I did use his DIY guide to upgrade the wife's 2015 wagon to MIB2 so I know his instructions are good and he's great about answering questions when he can help. IF you had access to a parts car so you could get all the parts needed it would make it much easier as well as less spendy.

Thant’s neat to know it can be done. I read through it. It’s pretty involved but it’s an excellent write up.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
I would agree that build quality is excellent and that they are pricey.:) Whether they are worth it I would say depends on your driving conditions. If you regularly need the un-shuttered highs for low traffic country roads, you're probably going to find the LEDrivings inadequate and without a means of easily increasing beam reach because these are bi-LED without separate highs and the LEDs are not conventionally replaceable. For driving mainly with the shuttered lows, lighting performance is good with respect to beam pattern and cutoff and adequate with respect to visibility. The plug-and-play design and aesthetics are certainly high points, too.

I feel somewhat committed to running them now and I think the answer for me will be to convert them to HID bulbs & projectors, using a chrome projector shroud to add a little contrast to the all-black styling (mine are actually the "chrome" version which adds a thin chrome strip above the dynamic turn LEDs (but not quite enough visual contrast for me).

BTW, these are also DOT illegal because they don't have side marker lights.
Ahh ok, I thought DOT had to do with beam pattern. When I turned off NAR region in VCDS my LP xenons got flatter and wider and raise a little at around 59mph. They pattern wasn’t as high. Then I enabled City driving which pulls the lights in as you come to a stop to not blind oncoming traffic in the city. I also enabled rain and weather driving. It has something to do with cutting power or lowering the headlights a little when fog lights are on to not deflect light back at you off the rain. There’s a YouTube video on all the features on them but they do NOT come to life with NAR region checked. I added DeAutokey LED blinkers and corner lights in them and they are by far the best headlights I’ve ever had. I would strongly recommend them to the OP but that write-up is involved and I’m sure it’s a bit pricey. See headlight movement below.

I’d probably install the OSRAMs and pair them with deAuto key yellow fogs for in-climate weather.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahh ok, I thought DOT had to do with beam pattern.

I’d probably install the OSRAMs and pair them with deAuto key yellow fogs for in-climate weather.
No, you're right, they're DOT illegal because of both E-code beam and lack of side marker lights.

I'm going to try the deAutokey dual color fog LEDs (3K & 5.5K)

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
No, you're right, they're DOT illegal because of both E-code beam and lack of side marker lights.

I'm going to try the deAutokey dual color fog LEDs (3K & 5.5K)
The duals are really nice but every time you turn on your lights they are white. You have to toggle fog lights on/off to switch to yellow every single time. I have the yellow only and I like them. My buddy has the dual color and he likes them but mostly runs yellow so he regrets buying them. Also, the duals are not as bright as the singles but I’m sure it’s negligible.

Edit: Also worth mentioning if you VCDS coded fogs to flash with high beams it will change the color, and I think auto headlights can change the color due too voltage being triggered. Still great fog lights.

Last edited: