Leaking injector

RobertF

TDI
1997 AHU
My number 3 (I guess it's #3, it's the one that stands taller than the others) injector is leaking. It's not terrible but I'd rather fix it. I want to eventually put nozzles on, but I'm afraid of breaking stuff in the process, which has happened every time I try to fix something on this car. Should I just fix the leak, leave it, or go ahead and do nozzles too? How involved is that? Having trouble finding anything on ahus specifically. Thanks for yalls help.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah....well the first thing I'd do is look at the line attachment itself and see if the pipe flare at the end has been damaged. Then I'd look at the injector mating surface to see if that has any damage.

It might be that you'll need a new #3 injector line (if injector is ok) or you might be able to carefully repair the flare...if there's a problem with it.

Post up a photo of line fitting at the injector and the mating surface of the injector if you can.

Steve

RobertF

TDI
1997 AHU
Yeah....well the first thing I'd do is look at the line attachment itself and see if the pipe flare at the end has been damaged. Then I'd look at the injector mating surface to see if that has any damage.

It might be that you'll need a new #3 injector line (if injector is ok) or you might be able to carefully repair the flare...if there's a problem with it.

Post up a photo of line fitting at the injector and the mating surface of the injector if you can.

Steve
If I do this will I need a new crush washer or anything? Or will I be able to just put it back together?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
It’s a flared connection like a brake line, so no washer is needed. Tighten it down until it seals. Do not overtighten or you could damage the flare (may already have happened).

Last edited:

RobertF

TDI
1997 AHU
It’s a flared connection like a brake line, so no washer is needed. Tighten it down until it seals. Do not overtighten or you could damage the flare (may already have happened).
Alright thank you man, I'll report back