Langhorne Saga Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Oct 11, 2000
Location
MA
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
fleuger99 said:
Agreed, that is how it SHOULD be but Langhorne made me pay them upfront the sales tax, registration and license plate transfer (from traded car to new TDI) and then gave me a check for the above to give to the RMV. I told them I was paying for the sales tax and fees out of pocket and didn't want them included in the auto loan but they insisted I pay them and then they'll give me a check made out to MA RMV.
Did you end up using VW Credit? When I did my transaction a few months ago they told me that VW Credit has a rule that says the dealer MUST capture all transaction fees and taxes for your home state, no ifs, ands or butts ;) I ended up paying cash for our car so they couldn't snag me on this additional level of complexity which started to make me nervous about having them pay MA on a timely basis for the exact reasons you are encountering: I didn't want to be stuck with a car sitting in the garage that could not be driven.

Upon my return to MA, I had a long conversation with my insurance agent (for the benefit of our uninformed listeners: ins agents handle these transactions in MA ) and she said what they told me is pretty much routine and she had not experienced problems with things happening.
 

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Langhorne is now planning on registering with MA Dept of Revenue and then redoing all the paper work with a date that is post registration so I'll be able to get my sales tax trade-in credit.

This should solve the dilemma although at this point I'm about half my original size after being squeezed between the dealer and MA :)
 

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
740GLE said:
BTW you never answered, were you dealing with Chris? or some greenhorn?
You shouldn't ask questions like this, you're making Tomo366 very defensive ;)

It was Chris that I dealt with. Honestly, I think all parties had a part in this. Everyone from Chris, Sales Manager, Langhorne Clerk and GM assured me that they'd done several deals with MA residents with a trade and this approach was fine.

Last Thursday after 3 hours at the RMV with all my paperwork and talking to Langhorne in one ear and the cranky RMV person in my other ear I was told by the Sales Manager to go on Monday to a contact they have at an insurance company to get the registration done. I was skeptical but left the RMV hopeful. After meeting with this person yesterday (another 1/2 day off of work) she contacted me 4 hours later saying there was nothing she could do and Langhorne needs to register with MA Dept of Revenue or this is never going to happen.

So, today they will register and resend all my paperwork redated for a date after Langhorn's registration. So, this seems like the first time they've done a deal involving a trade with an MA resident despite their previous claims. Everything I've stated in my posts about this incident has been MY experience and has been reported fairly and accurately and the truth only hurts those that are dishonest.
 
Last edited:

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
dieseldorf said:
Did you end up using VW Credit? When I did my transaction a few months ago they told me that VW Credit has a rule that says the dealer MUST capture all transaction fees and taxes for your home state, no ifs, ands or butts ;)
I was originally going to go with Chase as per Langhorne's suggestion as they had the best rate. Then weeks went by after I submitted my credit app without me being told who my loan was with. So, to cover myself I called my credit union and they approved me over the phone so I knew I was covered in a worst case scenario. Long story short, Langhorne claimed when I was there to pickup the car that they submitted to Chase but never heard back. I don't know if Langhorne or Chase dopped the ball but I went with my credit union and the difference in rate was only 1/4%
 

Boatman

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Location
Mill Spring, NC
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
fleuger99 said:
I was originally going to go with Chase as per Langhorne's suggestion as they had the best rate. Then weeks went by after I submitted my credit app without me being told who my loan was with. So, to cover myself I called my credit union and they approved me over the phone so I knew I was covered in a worst case scenario. Long story short, Langhorne claimed when I was there to pickup the car that they submitted to Chase but never heard back. I don't know if Langhorne or Chase dopped the ball but I went with my credit union and the difference in rate was only 1/4%
Funny thing happened to us.. we went with the Chase financing for the time being. We picked up our car and signed the paperwork on Dec 26th (same day as you),,, the payment coupons from Chase came in the mail Jan 2nd. :rolleyes:

They certainly didn't drop the ball getting the coupons to us.

They gave us a PA temp registration until THEY get our NY plates. This was supposed to take 10 days,,,, we'll see.
 

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Location
Philadelphia, PA
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Having previously worked for a captive automotive finance company, I can tell you that anything involving out-of-state titles and/or sales tax has the potential to get very complicated, very messy, and very time-consuming. That being said, I have also seen the other side of that coin where all the ducks are in a row and the transactions happen smoothly and with little, if any, involvement from the vehicle owner. Some states do require that a dealer collect the sales tax and do exactly what Langhorne VW did, issue a check directly from the dealer payable to the state's dept. of motor vehicles. Other states don't care who pays the tax. I'm not making excuses for your experience with VW of Langhorne, but I'm trying to convey that they may have thought they were handling the process appropriately.

Sometimes the problem is a mere memory if the solution is effective. Let's hope that the dealer turns this around for you. I've purchased two cars from Chris and referred seemingly countless other happy owners to him over the last few years so I have faith that he will help make this right for you. You should know, however, that Chris (or any salesperson really) has little involvement with the financial end of the deal so you may want to dig your heels into the finance office to get this taken care of rather than the salesman.
 

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Having previously worked for a captive automotive finance company, I can tell you that anything involving out-of-state titles and/or sales tax has the potential to get very complicated, very messy, and very time-consuming. That being said, I have also seen the other side of that coin where all the ducks are in a row and the transactions happen smoothly and with little, if any, involvement from the vehicle owner. Some states do require that a dealer collect the sales tax and do exactly what Langhorne VW did, issue a check directly from the dealer payable to the state's dept. of motor vehicles. Other states don't care who pays the tax. I'm not making excuses for your experience with VW of Langhorne, but I'm trying to convey that they may have thought they were handling the process appropriately.

Sometimes the problem is a mere memory if the solution is effective. Let's hope that the dealer turns this around for you. I've purchased two cars from Chris and referred seemingly countless other happy owners to him over the last few years so I have faith that he will help make this right for you. You should know, however, that Chris (or any salesperson really) has little involvement with the financial end of the deal so you may want to dig your heels into the finance office to get this taken care of rather than the salesman.
Agreed on all accounts. I'm not working with Chris on this anymore. I've been dealing with the Sales Manager and GM.
 

Scenic Driver

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Location
Orange County, NY
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Boatman said:
They gave us a PA temp registration until THEY get our NY plates. This was supposed to take 10 days,,,, we'll see.
I picked up my car on 12/5 from a dealer in NJ and they got my NY plates today. Weeks ago, they needed information from me but nobody ever called to let me know (one of many stupid things they did). NJ dealers can't give a second temporary registration/plate so I have been driving with an expired one since 12/25.
 

k1xv

Veteran Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Location
southern Vermont
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Late last July, I did a Cash for Clunkers deal with Langhorne. I think it was their first one, or one of their first. Fearing registration/sales tax complications, I specified that I only get a temp PA plate, and I would take care of paying VT sales tax. All went smoothly.

I never knew any states charged only "net" sales tax in trade in situations. Having lived in NJ, you never got a net calculation of sales tax. I think, in 2009, NJ even charged the sales tax on the $4500 cash for clunkers credit. Vermont did not charge sales tax on the C4C credit.
 

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
This morning I got my car registered (with the trade in sales tax credit) and finally I can enjoy my car with no more complications!

Lets move on ...................>
 

RedSoxFan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Location
Northwest CT
TDI
2004 Duramax, 2009 Jetta TDI
fleuger99 said:
Lets move on ...................>
Amen to that!!

I've never dealt with Chris but he appears to be responsible for many happy transactions with TDI owners across the country. Let's hope that your experience doesn't sully what appears to be an impeccable reputation for customer service (an unfortunate rarity in the auto retailing business today) and that everyone is a little better at what they do as a result of your experience. Not all trips up the learning curve are fun. :):)
 

meowguy

Veteran Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Location
Saco, ME
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Glad to hear you are now a law abiding, taxpayer. :p

I bought my JSW from a dealer in Maine with a trade-in. The trade-in was a Mass. registration and I transfered that reg. to the JSW. Absolutley no problem with the sales tax being calculated on the net difference. Had nothing to do with the selling dealer. They just give you a certificate saying you did not pay sales tax in the dealer state.
 

bruce846

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Location
North Central Pangaea
TDI
No TDI's
740GLE said:
bummer, when i bought out of state, every place I inquired clearly stated they wouldn't charge for the sales tax, and in fact I was able to get the perks of living in New Hampshire when buying from Maine.

Were you dealing with Chris? or a less known reputable salesman?
Question, when you purchased you car out of state did the dealer give you a transit temp or did he plate the car in NH?
 
Last edited:

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
RedSoxFan said:
Let's hope that your experience doesn't sully what appears to be an impeccable reputation for customer service (an unfortunate rarity in the auto retailing business today)
Let's just say everyone is entitled to their own opinion....that's what this forum is all about. ;)
 

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Location
Birmingham, AL
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
fleuger99 said:
I strongly suggest that anyone from MA not to buy a vehicle from Langhorne in PA. I picked up my car on Dec 26th and about ten days later my car is <snip> .
Okay- hopefully now cooler heads will prevail.

In defense of Chris (I think that's the second time I've ever said that).
You started this thread on the 4th. Your "10 days" was really only 4 working days. (check a calandar- omit weekends, New Year's eve and New Years Day as federal and state offices are closed on those days).

I think that since they got in touch with Mass, and set up a license with in ONLY 4 working days that they really pushed hard to get this issue resolved for you.

Maybe--- just maybe, since you can use the edit feature on your thread starter-- you might want to delete the posts in your thread that are so inflammatory to a salesman and dealership who, once they realized a problem, worked quickly to resolve it.

Just my 2 cents.
Jerry
 

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Location
NH
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
bruce846 said:
Question, when you purchased you car out of state did the dealer give you a transit temp or did he plate the car in NH?
Lame 14 day temp plate from ME, NH temp plates are what 30 days?

I had no issues once the MCO and title were shipped to my credit union (in NH) in order to register it with NH.
 

frugality

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Sep 19, 2003
Location
Spring Lake, Michigan
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
itsmejerry said:
Okay- hopefully now cooler heads will prevail.

In defense of Chris (I think that's the second time I've ever said that).
You started this thread on the 4th. Your "10 days" was really only 4 working days. (check a calandar- omit weekends, New Year's eve and New Years Day as federal and state offices are closed on those days).

I think that since they got in touch with Mass, and set up a license with in ONLY 4 working days that they really pushed hard to get this issue resolved for you.

Maybe--- just maybe, since you can use the edit feature on your thread starter-- you might want to delete the posts in your thread that are so inflammatory to a salesman and dealership who, once they realized a problem, worked quickly to resolve it.

Just my 2 cents.
Jerry
1) If fleuger was told that it would be no issue to get his cross-border trade taken care of, that it had been done in the past, and then fleuger DID have issues with it, it is his right to vent here, whether we agree with him or not. He is not slandering anyone.

2) Chris does a good business here because he sticks to strictly doing business. Be careful how you represent yourself on the forum, because it can easily hurt people's impression of you. (I say that as someone who initially was an enthusiastic supporter of you coming back on to sell cars here.)
 

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Location
NH
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
meowguy said:
Glad to hear you are now a law abiding, taxpayer. :p

I bought my JSW from a dealer in Maine with a trade-in. The trade-in was a Mass. registration and I transfered that reg. to the JSW. Absolutley no problem with the sales tax being calculated on the net difference. Had nothing to do with the selling dealer. They just give you a certificate saying you did not pay sales tax in the dealer state.
so you're living in Maine with a mass registration? ohh boy would they love to know about that!!!!

People get busted all the time in Kittery with NH plates. One of them was a 55 year old woman who moved to Kittery, parked her car with NH plates at her house, then flew overseas for a month or two only to come back to find she has a fine from the state of maine for falsifying registration tags.
 

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
Joined
Oct 16, 2003
Location
Gresham, Oregon
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Or buy a car in Oregon--we have no sales tax on any purchases :).
Glad it worked out!
 

frugality

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Sep 19, 2003
Location
Spring Lake, Michigan
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
740GLE said:
so you're living in Maine with a mass registration? ohh boy would they love to know about that!!!!
Some people, like those who do contract work, may have a 'tax home' that's not where they're currently living. Or have 2 residences. Maybe it's one-a-dose deals.
 

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
itsmejerry said:
Okay- hopefully now cooler heads will prevail.

In defense of Chris (I think that's the second time I've ever said that).
You started this thread on the 4th. Your "10 days" was really only 4 working days. (check a calandar- omit weekends, New Year's eve and New Years Day as federal and state offices are closed on those days).

I think that since they got in touch with Mass, and set up a license with in ONLY 4 working days that they really pushed hard to get this issue resolved for you.

Maybe--- just maybe, since you can use the edit feature on your thread starter-- you might want to delete the posts in your thread that are so inflammatory to a salesman and dealership who, once they realized a problem, worked quickly to resolve it.

Just my 2 cents.
Jerry
Hi jerry,

I do appreciate your sentiment and as was discussed earlier everyone is entitled to their opinions. Without wanting to rehash these series of events this coming Sat it will be 2 weeks since I've taken delivery and the issues started before that by a week or more. As frugality pointed out I was assured several of these deals had been done and as now is seen they could not have been, as the saying goes, until you've walked a mile in a man's shoes.......

Have a great 2010!!

Craig
 

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
BleachedBora said:
Or buy a car in Oregon--we have no sales tax on any purchases :).
Glad it worked out!
Sales tax free sounds perfect!

Thanks! :D
 

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Location
NH
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
frugality said:
Some people, like those who do contract work, may have a 'tax home' that's not where they're currently living. Or have 2 residences. Maybe it's one-a-dose deals.
Yeah they love to bust those guys too, if they can prove you spend more than x amount of days in Maine, they will claim it's not a vacation home or what not and force you into paying out the wazzoo. There was a huge scandle not to long ago, a bunch of Maine Maritime Grads were claiming residency in NH but living in Maine, they proved it and screwed them over big time.

Also as others have mentioned even if you buy a car in NH tax free you still have to pay sales tax when you register it in MA or ME. Us here in NH just think it's best to get tax revenue from booze scratchers and cigs
 

fleuger99

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Location
MA
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
tomo366 said:
LOL.....opinions are like Aholes........everyone has one ;)
This reminds me of when I was in the military and we used to say being in the middle ranks is like a monkey sitting in a tree. It looks down and sees smiling faces and when it looks up it just sees a bunch of @sses :D
 

Boatman

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Location
Mill Spring, NC
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
I'll add some more....

My wife called me this morning with a little tidbit about our purchase. She was looking over the paperwork as she was filing it and noticed that the money down was incorrect on the BOS. We gave them $3600 cash and wanted another $1000 put on our CC. The BOS only shows the $3600. Upon checking the CC, there is no charge. They took our card and swiped it and she signed the receipt but there is no charge. Somewhere along the way the transaction got cancelled. The CC company said that it's too late for them to "claim" the transaction so we are safe there.

Not really a big deal, but now there is $1000 extra on the loan that we didn't want.
 

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Location
Philadelphia, PA
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Boatman said:
I'll add some more....

My wife called me this morning with a little tidbit about our purchase. She was looking over the paperwork as she was filing it and noticed that the money down was incorrect on the BOS. We gave them $3600 cash and wanted another $1000 put on our CC. The BOS only shows the $3600. Upon checking the CC, there is no charge. They took our card and swiped it and she signed the receipt but there is no charge. Somewhere along the way the transaction got cancelled. The CC company said that it's too late for them to "claim" the transaction so we are safe there.

Not really a big deal, but now there is $1000 extra on the loan that we didn't want.
Take $1,000 and make a principal-only payment to your loan company. Problem solved, unless you wanted to put the $1,000 on your credit card for another reason.
 

Boatman

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Location
Mill Spring, NC
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Take $1,000 and make a principal-only payment to your loan company. Problem solved, unless you wanted to put the $1,000 on your credit card for another reason.
Like I said,,,not a big deal. We were looking to get points on the card. CC bill gets paid in full at the end of the month and we usually make double and sometimes triple car payments to get them paid off long before the term.

Just pointing out a slip up. We should have caught this before we walked out of the finance office.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top