Lease Inspections for TDIs "Taken Away" from SGS?!?!?

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
****UPDATE 12/14/16****
An SGS rep (who performed a lease inspection on my wife's GAS 1.8T Passat 12/14/16) advised that SGS is not allowed to perform any lease inspections with customers - they are only to be performed at the dealer, after the lease termination has been processed, and the former lessee will not be able to be present.

****UPDATE 12/16/16****
Many others are reporting that they were able to schedule lease inspection appointments, and that the inspections were actually performed. I was never able to do so. It seems that my VW dealer immediately scheduled the lease inspection appointment to be completed at their location, on the first business day following the termination date.

The confusion continues, I guess.

On December 1st, I received the notification to schedule my lease termination appointment at 7:52 p.m. I logged in and selected 12/16, the earliest available. I immediately tried to call SGS to schedule an inspection, but they were closed.

The next morning, I called SGS, they located my records with ease using my VIN and lease account number. I asked about a lease inspection, and I was told it was already scheduled for 12/19. I explained that this is not feasible, as I will no longer have access to the vehicle starting 12/16. The rep said the only appointment in my area before 12/19 was on 12/14. But, when she went to book it, it was no longer available, magically.

I explained that this is not acceptable, and that we needed to please work something out, as I do not wish to surrender the car before an inspection. She explained that she was requesting an escalation to get an appointment as soon as possible, and I'd receive a call in 1-2 business days. I never heard a peep from SGS again about my TDI.

Meanwhile, we decided to turn in our leased 2014 1.8T non-diesel Passat. I called VW, who sent the information to SGS, because at first SGS had no idea who I was because the maturity date is 5 months out, which exceeds 90 days. SGS called us the very next day, and said we were able to schedule our appointment.

I logged into the SGS site on 12/8, and lo and behold, APPOINTMENTS WERE AVAILABLE EVERY DAY starting 12/15. I grabbed an appointment for our gas Passat on 12/15, logged out, and tried to log in using the VIN and account number from my TDI. NO RECORDS FOUND.
I called this morning, and SGS was unable to find ANYTHING about my TDI Passat. No record of lease termination scheduled, no record of inspection scheduled for 12/19, hell, she couldn't even look up my name using the vehicle and lease account info. She asked me 10 times if I'd registered with the TDI claims area, if it was a diesel, etc.

Then finally, she said that VW is handling all scheduling of lease inspection appointments, and that the functionality had been "taken away" from SGS for TDIs. Has anyone else heard anything to this effect? What is the deal here? I'd like to call the claims line, but what for? They don't seem to know anything at all. I've been told by them to call SGS twice.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
... not feasible, as I will no longer have access to the vehicle starting
12/16. The rep said the only appointment in my area before 12/19 was on
12/14. But, when she went to book it, it was no longer available, magically.
Why do you not have access to vehicle?

With the volume of cars there is no doubt this will be a slow process,
especially with the first wave of early returns. Folks are going to have to be
flexible and work around the issues. Good luck.

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Why do you not have access to vehicle?

With the volume of cars there is no doubt this will be a slow process,
especially with the first wave of early returns. Folks are going to have to be
flexible and work around the issues. Good luck.
My lease termination date is 12/16. That is the date that I surrender the car. They scheduled the lease inspection on 12/19 between the hours of 8-5, and made the contact someone I've never heard of, I assume a dealer employee or the TDI buyback rep. Either way, I don't have all day to wait at the dealer, I doubt I could convince them to call me, I won't have any entitlement to the vehicle, and I doubt they'd be willing to let me near it.

Kawazar

TDI
2014 Jetta
I guess I need to call SGS on Monday to confirm my appointment for the 16th. My turn in date is the 27th and I wonder if they cancelled mine. I scheduled my inspection prior to scheduling my turn in date because VW leasing said the inspection is good for 90 days so get it done now. I'll let you guys know.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
My lease termination date is 12/16. That is the date that I surrender the car. They scheduled the lease inspection on 12/19 between the hours of 8-5, and made the contact someone I've never heard of, I assume a dealer employee or the TDI buyback rep. Either way, I don't have all day to wait at the dealer, I doubt I could convince them to call me, I won't have any entitlement to the vehicle, and I doubt they'd be willing to let me near it.
How can VWGoA hold a lessee to an inspection that is held several days AFTER the vehicle is returned? The lessee has absolutely no control of who does what to the vehicle after handing over the keys!

I have my appointment scheduled with SGS on the morning of 16 December with my lease termination appointment the following morning.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
I guess I need to call SGS on Monday to confirm my appointment for the 16th. My turn in date is the 27th and I wonder if they cancelled mine. I scheduled my inspection prior to scheduling my turn in date because VW leasing said the inspection is good for 90 days so get it done now. I'll let you guys know.
Go to VW Credit website. Your lease termination appointment confirmation should show up there: https://www.vwcredit.com/MyAccount/ManageExistingVehicle.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
It still shows my inspection for Friday the 16th. It also shows the appointment on the SGS website too. So I guess I'll go with it and see if it actually happens.
I'm planning on the same. It just amazes me that something that could be so simple is being made so confusing and convoluted. It would just require some communication between the TDI Settlement Claim Group and VW Credit, who are both part of VWGoA.
Also, the VW Credit website still shows no evidence of a request for payoff quote, even though my lease termination is a week from tomorrow: https://www.vwcredit.com/Payment/PayoffQuoteHistory

Kawazar

TDI
2014 Jetta
I'm planning on the same. It just amazes me that something that could be so simple is being made so confusing and convoluted. It would just require some communication between the TDI Settlement Claim Group and VW Credit, who are both part of VWGoA.
Also, the VW Credit website still shows no evidence of a request for payoff quote, even though my lease termination is a week from tomorrow: https://www.vwcredit.com/Payment/PayoffQuoteHistory
Mine doesn't show a payoff quote either.

scottb8888

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
But at the turn in, VWGOA owns the vehicle, right? I'm letting it go, my turn in is 12/16 and inspection with the NEW owner is 12/19.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe that VW Credit will only show an appointment that you booked through them.

Kawazar

TDI
2014 Jetta
I believe that VW Credit will only show an appointment that you booked through them.
I booked mine directly through SGS using the phone number VW provided to me and my appointment shows up on my VW account. I never called VW to inform them of the appointment date or time.

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
I booked mine directly through SGS using the phone number VW provided to me and my appointment shows up on my VW account. I never called VW to inform them of the appointment date or time.
Do you mean it's showing up on your VW Credit account, or your TDI claims portal account? I only see my lease termination appointment when I log into the claims portal.

Kawazar

TDI
2014 Jetta
Do you mean it's showing up on your VW Credit account, or your TDI claims portal account? I only see my lease termination appointment when I log into the claims portal.
Its showing up in my VW Credit Account. It doesn't show up in the claims portal.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
Lease termination appointment shows in TDI claims portal, and end-of-lease inspection appointment (day before) with SGS shows in VW Credit portal.

Michel61

TDI
Retured 2014 Passat TDI SEL
So i log on to VW credit then click to schedule a appointment with SGS. I now go on to SGS site but it wont show where you put your vin or account number. So I close out reopen to SGS directly not from my VW credit and there the places to put my vin and account numbers. I put them in and hit submit and Bam Error Unfortunately, no match was found for the vehicle information entered. Please confirm the information and that no errors were made during entry and try again, or call the SGS National Customer Service Center (800.340.4080) for additional assistance in setting an inspection appointment.

Michel61

TDI
Retured 2014 Passat TDI SEL
So i called SGS today and ask to schedule a appointment for a inspection. They ask for my my vin number and told me i was already schedule for 12/16 same as my buyback date.:)

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Lease termination appointment shows in TDI claims portal, and end-of-lease inspection appointment (day before) with SGS shows in VW Credit portal.
Where in the VW Credit site do you see that? I don't see a lease inspection appointment in the VW Credit site for either my gas Passat or the TDI. And I know the appointment is scheduled for the gas Passat because they keep sending me reminders and confirmations. It's tomorrow. Thanks.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
CONFIRMED - Inspections are AFTER Termination

Thank you - I used that link last night. It prompted me for login. So, I had my wife log in (she has a 2014 gas Passat 1.8T), and I could see her lease inspection was scheduled for today 12/14.

However, when I logged in myself, it said no inspection was scheduled.

Today, I had the lease inspection for my wife's car, and I got to talk to an actual SGS rep, face to face. He was very cool, and gave me some insight as to what he's been doing with TDIs.

So here it is... Straight from the SGS horse's mouth, so to speak...

No inspections are to be done on TDIs before the termination appointment. No inspections are done with the buyers. All TDI inspections are done at the dealer, with the former lessee no longer present.

So, for those of you who have inspections scheduled for a TDI before your
buyback, I'd be very interested to find out what actually happens, and if they actually come out. Please let me know.

For me, I think the confusion is cleared up, and I'm not worried about insisting that it happen before I drop off the car. Also, he was very lax on the inspection about things I would have thought we'd be charged for on my wife's Passat, and the damage and wear was $0.00. So I'm hoping they'll be forgiving with TDIs, and the inspections are merely a formality. Of course, we won't know until the invoice/statement comes. Also, I still plan to bring my TDI in looking absolutely cherry, freshly washed, and I will be taking many many pictures and HD video.

At least now I can stop banging my head against the wall and being confused as to why they wouldn't let me schedule an appointment.

Kawazar

TDI
2014 Jetta
Thank you - I used that link last night. It prompted me for login. So, I had my wife log in (she has a 2014 gas Passat 1.8T), and I could see her lease inspection was scheduled for today 12/14.

Today, I had the lease inspection for my wife's car, and I got to talk to an actual SGS rep, face to face. He was very cool, and gave me some insight as to what he's been doing with TDIs.

No inspections are to be done on TDIs before the termination appointment. No inspections are done with the buyers. All TDI inspections are done at the dealer, with the former lessee no longer present.

buyback, I'd be very interested to find out what actually happens, and if they actually come out. Please let me know.

For me, I think the confusion is cleared up, and I'm not worried about insisting that it happen before I drop off the car. Also, he was very lax on the inspection about things I would have thought we'd be charged for on my wife's Passat, and the damage and wear was $0.00. So I'm hoping they'll be forgiving with TDIs, and the inspections are merely a formality. Of course, we won't know until the invoice/statement comes. Also, I still plan to bring my TDI in looking absolutely cherry, freshly washed, and I will be taking many many pictures and HD video.

At least now I can stop banging my head against the wall and being confused as to why they wouldn't let me schedule an appointment.
My inspection is scheduled for tomorrow morning and they called yesterday to confirm. I'll let you know if they show up. If they cancel or don't show I won't be rescheduling and will just turn it in on the 27th and see what happens.

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG

A dude came out and checked the car out. Turned it on, inspected for a good half hour. He said the TDI had to be done a differently in the computer due to what's going on with them.

Here's a copy of the report:
https://goo.gl/photos/zPWAS5Jdqm8FTzaH7

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Why are they inspecting leased cars at all? They aren't inspected owned cars. Doesn't it say in your lease contract that you can buy your car at the end? I would just buy the TDI if I were you guys.

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
A dude came out and checked the car out. Turned it on, inspected for a good half hour. He said the TDI had to be done a differently in the computer due to what's going on with them.
Here's a copy of the report:
https://goo.gl/photos/zPWAS5Jdqm8FTzaH7
Bizarre. Yours has the $350 disposition fee on it. The report for our gas Passat did not - total was $0.00. (And NO, we are not buying VWs, so from what I understand, the disposition fee should be charged.)

I guess we will continue to get inconsistent answers and inconsistent treatment. What a mess.

scottb8888

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Bizarre. Yours has the $350 disposition fee on it. The report for our gas Passat did not - total was $0.00. (And NO, we are not buying VWs, so from what I understand, the disposition fee should be charged.)
I guess we will continue to get inconsistent answers and inconsistent treatment. What a mess.

So you had no disposition fee and you are a lease? That's the way it should be!

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG
Why are they inspecting leased cars at all? They aren't inspected owned cars. Doesn't it say in your lease contract that you can buy your car at the end? I would just buy the TDI if I were you guys.
I'm turning mine in tomorrow. I'll see if they even bother with the inspection. My guess is they can resell the car later (with the fix or pop another engine, who knows)...

I would have kept the TDI if it were an automatic. My wife has been driving around with our 2500 and it's costing an arm in gas. She refuses to learn stick (case for divorce?) so we picked up a SportWagen SE automatic.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
So you had no disposition fee and you are a lease? That's the way it should be!
For early lease terminations:
  1. Disposition Fee DOES NOT apply per the lease contract (at least in mine); and
  2. Early Termination Fee DOES apply, but it should be paid by VWGoA under the terms of the settlement.
Both Disposition Fee and Early Termination Fee are the same $350 in my original paperwork. Unfortunately, it appears that VW Credit and/or SGS are confusing the issue by using Disposition Fee for both cases. It should be interesting when we start seeing the lease termination invoices from VW Credit, including excess mileage charges, damage assessments, any "fee", etc, for which they quote 4-6 weeks turnaround.