kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

gaz4885

TDI
'03 B5.5 Passat 1.9 TDI SE Estate AWH
Thanks for taking the time to find a workaround! I just published a new release (0.57) which will ignore the TypeLoadException if it occurs. If you have time, please give that a try and see if it works for you. @gaz4885, please also give 0.57 a shot as you were having the same issue.
Got round to giving this another go today and had success with kw1281test_0.58-beta_Win10_Untrimmed. I managed to retrieve the SKC for two Passats ('03 & '05) and have got second keys programmed for immobiliser. Thanks for all your efforts in making this work!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Got round to giving this another go today and had success with kw1281test_0.58-beta_Win10_Untrimmed. I managed to retrieve the SKC for two Passats ('03 & '05) and have got second keys programmed for immobiliser. Thanks for all your efforts in making this work!
Glad it worked for you. You should also try updating to the newest release. It's got a GetSKC command that will just read the SKC from the cluster and decode it for you. No hex dump reading skills required.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
Is there a post anywhere in here that does a walkthrough with all the info for making a new key from scratch using this software.

So far each comment assumes I know something else. Which I don’t. I started taking notes to try and get it all together but it’s a mess.

I got a blank key, some blank transponders, and I’ll order the cheapest cable that works, which it looks like the vag kkl is it.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
If anyone in Europe is looking for high quality FTDI-based KKL cables that look to be compatible with kw1281test, I found this:

They're only 15 Euro per cable. I'd buy one myself but the shipping is 47 Euro to the US so it's not worth it for me (unless a bunch of you wanted to place an order for a few to save on shipping).

The FTDI cables are better because they will also work on Linux, macOS and even Android (though I haven't written the Android version of kw1281test yet). I haven't yet found a good source for FTDI KKL cables in the US. I found this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293629709943 but looks to be likely from China where the one above is supposedly made in Germany.

randallhb

TDI
2001 VW Jetta 2.0L AEG (yes gasoline)
I successfully enabled the welcome message on my FIS Cluster.

A note: the address and new value must be written as $0417 and $6B respectively. Do not omit the dollar sign.

Thank you gmenounos for your efforts

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I successfully enabled the welcome message on my FIS Cluster.

A note: the address and new value must be written as $0417 and $6B respectively. Do not omit the dollar sign.

Thank you gmenounos for your efforts
Wow, looks like you joined TDIClub just over 2 weeks before I did, old timer! Glad it worked for you.

P.S. You can omit the dollar signs, but then you must use 1047 and 107 for the address and value (but you probably already knew that).

randallhb

TDI
2001 VW Jetta 2.0L AEG (yes gasoline)
Lol, @ old timer, but it is true.

If you do not mind, please send me info about your cluster services to [my username] at hotmail.com.

Thanks

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
New release: https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases/tag/v0.63-beta

New commands:

Code:
        AdaptationRead CHANNEL [LOGIN]
            CHANNEL = Channel number (0-99)
            LOGIN = Optional login (0-65535)
        AdaptationSave CHANNEL VALUE [LOGIN]
            VALUE = Channel value (0-65535)
        AdaptationTest CHANNEL VALUE [LOGIN]
            VALUE = Channel value (0-65535)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Did you add adaptation?
Yes, just now. See previous message. I've only tested the adaptation commands on the bench so you might be the first to try them for real.

So, first you need to get your SKC. Assuming your KKL cable is on COM3, you would run the following from a command prompt in whatever folder you unzipped kw1281test:

.\KW1281Test COM3 10400 17 GetSKC

It will output a lot of info and hopefully at the end, it will output the SKC.

Then you can try the adaptation. Assuming you want to program 1 key, your SKC is 12345 and your cluster is Immo3 (if you don't know which version, post the part number of your cluster and we can tell you which version it is), you would then run the following command:

.\KW1281Test COM3 10400 17 AdaptationSave 21 1 12345

Then take out the key that's in the ignition and put it in again. Turn the ignition to on (but not start) and the Immo light in the cluster should come on and then turn off in a couple of seconds.

That should hopefully program the key to the cluster and allow it to start the car.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
Yes, just now. See previous message. I've only tested the adaptation commands on the bench so you might be the first to try them for real.

So, first you need to get your SKC. Assuming your KKL cable is on COM3, you would run the following from a command prompt in whatever folder you unzipped kw1281test:

.\KW1281Test COM3 10400 17 GetSKC

It will output a lot of info and hopefully at the end, it will output the SKC.

Then you can try the adaptation. Assuming you want to program 1 key, your SKC is 12345 and your cluster is Immo3 (if you don't know which version, post the part number of your cluster and we can tell you which version it is), you would then run the following command:

.\KW1281Test COM3 10400 17 AdaptationSave 21 1 12345

Then take out the key that's in the ignition and put it in again. Turn the ignition to on (but not start) and the Immo light in the cluster should come on and then turn off in a couple of seconds.

That should hopefully program the key to the cluster and allow it to start the car.
Where do I find the part number or my cluster? ( 2002mk4gti)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
The ReadIdent command will tell you:

.\KW1281Test COM3 10400 17 ReadIdent

Opening serial port com3
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Keyword Lsb $01
Keyword Msb $8A
Protocol is KW 1281 (8N1)
ECU: 3B7920946E KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V09
Software Coding 23236, Workshop Code: 00000
Sending ReadIdent block
Ident: WVWUK63B33P247312 VWZ7Z0B6069175
Sending EndCommunication block

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
You don't necessarily need VCDS to program the key or fob. I only linked to the VCDS instructions because they're easy to find. The same info is in the Bentley service manual. kw1281test supports Adaptation now, which I think is all you need once you have your SKC.

Instead of using the CD, you should try installing the generic CH340 drivers and they'll most likely work with your cable. Most of the cheap KKL cables use a CH340 chip. Here are some instructions:

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
You don't necessarily need VCDS to program the key or fob. I only linked to the VCDS instructions because they're easy to find. The same info is in the Bentley service manual. kw1281test supports Adaptation now, which I think is all you need once you have your SKC.

Instead of using the CD, you should try installing the generic CH340 drivers and they'll most likely work with your cable. Most of the cheap KKL cables use a CH340 chip. Here are some instructions:
I’m going to adapt with kw1281test

but all the instructions seem like they require pressing the buttons on the new fob to program it. So I don’t see how just adaptation takes care of the fob.
I don’t have the Bentley manual , I’ll see if I can find one, are you saying the Bentley manual has a method to do it without vcds? (Sorry if this covered in another thread, I really looked for anything)

good to know about the drivers, I saw that ppl were using them but I didn’t know I had to. I kinda got the impression the cable has the drivers in it

I promise I’m gonna do a write up on how to make a key and fob from scratch if I pull this off.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
but all the instructions seem like they require pressing the buttons on the new fob to program it. So I don’t see how just adaptation takes care of the fob.
I think you just do the adaptation, then press a button on each remote until it honks, one after another. I think you have 30 seconds after you do the adaptation.

HighvoltageBeetle

TDI
Beetle
Has anyone managed to get the cheap blue VAG KKl (CH340) cables to work with OSX? (Mojave)
*EDIT* Dug out an old windows laptop, it's grabbed my code for my cluster :D Thanks

Last edited:

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
so im just getting to try and use this, i live in south louisiana and have been without power till today since the hurricane.

anyway, i go to run the software (not plugged into the car) and the window pops up, does something real quick then the window closes, it appears the program does something then just closes itself,,,,,,,,,

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
so im just getting to try and use this, i live in south louisiana and have been without power till today since the hurricane.

anyway, i go to run the software (not plugged into the car) and the window pops up, does something real quick then the window closes, it appears the program does something then just closes itself,,,,,,,,,
oh i see it generates a text document,,,im trying slowly but surelyill figure this out

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
It's a console program so you need to open up a command prompt and run it from there instead of double-clicking on it in Windows Explorer.

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
It's a console program so you need to open up a command prompt and run it from there instead of double-clicking on it in Windows Explorer.

Thx. I kinda just forgot that part. I can open it in PowerShell now. But I'll do it this way so I don't have to type commands"PowerShell style"

nicko0

TDI
Mk4 gti
Just keep in mind that if your command prompt is PowerShell, you'll have to type

Code:
.\kw1281test.exe
instead of
Code:
kw1281test.exe
Also PowerShell will require you to escape dollar signs so you'll need to type

Code:
`$400
instead of
Code:
$400
I don't think the dollar sign thing will be an issue to most people - just know that you can type memory addresses in decimal or hex. If you use hex, you specify that with a dollar sign prefix:

Code:
.\kw1281test.exe COM3 10400 17 DumpEeprom `$CC 6
what is that symbol before the $? "?