Leaking *something* inside engine

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
I can not figure out what exactly is leaking but it is visible looking inside the engine compartment. I just happened to need a jump b/c of the cold and that is how I found out there was something going on.

It's coming from something that is in front of and just off to the right (if you're facing it) of the coolant reservoir (the round one). It looks to be marked by some kind of green cap or symbol but it was dark and and its really dirty inside so I couldn't tell. Looked like it was kind of oozing out slowly and kind of looked like there were air bubbles on the outside

Speculating this is power steering? If not, any one know?
And how bad is this? (Def want to fix it asap, but I still need to get around in the mean time)

Thanks -

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Black plastic tank with a unique green cap, has upward protrusion with a sort of gentle curved slot in the top- that is the power steering reservoir. The green part unscrews and has a small dipstick built into it.

Somewhere on these forums, there's an excellent picture with labels and names of all the major underhood parts, but I can't find it at the moment!

CotJocky

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI A/T
Mine was leaking out of the cap. It has a O-Ring. Replaced it and it fixed the leak.
Clean yours with some super clean and hose it off at the pressure wash. Or you can clean it up with brake cleaner.
Get it clean and then see where the leak is coming from.

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
Black plastic tank with a unique green cap, has upward protrusion with a sort of gentle curved slot in the top- that is the power steering reservoir. The green part unscrews and has a small dipstick built into it.

Somewhere on these forums, there's an excellent picture with labels and names of all the major underhood parts, but I can't find it at the moment!
Yup that is exactly what it looks like. And it looks like its coming right out of the top of the darn thing...:confused:

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
Probably the O-Ring. Last time I checked my PS fluid, probably 4 years ago. I had to replace the O-Ring too.
Would it be wise to maybe top off the fluid until I can get it in and looked at? It was making some grumpy noises at me today (kind of whiny). I have no idea what kind of fluid to even put in it if I do need to top it off (or refill...since I am unsure of how long this has been going on)

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Definitely top it up if your rack is whining and you plan to drive it or you can damage the rack$$$$$$.