Last of it's nine lives but could help to save others with a transplant SOLD

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
My 05 Passat which once it broke it's b/s chain bending valves etc. at 160K has since been deleted, I rebuilt the head, new valves, guides and cam. Torque converter re-built by Erikson, new OE a/c comp. etc. met it's fate at around 235K last night. My daughter had a fairly rough accident last night, all driver air bags went off, she still has ringing in her ear from the bag's deploying, sore knee, ankle and face but nothing serious. It ran perfect, trans was perfect. She had full coverage but I imagine she won't get much from insurance but I may be able to buy it back. If I knew anyone might be interested in the engine/trans combo and what I might expect to get for it I might pursue that once the adjuster gets a look at it sometime in the next few days. Located in South Central CT. Oh yeah, almost forgot, also tore into the turbo once polishing the vanes due to sticking/overboost about 2 years ago. 5K LOF's using good filters/oil and at 5K it may have been down 1/4 or so of a quart. Darn I did love that car. Bought it brand new and gifted it to my daughter from 160K till now. Hate to keep adding and editing but about the trans, I did the converter re-build at erriksons pre-failure when I had the engine out for the repairs. Trns got serviced by me every 50K.

Last edited:

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
I may have been open but you are a long way away from me. Shipping would be killer.

But negotiate on insurance if they total it... they set my 04 Jetta TDI value at like $1700 when ours was totaled. After sending last year of receipts and links to current listings I ended up with a value of $3800.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I may have been open but you are a long way away from me. Shipping would be killer.

But negotiate on insurance if they total it... they set my 04 Jetta TDI value at like $1700 when ours was totaled. After sending last year of receipts and links to current listings I ended up with a value of $3800.
Once we have her insurance look at it and get a final number I can negotiate with them. I did all the work myself on this car with the exception of replacing the valve guides but have all the receipts from when I went through the engine, had the converter rebuilt etc. I know it's gonna have to be someone local for a buyer since shipping will kill it. If I end up with the car I can sell it whole or part if out. I'm sure there's a market for the TCM, ECM and harness, BCM, turbo etc that can be shipped or somebody who has a blown engine and so so transmission who could benefit from it. Time will tell. If I had the extra time and didn't have a load of projects going on I'd be on the look-out for a 04-05 Passat the transplant all the good parts but my daughter wants a mid-size SUV so next on my to do list would be to find a say 2011-2015 Q5 with the typical engine issues and fix it up much like I did "Patty" the Passat as she called it. LOL, BTW, it's not and "if", it's when they total it. Just all the driver side air bags will probably put it over the edge, never mind she scraped the entire driver side, took out the rad. support, hood, right fender and there's left suspension damage as well as ripped the intercooler and piping out of the left front.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
That's a real bummer. I hope your daughter has a full recovery. The BHW has a solid reputation with the Jeep crowd as a viable engine swap candidate. If it were closer, I'd consider swapping the engine into an Allroad.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Once we have her insurance look at it and get a final number I can negotiate with them. ...
Sorry to see this happened. I hope your daughter is recovering nicely.
I don't know what the numbers look like almost a year later, but last year in July my wagon with 227K was T-boned. The insurance company told me it was a total loss and we negotiated $5,700 for them to take the vehicle. I decided I wanted keep it to repair it and got a reduced payment from the insurance. Interesting enough, I told the claims adjuster that it would be a shame to have a salvaged title on this car and I would rather have a clean title. They ended up not totaling the car and it's back on the road since.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
Bumping this to parts/car for sale, as of 6-24-21 I'm about to get it towed home. Long story short, my daughter without asking my advise, she's 25 and lives out of our house, switched her insurance from Allstate to E-surance. She had full coverage but in switching dropped her rental, collision etc. so she's out any payment but I"m thinking I'll tow it to my house and part it out or sell it whole. 05 sedan, 234K on the clock but did b/s delete, re-built the OE head due to belt breaking when the geared b/s gave up, had Torque converter re-built by erriksons, It also has a recent OE quality a/c comp, Raxle RF axle, all seats perfect except the drivers due to the air-bag deployment, all modules including TCM, ECM BCM harness all good. Did the major work at 160K. It also has new OE quality rotars, frt/rear, less than 1000 miles ago. Things that got taken out in accident, LF rim, LF suspension including strut, axle, intercooler, rad and cond. Light damage to left doors, heavy to hood, left and right fenders. Right doors back, rear bumper, decklid perfect. Hell, I'll throw in a brand new RF window reg. that I was gonna install prior to accident. I hooked up the batt. in the storage lot, fired it up, put in in drive and reverse, all good. Leaking coolant so only ran for about 1 minute. Any interest? Located in South Central Connecticut. As of it's DOA date two weeks ago It didn't even use 1/2 quart of oil in 5K,,when I did LOF's, has never been run more than 1/2qt low on oil, trans services, coolant service etc all done by me all with OE or OE quality fluids/filters since new.