LED headlights for a MkV Jetta- opinions?

colemanreed

TDI
'10 Jetta TDI
Hi! First post on this forum, bought a used 2010 Jetta TDI last June and love it. Previous owner kept it in great condition and got service very 10k, so I haven't had to do much to it besides some basic maintenance and taking it to a local dealer to replace the intake manifold after it became faulty (luckily covered under emissions warranty!).

A couple months ago the passenger side fender got backed into and it was minor enough that I decided to order a new fender myself and get it fixed, which thanks to some guides on these forums was a breeze. However, while replacing it I noticed the passenger side headlight assembly must've gotten damaged when it got backed into- one of the tabs that is held in by a screw was sheared off. It hasn't been a huge deal but it sits a little uneven so I would like to replace it at some point.

I really like the Xenon lights off the MkV GLIs but I'm not looking to spend that much. I found these on eBay and I'm a little skeptical of them so I wanted to check and see if anyone here has come across them- if so, what's your opinion on them? Regardless, what's my best option here: find a new OEM headlight (would only need the passenger side), replace them with the cheap third party LEDs, or just pay the premium for the Xenons?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Ill probably get flamed for this BUT If they have Supernova V4 LED bulbs for your car get them .... they are GREAT ( get the real ones .... not a knock off one ... real ones run about $175 from Headlight Revolution ).

I have 4 cars with the bulbs in them because they work.... I know the argument about LED bulbs in a standard housing but regardless you will see better...much better.

Flame on ;-O

Andrew

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Ill probably get flamed for this BUT If they have Supernova V4 LED bulbs for your car get them .... they are GREAT ( get the real ones .... not a knock off one ... real ones run about $175 from Headlight Revolution ).

I have 4 cars with the bulbs in them because they work.... I know the argument about LED bulbs in a standard housing but regardless you will see better...much better.

Flame on ;-O

Andrew
No flame. Those look exactly like Evitek F2 LED bulbs. There are only a few LED manufacturers and the products are made to contract, rebranded, etc. If you are paying over $100, that is way, way, too much. Google F2 LED headlight. Several different sources. I purchased direct from Evitek, three pair shipped to my door from China, for $100 through Alibaba. The F2's are probably the closest match to a regular halogen bulbs with regard to emitter placement. This means the light is in the correct place to work with the reflector. If the design doesn't get that correctly, the output is very bright, not focused well, with lots of spill and glare. F2's are the choice of the motorcycle crowd for this reason. RT

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
No flame. Those look exactly like Evitek F2 LED bulbs. There are only a few LED manufacturers and the products are made to contract, rebranded, etc. If you are paying over $100, that is way, way, too much. Google F2 LED headlight. Several different sources. I purchased direct from Evitek, three pair shipped to my door from China, for $100 through Alibaba. The F2's are probably the closest match to a regular halogen bulbs with regard to emitter placement. This means the light is in the correct place to work with the reflector. If the design doesn't get that correctly, the output is very bright, not focused well, with lots of spill and glare. F2's are the choice of the motorcycle crowd for this reason. RT
Hi

Thanks for the heads up that they may be rebranded and available elsewhere for much less.

I'll look into that be because I was look to get a set of low beams for my girlfriends other car.

Thanks
Andrew