KW or Bilstein Coilovers

alpine4

TDI
2012 Audi A3
Thinking of getting KW comfort ride coilovers for the A3, or Bilstein B14 PSs. I hear KW is smoother than Bilstein. Anyone running KW or Bilstein, and how do you like them?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I have Bilstein PSS-9s on my 2005 S4. I really really like them.

One thing to keep in mind is the possibility of KWs being backordered... I'm waiting on a set of ST XTA coils (KW's budget brand) for my TDI A3 and they've been backordered for about 1.5 months.

alpine4

TDI
2012 Audi A3
I have Bilstein PSS-9s on my 2005 S4. I really really like them.

One thing to keep in mind is the possibility of KWs being backordered... I'm waiting on a set of ST XTA coils (KW's budget brand) for my TDI A3 and they've been backordered for about 1.5 months.
I hear KW Street comfort coilovers are going to be harsher than strut and spring setup. I will be driving over bad broken snow roads in Winter months. Would KW be a bad idea? Should I go with nice strut and spring setup? I hear Koni is a good way to go, although having a hard time finding a kit, since I should replace everything not just struts and springs.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
My personal experience with Bilstein PSS9-s is that when they're dialed to the softest setting, they're very comfortable.

That being said, almost any coilover or lowering spring setup you go with is going to be harsher than the stock setup. I chose the ST XTA coilovers because they have all the tech of the fancier KW coils, WITH adjustable camber plates up top, for a significantly lower price. The tradeoff is that they're galvanized rather than the fancier stainless that KW uses. (I think it's stainless that they use).