Leaky lights?

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
Hi,
I am back for more advise. It was really raining these couple of days in NY and I found a leak in the car at a couple of odd places, the interior lights in the front cabin. We ddin't notice it leaking until my husband kept on feeling water dripping on him and when he flip the visor down, he saw a little resovoir of water in the passenger interior light. Then I flip my visor down and found the same thing though not as bad. I've checked the sun roof and nothing seem to be leaking there. Now, I need to find out where the leak might possibily be. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jess

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I still bet it is the sunroof. I'll lay it out in generic terms and if I am wrong about the Jetta (I have a Passat), I'm sure someone will correct me:rolleyes:

There should be four drainholes for the sunroof - one on each corner. The front ones are snaked down the A pillar to drains located between the hinges on the front doors. Squeeze them to make sure they are not blocked. If they are, gently clean them out. The rear drains open into the fenders and are more difficult to get to. Fortunately, they are not the ones that usually clog up.

After you check the lower front drains, open the sunroof and CAREFULLY feed a trickle of water (don't overflow into the cabin:rolleyes: into each front corner. Check the front drains again. If the water is draining too slowly or not at all, you still have a blockage.

The recommended way to clear out the blockage is to use a length of speedometer cable with the end bent and taped to make a small loop (to prevent it from tearing the drain hose). Then carefully snake it down the drain hole. A length of weedwhacker line (.06 or larger) can also be used.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
You are correct about the drain holes. Hubby just got me the Bentley manuel and we just got it yesterday and now I am already put it in use. :D I will try to check for blockage if it doesn't rain too bad today. (don't have a garage)

Jess

owr084 said:
I still bet it is the sunroof. I'll lay it out in generic terms and if I am wrong about the Jetta (I have a Passat), I'm sure someone will correct me:rolleyes:

There should be four drainholes for the sunroof - one on each corner. The front ones are snaked down the A pillar to drains located between the hinges on the front doors. Squeeze them to make sure they are not blocked. If they are, gently clean them out. The rear drains open into the fenders and are more difficult to get to. Fortunately, they are not the ones that usually clog up.

After you check the lower front drains, open the sunroof and CAREFULLY feed a trickle of water (don't overflow into the cabin:rolleyes: into each front corner. Check the front drains again. If the water is draining too slowly or not at all, you still have a blockage.

The recommended way to clear out the blockage is to use a length of speedometer cable with the end bent and taped to make a small loop (to prevent it from tearing the drain hose). Then carefully snake it down the drain hole. A length of weedwhacker line (.06 or larger) can also be used.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I've been having the exact same problem, so I'll have to check this out as well...

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
jessica_rabbit said:
You are correct about the drain holes. Hubby just got me the Bentley manuel and we just got it yesterday and now I am already put it in use. :D I will try to check for blockage if it doesn't rain too bad today. (don't have a garage)

Jess
A husband who is not afraid to give his wife a car manual as a gift? And a wife who actually appreciates the gift? I am sooooooooooooooo jealous;)

Which wedding anniversaries are Craftsman and Snap-On? ;)

Last edited:

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
owr084 said:
A husband who is not afraid to give his wife a car manual as a gift? And a wife who actually appreciates the gift? I am sooooooooooooooo jealous;)

LOL! I would love to get the Craftsman and Snap-On except I am afraid of someone borrowing it and I will never see it again. (He looses things constently.) :D But, we do have ALL kinds of tools lying around.... :p and I will request those tools once we get a house with a garage.

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
I know the feeling. My wife rebuilt the engine on her first car (Datsun B210). She taught me how to change oil and drive a stick. She organizes my toolbox because she gets frustrated finding things. She constantly comes to the rescue when I can't figure something out on the car (or how it goes back together). She understands and puts up with my fetish for perfect maintenance and pristine cars. But she also helps me balance things when I want to ghetto up a car. She always tests the cars for top speed (80 mph in her Passat tonight).

But she can't seem to get in to having soot all over her. And she is not as crazy about the TDI as I.

Any suggestions, Jessica Rabbit?

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI nut

The first step to become a TDI nut is to read the TDI club. :D

I've always liked cars and read about them whenever I could because my father is a car enthusiast. I've followed him around the house and garage fixing things ever since I was little. But I've never really work on cars myself. I did not even know the existence of TDIs until we were looking for a new car. Then, I started to read the TDI club, I have a tendency to research to death about something I am about to buy, then, voila, I became a TDI nut and going to see if I can do the basic services on the Jetta if I can borrow a friend's garage. :) Maybe you can buy a coverall for your wife when she works on the TDI, then, all she has to do is take off the clothes and jump into the shower and she'll be as fresh as pie. (hmm.. does that make sense? Ah well, it's late, can't seem to think any more.) :p

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
You did a stellar job getting the silicone off that valve cover gasket Jess. That attention to detail makes me think you should have no problems doing you own TDI maitnance. Did you get a new fuel filter yet? I have confidence you could do that yourself. You might have to suck start it though, lol.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
owr084 said:

Five year: Napa tools

10 year: Crafstman tools

20 year: Snap-on tools

30 year: Mac tools