Learning about performance options

TNTTDIJETTA

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hello everyone. I was curious. How detrimental to the car is the DPF and the EGR? This is my first diesel. It seems to be a great strong running car so far and I’d like it to have some more power. I was looking at tunes. And obviously there is the Kerma and the Malone. I noticed it seems the Malone tunes you have to go with an off-road DP at least and the DSG tune. The Kerma you can get pretty good power and keep those items. So you only have to buy the tunes?

Does the exhaust make a huge difference if replace with the Rawtec eco package? (I’d like to keep the muffler I don’t like it too loud). Is the EGR and DPF really that bad for the engine? I know some truck Diesel engines those parts are so tough they actually kill the engines eventually if not upgraded or removed.

finally, if I go with the Kerma tune... can I upgrade the exhaust at a later time? I know from what I read and understand, if I upgrade the exhaust I have to add the tune for it to operate correctly. Also if I get the Malone stage 1 or 2 I have to get the DSG tune too. So I have to get the exhaust, computer and engine tune, and the DSG tune.

with the Kerma I just need the computer and tune I believe. Sorry for the long winded post I look forward to learning about this car and modding it. Never had a diesel before. Also have receipts for maintenance and car is in good running condition

Ertmer

TDI
2013 Jetta premium
Hello everyone. I was curious. How detrimental to the car is the DPF and the EGR? This is my first diesel. It seems to be a great strong running car so far and I’d like it to have some more power. I was looking at tunes. And obviously there is the Kerma and the Malone. I noticed it seems the Malone tunes you have to go with an off-road DP at least and the DSG tune. The Kerma you can get pretty good power and keep those items. So you only have to buy the tunes?

Does the exhaust make a huge difference if replace with the Rawtec eco package? (I’d like to keep the muffler I don’t like it too loud). Is the EGR and DPF really that bad for the engine? I know some truck Diesel engines those parts are so tough they actually kill the engines eventually if not upgraded or removed.

finally, if I go with the Kerma tune... can I upgrade the exhaust at a later time? I know from what I read and understand, if I upgrade the exhaust I have to add the tune for it to operate correctly. Also if I get the Malone stage 1 or 2 I have to get the DSG tune too. So I have to get the exhaust, computer and engine tune, and the DSG tune.

with the Kerma I just need the computer and tune I believe. Sorry for the long winded post I look forward to learning about this car and modding it. Never had a diesel before. Also have receipts for maintenance and car is in good running condition
I personally have a manual jetta. So I’m not to sure on the DSG portion, but what I can tell you is if you tune the car and live in a colder climate with out removing the DPF you will come across a lot more build up witch leads to some bigger problems.
I had my EGR get stuck open on multiple occasions which is why I removed it. When I did I put a stage 2 Malone tune in the car with just the EGR delete added to the tune. I drove it that way for around 20k. This naturally puts a lot more strain on to the DPF, I had it clog to the point were I couldn’t regen. That led me to the rawteck system. I currently have the system on my car with the resonator and I absolutely love it. It’s quiet when you are cruising at 60 or 80 but when you get on the skinny peddle it barks like it’s straight piped.
The only issue I’m currently having is to much low end tourque for the DMF to handle.
but in my opinion delete it all and get it over with the car runs happier and is a night and day difference.