kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

Peacetilence

TDI
'02 Golf
In case anyone reads this, I was tripping, see below, the bits you need are the two before the immo id, in the right order, not swapped, and two bits hex = one number in decimal, preceded by a zero= pin!
(Bytes, not bits 😉)
Interesting. That makes sense if the CPU is a MC68HC(9)12 -- it's big-endian (hi-byte stored 1st), no need to swap the bytes in that case.

hicklehoff

TDI
BKD/BSY Mitsubishi Outlander 16v 140
I need to spend some time and write up all this info. I'm starting to lose track of where all the magic values are inside the various dumps.
Could you just read the stream that you get back find the 2 bytes you need and just fire out the pin, a couple of lines of code rather than all that documentation ;-)

You've been a great help Greg, thank you, I posted your link to a TT Facebook forum but it seems they aren't as keen to hack their consoles! Did I read somewhere there is a way to reset the stepper motors, I need to Zero my fuel gauge!

hicklehoff

TDI
(Bytes, not bits 😉)
Interesting. That makes sense if the CPU is a MC68HC(9)12 -- it's big-endian (hi-byte stored 1st), no need to swap the bytes in that case.
Ah a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I like to stay a little dangerous...luckily there are people like you and Greg out there who actually know what they're doing, that's not for me ;-)

xandie

TDI
I dont i own a regular golf but i like the TDI
Hey I figured out the issue.. needed to reset my CCM also program worked beautifully for remote windows now just want to figure out truck unlock code. Thanks again great work

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Could you just read the stream that you get back find the 2 bytes you need and just fire out the pin, a couple of lines of code rather than all that documentation ;-)
Yes, I could do that. I was trying to keep the program good at reading/writing the EEPROMs and ROMs in the various control modules, as that's actually quite a lot of logic. I have a totally separate program that I haven't made public yet that knows how to interpret many of the values in the VDO clusters in order to get the SKC, change the cluster lighting, read/change the odometer, clone the immobilizer info from one cluster into another and various other tweaks. I didn't want to build any of that into kw1281test as it really needs a user interface and kw1281test is currently just a console program. But I guess 90% of the users just want to know the cluster's SKC, so I could probably add that pretty easily.

You've been a great help Greg, thank you, I posted your link to a TT Facebook forum but it seems they aren't as keen to hack their consoles! Did I read somewhere there is a way to reset the stepper motors, I need to Zero my fuel gauge!
I don't know for sure that this works on TT clusters, so do at your own risk:

On a MKIV VDO cluster, you can follow the steps in the "Run the Cluster Output Tests" section of this document to calibrate your needles:

You can use VCDS if you have it to perform the output tests. If not, kw1281test can also do it, just use the ActuatorTest command:

Code:
.\kw1281test.exe COM3 9600 17 ActuatorTest

gaz4885

TDI
'03 B5.5 Passat 1.9 TDI SE Estate AWH
Hello, I'm trying to retrieve SKC to program second key but when running .\kw1281test.exe com4 10400 17 DumpEeprom 0 2048 I get the following errors:
KW1281Test 0.56-beta (https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases)
Args: com4 10400 17 DumpEeprom 0 2048
Unhandled exception: System.TypeLoadException
at System.Diagnostics.Process.set_PriorityClassCore(ProcessPriorityClass value)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.set_PriorityClass(ProcessPriorityClass value)
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Run(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 53
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 26

Using blue generic KKL-USB cable on an '03 Passat with cluster 3B0 920 947 E KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V08

I've tried to read much of this thread but being a relative noob to all of this, there could be something fundamental that I've missed? Thanks

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Hello, I'm trying to retrieve SKC to program second key but when running .\kw1281test.exe com4 10400 17 DumpEeprom 0 2048 I get the following errors:
Args: com4 10400 17 DumpEeprom 0 2048
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Run(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 53
at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 26

Using blue generic KKL-USB cable on an '03 Passat with cluster 3B0 920 947 E KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V08

I've tried to read much of this thread but being a relative noob to all of this, there could be something fundamental that I've missed? Thanks
What OS are you running? Windows? Mac?

hicklehoff

TDI
Yes, I could do that. I was trying to keep the program good at reading/writing the EEPROMs and ROMs in the various control modules, as that's actually quite a lot of logic. I have a totally separate program that I haven't made public yet that knows how to interpret many of the values in the VDO clusters in order to get the SKC, change the cluster lighting, read/change the odometer, clone the immobilizer info from one cluster into another and various other tweaks. I didn't want to build any of that into kw1281test as it really needs a user interface and kw1281test is currently just a console program. But I guess 90% of the users just want to know the cluster's SKC, so I could probably add that pretty easily.

I don't know for sure that this works on TT clusters, so do at your own risk:

On a MKIV VDO cluster, you can follow the steps in the "Run the Cluster Output Tests" section of this document to calibrate your needles:

You can use VCDS if you have it to perform the output tests. If not, kw1281test can also do it, just use the ActuatorTest command:

Code:
.\kw1281test.exe COM3 9600 17 ActuatorTest
Thank you, reading through I think you have to physically move the needle if the reading is incorrect on one of the steppers so it sounds like there isn't a purely software solution to re-calibrate the fuel sensor. Having remembered to zero the number of keys in vcds before adding two back I now have two keys that start the car, thanks to you :) My final challenge is to get the remote to work as the company that sold me a replacement door actuator for the drivers side sent one that have a slot for the key post!

Given the cost of alternatives I'm sure if you published SKC software with a GUI at an affordable price you would have many takers (y)(y)

IJskonijn

TDI
Seat Leon 1M - ASV

That program also would be very usefull to me.
Still busy with combining parts from different clusters to create a good one for my car.
So if you want a beta tester, sign me up haha

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
@gmenounos, any chance you've made any headway in utilizing this tool to tune out / turn off the EGR* via communicating with the ECU?
*for off-road use only, of course

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
@gmenounos, any chance you've made any headway in utilizing this tool to tune out / turn off the EGR* via communicating with the ECU?
*for off-road use only, of course
Unfortunately you need a custom tune for that. I could (theoretically) enhance kw1281test to upload a custom tune to the ECU but you'd have to figure out how to create the tune yourself. Sounds like @burpod has a lot of knowledge in that area: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ry-basic-questions.513344/page-2#post-5671159

aka_deno

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT
Hello I ordered that KKL cable from Amazon and got the app working. When I run the command '.\kw1281test.exe COM4 10400 17 DumpEeprom 204 6' I receive the output and I found the line that says Received "Read EEPROM Response" block: 07 07 1E 14 40 00. So (07*256)+07= 1799. Now when I jump in VCDS and enter 01799 in the login code it seems to take it; I move over to the adaptation channel 21 it reads 3, i click Test and it shows "ERROR" i tried clearing it to 0 and hitting test it shows ERROR. I checked my measuring blocks 22 and 24 the keys work there is 0 time required for immo timeout. I ran your tool a 2nd time and same 07 07 blocks.

Any idea if this maybe is the wrong #'s that I am reading? Its a 2004 R32. Hoping to not have to rent the Vag-Tacho cable to reprogram a new key

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I think R32 clusters use different software in the cluster, so try this instead:

.\kw1281test.exe COM4 10400 17 DumpEeprom 266 6

And if you wouldn't mind, could you run the following commands and send me the output in a PM?

.\kw1281test.exe COM4 10400 17 ReadIdent

.\kw1281test.exe COM4 10400 17 ReadSoftwareVersion

I'm adding a GetSkc command, so the above info will help with that as I need to determine how to identify the software versions of the various clusters.

aka_deno

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT
I think R32 clusters use different software in the cluster, so try this instead:

.\kw1281test.exe COM4 10400 17 DumpEeprom 266 6

And if you wouldn't mind, could you run the following commands and send me the output in a PM?

.\kw1281test.exe COM4 10400 17 ReadIdent

.\kw1281test.exe COM4 10400 17 ReadSoftwareVersion

I'm adding a GetSkc command, so the above info will help with that as I need to determine how to identify the software versions of the various clusters.
You're exactly right, I saw another comment that said try looking at address 266 and voila that worked! Thanks. Storing this for all my friends if they need to program keys or setup their windows. I used an old serial cable years back for enabling the windows via remote... but this certainly seems easier.

and the key note that helped me realize I was looking at the wrong address is when you said you should have 3 repeating pairs of the #'s where it says Received "Read EEPROM Response" block.

At first it was all different numbers. Once I looked at 266 then I got the 3 matching pairs of numbers.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
I'm trying to use this software with my Ross-Tech HEX+CAN cable. The laptop is a Lenovo P51. On plugging the Ross-Tech cable in, device manager shows it to be only in one of the Universal Serial Bus controllers section. It comes up as Ross-Tech Direct USB Interface. In the Device Manager under Ports(COM & LPT) there is only the Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL (COM4) entry.
I can run the software but when I do, I get this output no matter which COM port I put in the command line. I tried with COM2, 3, 4,9.

PS C:\Users\jtabasz\desktop\vcds\kw1281test_Win10> .\kw1281test.exe usb 10400 17 DumpEeprom 0 2048
Args: usb 10400 17 DumpEeprom 0 2048

I tried to "Update Driver" on the USB controller with the Ross-Tech label but my W10 comes back with "Already using the best driver for this application" type message. Anyone else see this issue and work through it?

Thanks,

JT

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
My understanding is that the Ross-Tech HEX+CAN is too "smart" (too much "computering" going on within the cable itself) for this app; the cable needs to be a more simple iteration like the old/original Ross-Tech serial cables.
(edit:....or force-install the VCP drivers as explained by the good folk below)

Last edited:

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
I'm trying to use this software with my Ross-Tech HEX+CAN cable. The laptop is a Lenovo P51. On plugging the Ross-Tech cable in, device manager shows it to be only in one of the Universal Serial Bus controllers section. It comes up as Ross-Tech Direct USB Interface. In the Device Manager under Ports(COM & LPT) there is only the Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL (COM4) entry.
I can run the software but when I do, I get this output no matter which COM port I put in the command line. I tried with COM2, 3, 4,9.

PS C:\Users\jtabasz\desktop\vcds\kw1281test_Win10> .\kw1281test.exe usb 10400 17 DumpEeprom 0 2048

I tried to "Update Driver" on the USB controller with the Ross-Tech label but my W10 comes back with "Already using the best driver for this application" type message. Anyone else see this issue and work through it?

Thanks,

JT
You need to download the Ross-Tech VCP drivers, install them (sometimes you have to do it manually), then go into the VCDS interface settings and uncheck 'Boot in intelligent mode', then test+save. Unplug the cable and plug it back in, then check in device manager to see which COM port it's been assigned to.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Thanks,

JT
You'll need the vcp drivers for that cable. I use my hex-can cable with the Ross tech vcp drivers and it works well. The drivers that are installed with the cable aren't com port drivers.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
You'll need the vcp drivers for that cable. I use my hex-can cable with the Ross tech vcp drivers and it works well. The drivers that are installed with the cable aren't com port drivers.
So is there a way to force W10 to accept these drivers? As I wrote, when I try to install the vcds com drivers, I can navigate to the directory the .gzip was extracted to and choose them, but W10 comes back with the “Already using the best driver for this device” message.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
So is there a way to force W10 to accept these drivers? As I wrote, when I try to install the vcds com drivers, I can navigate to the directory the .gzip was extracted to and choose them, but W10 comes back with the “Already using the best driver for this device” message.
You need to go to device manager and go through the manual procedure to install the VCP drivers, maybe even uninstalling the current drivers first

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
As the other guy mentioned, you'll have to uninstall the current drivers then manually install the vcp drivers. The vcp drivers will still work for vcds as well.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
As the other guy mentioned, you'll have to uninstall the current drivers then manually install the vcp drivers. The vcp drivers will still work for vcds as well.
Just tried that. Now the Ross-Tech cable shows as "with VCP", so, got past that hurdle. From the error messages I get (same ones as before) it looks like the .exe is trying to run but either doesn't like my args or has a coding issue. The rev is 0.56.00.
More likely it's a com port issue, since running the .exe without args does return the help screen

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
Just tried that. Now the Ross-Tech cable shows as "with VCP", so, got past that hurdle. From the error messages I get (same ones as before) it looks like the .exe is trying to run but either doesn't like my args or has a coding issue. The rev is 0.56.00.
More likely it's a com port issue, since running the .exe without args does return the help screen
Did you go into the VCDS interface settings and uncheck 'boot in intelligent mode', then test+save like I mentioned a few posts ago?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
The TypeLoadException that you're getting looks like the same thing reported here:

Unfortunately, I was never able to find out the cause. Maybe try installing the .NET runtime and see if it works after that:

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
The TypeLoadException that you're getting looks like the same thing reported here:

Unfortunately, I was never able to find out the cause. Maybe try installing the .NET runtime and see if it works after that:

I was able to get the device manager to recognize the Ross-Tech cable at COM3. It now shows up in the COM+LPT section of the device driver list. I still get the same errors as above. I did try installing the .NET runtime env as you suggested, even rebooted the laptop again after installing. No change. Next I guess I'll try downloading a previous version of your program and trying again. Since other users have been able to get this working the issue is either with my laptop, which is my work laptop, or the software version. (?)
After that, I'll have to look for a different laptop to try I suppose. (.........)

I do want to give a shout out to you for making this gigantic effort to help out the MKIV community. Pretty awesome stuff!

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
OK, update time. The failures I reported above were using a Lenovo P51s with kw1281test.exe version 0.56.0.0 and the VCP drivers from Ross-Tech. The error were consistent using COM3, which I finally got to show up in the device manager. I tried COM1-9 as well as usb with the same results.
I busted out an old Lenovo W530 that was in the closet and loaded W10, VCDS, and the kwtest software rev 56.0.0 again and got the same results. (Drivers as well).
Loaded kw1281test.exe ver 50.0 and ran again and this time it worked! Was able to retrieve the SKC for both 03 Jettas I have.

Bottom line, if anyone encounters the errors I got above using 0.56.0.0, try one of the older versions.

Thanks Again to gmenounos for the tool. Saved me $65.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
OK, update time. The failures I reported above were using a Lenovo P51s with kw1281test.exe version 0.56.0.0 and the VCP drivers from Ross-Tech. The error were consistent using COM3, which I finally got to show up in the device manager. I tried COM1-9 as well as usb with the same results.
I busted out an old Lenovo W530 that was in the closet and loaded W10, VCDS, and the kwtest software rev 56.0.0 again and got the same results. (Drivers as well).
Loaded kw1281test.exe ver 50.0 and ran again and this time it worked! Was able to retrieve the SKC for both 03 Jettas I have.

Bottom line, if anyone encounters the errors I got above using 0.56.0.0, try one of the older versions.

Thanks Again to gmenounos for the tool. Saved me $65.
Thanks for taking the time to find a workaround! I just published a new release (0.57) which will ignore the TypeLoadException if it occurs. If you have time, please give that a try and see if it works for you. @gaz4885, please also give 0.57 a shot as you were having the same issue.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I just published version 0.57: https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases/tag/v0.57-beta
It's got one new command: GetSKC
It will attempt to download just the portion of the cluster EEPROM that contains the SKC and will decode it for you. It should work for many VDO Immo2/Immo3 clusters as well as Bosch RB8 clusters. I will add Marelli clusters (Beetle/TT) later, but in the meantime I'd appreciate it if anyone who has time could give it a try and let me know which clusters it works successfully on and which ones it doesn't. I'm using the VW part number of the cluster to determine if it's Immo2 or Immo3, but I'm sure there are some clusters that it's going to misidentify as I only have Golf/Jetta/Passat clusters to test with. It also doesn't currently work with VDO clusters running VWK503 software.

Code:
.\kw1281test.exe COM4 10400 17 GetSKC
Thanks to @hicklehoff for the suggestion.