LCA/Tie rod replacement questions

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Car is a 2001 Golf TDI. I've got an inner tie rod that's getting sloppy and my LCA bushings are looking torn so I'm going to do a suspension refresh. I've looked at numerous posts to get an idea of what's involved. I've done this on my A2 Golfs, this is my first time on the A4 chassis.

I have a couple of questions that weren't specifically answered in the posts I looked at.

1. When removing the LCA from the car, I prefer not to pull the struts or pull the axles out of the hub carriers. Both for the time that takes and the cost of the bolts & nuts that have to be replaced. On my A2, I just popped the ball joint out, removed the two LCA bolts and then wrestled the arm out. Can I do the same on my TDI? Or is pulling the struts recommended?

2. On getting the inner tie rod off. I'll have the LCA out, so from what I read I don't need to buy/rent the inner tie rod removal tool (the one that looks like a tube, slides over the tie rod). With the LCA out, I can access the tie rod and rack with regular wrenches. Is that correct? Or is the tie rod tool still the way to go?

3. The inner tie rod takes a 34mm or 1 5/16" wrench. Correct?

4. What size wrench do I need to hold the rack? I thought I saw one reference to a 21 or 22mm. I have a large crescent wench, but I don't always trust those when using a lot of force.

Todd

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
1 yes
2 yes
3 big adjustable
4 never had to hold the rack.

Your trans type is not listed but if you have an auto, you may need to lift the trans loose of it's mount to get the front CA bolt to slide all the way out

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Besides there's only a flat at one end of the rack on most so if you're at the wrong end it's a pita.:)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I know nobody does this, but how come the Bentley manual states that the steering rack MUST be removed from the car to remove the inner tie rods from the steering rack? Here is a cut & past from my Bentley CD:

Tools:
  • Holding fixture VW 313
  • CV joint boot clamp tool V.A.G 1275
  • Torque wrench V.A.G 1332
  • Open jaw insert, 34 mm V.A.G 1332/5
  • Transmission support T10108

Removing
  • The tie rods can only be removed/installed with steering gear removed.
  • Seal line connections on power steering gear if not already done.
  • Clean outside of power steering gear in the area of the boot.
  • Open clamp and slide boot back.
  • Tighten power steering gear on transmission support T10108 and remove tie rod from connecting rod.
  • Note:
  • Use only hole "5" and the allocated upper hole from transmission support to tighten power steering gear.
There is a picture of the steering rack bolted to a beefy special VW steel holding fixture and a special crow's foot on a torque wrench being used on the inner tie rod joint and another wrench is holding the steering rack.

--Nate

Last edited:

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I know nobody does this, but how come the Bentley manual states that the steering rack MUST be removed from the car to remove the inner tie rods from the steering rack?
Probably because factory procedures are devised by engineers that don't work on the cars for a living. So they spec out methods that tend to be overly elaborate. Whereas most mechanics prefer methods that are quick and easy so as to keep the work moving through the shop. There are many examples of this in the factory manuals.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Being and engineer I can knock them. Most engineers thing things look good on paper. But they couldn't do a think in the real world. Good engineers you don't even know they are an engineer.