Knoxville TDI owners

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I see a lot of TDIs around Knoxville and points west (I live in Farragut area) but I don't know who you are. My name is Brian and I moved from Pittsburgh (go Steelers) in spring of 2010. I am an audio engineer and love to wrench on my Golf. Let me know who you are and what you drive.

ArminTDI

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Hi,
I live near downtown Knoxville and drive a blue/green 2002 Jetta TDI.
Armin

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
It's nice to know that there are some other Knoxville TDI owners, here, on TDIClub.

Kevin, I saw that you nozzled your car with Sprint520s. How do you like the power gain? any tune or plans on further upgrades?

Armin, Have you modded your Jetta at all?

What kind of miles do you have on your odo's? How long have y'all been TDIers?

FLYTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS 5M, ca. 268K miles
VVOJO, I got quite a bump in power from the Sprints, how much so I cannot really say as I got my intake cleaned at the same time and it was 2/3 plugged (thanks to DG-TDI). Planning on matching the Sprints with RC2 at Dan144's upcoming SC GTG and seeing how long my stock clutch lasts. I've got a little over 160K miles on the odo (36K since acquiring it in April '11!). Two cross-country roadtrips over 10K miles ea plus a few other jaunts back in summer. Also just purchased a 0.658 5th. Looking to end up with a 50ish+? mpg interstate cruising machine.

FLYTDI

TDI
and no ...... DG-TDI replaced the nozzles and cleaned the intake, he didn't clog the intake up!!!! :)

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
That is some serious miles that you put on it in less than a year!! And thanks for clearing up the business about the clogged intake :p

Like you, my first power mod was Sprint520 nozzles and was enough of a bite from the power bug to send me down a path of constant projects :D Did DG-TDI balanced them when they were installed?

Talk to Jeff (RocketcChip) at Dan's GTG, but he tuned me up to RC3 with those nozzles. I did have a LUK clutch, though, that's more capable of handling torque than the later mk4 clutches. I've been contemplating a taller 5th gear for some time, now. I'm almost tempted to go with a 6 spd swap, though.

It will be good to see some more representation from ktown down in Chapin. Will this be your first gtg?

FLYTDI

TDI
Daniel did balance them insofar as testing pressures and matching up best pairings of injectors and nozzles. No shimming. They ended up pretty darned close. Yes, will see what Jeff recommends. I don't think he typically goes past stage 2 with my clutch type, though, either that or owners are reluctant to. I'm not looking for crazy power, but rather maximum efficiency with regard to mileage. If I wanted sheer power I would have bought some other car. I'm hoping the 0.658 5th delivers a few extra mpg in addition to what I get from the tune. Right now I am surely overfueling with the Sprints and oem timing as my fuel economy should be bit better. See you at Dan's.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Your fuel economy numbers don't really reflect overfueling, provided they are current. Do you smoke at WOT?
Unfortunately, my plans were changed for me and I will not be able to make it out to Dan's. I hope you have a good time there and tell everyone I said hi.

FLYTDI

TDI
VVOJO, I saw your post about having to work and missing Dan's GTG. Bummer. We'll have to meet at some other time and venue. I smoke a bit, not much. Perhaps I am not overfueling per se but I am likely not doing as much with the fuel as I could be. I'd like to be able to match the incredible fuel economy numbers that Wksg does with his 03 wagon with T4s and RC2. That's what I'm shooting for with the chip and 0.658 5th.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I was hoping to see some more folks show up in this thread. I know there are more than just three people in Knoxville area with TDIs.

Kevin, how did you like the gtg? Did you get your car tuned??

I'm in the middle of swapping my clutch out and upgrading my springs, again. Also, while I'm into it, I will be replacing that pesky power steering line that sprung a leak. You should see my garage; car parts everywhere!

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
I'm in the Knoxville area from time to time. That's where my brother and his family live. So if you see a silver beetle with a Georgia plate that says VDUBGRL ... that's me ;) I have a TDIclub frame too. So honk, wave, whatever...I may still be oblivious but ya know...lol

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Hey Michelle! I didn't know you you came through this way. Not sure if you remember, but we met at Dan's summer gtg in 2010. Get ahold of me the next time you're in town.

FLYTDI

TDI
Yes, VVOJO, got the 0.658 5th done by Daniel Grindstaff on Th and then RC2 Sat at Dan's GTG. Lovin' both mods. The RC2 really makes the taller 5th gear work. 47.5 mpg racing home on I-26 and 40 with brand new tires and oil, with crap winter fuel. Can't wait to see what I'll get driving more reasonably in summer with better fuel and more worn tires. Absolutely no clutch slippage with a decent amount of effort to make it do so. I think I'll be all right with my stock clutch for several thousand more miles, but we'll see.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Good to hear, Kevin! Looks like I may have to get a taller 5th, too. There is just so much to do and so little time and money... 47.5 is awesome for not even trying!

ArminTDI

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Hey guys,
Its been a while since i read this thread but in that time my 02 Jetta TDI has got a 180k on the clock and a new set of springs installed last Wednesday and i could not be happier with them. Almost no body roll and are smoother then stock. Anyone thats got a mk4 should check Neuspeed SofSport Springs (55.10.74) out.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Armin,
Congrats on hitting 180k! You'll be catching up to me, soon. Having new springs is such a great feeling. I just swapped mine out for the "beef springs on a budget" setup and really like the new stance and feel that the vr6 wagon springs give to my golf. Those neuspeeds look nice, though.

Alex1118

Vendor
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I'm in the Farragut area and just bought a 2012 Jetta TDI. My dad is a residential contractor so I grew up in Ford Powerstroke diesels so I'm excited about the TDI.

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
I live downtown and I'm new to the VW and TDI world. 2012 Passat TDI SE w/ DSG transmission and sunroof. I've enjoyed the first 2,000 miles so far :)

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I'm glad to see some new people speaking up, here in Knoxville. I've been working with a couple of ALH guys, getting their cars fixed up. I think it would be cool to organize some sort of get together so that Knox tdi owners can meet each other and see who else is blowing prius repellent around town. I know I would not mind checking out some of the newer engines, either...

Please excuse my Swype

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
Previous car was a Prius funny enough. So far getting basically the same MPG in a car which is larger, more comfortable, and much more fun to drive!

Stats for both on Fuelly.

I'd be happy to let others look under the hood sometime. By the way, any VCDS/VAG-COM owners in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battlecattle

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2-Door
Just introducing myself, I am near westtown mall and new to the VW world. Picked my 2012 Golf about a month ago and couldn't be happier!

-Josh

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'll probably want to borrow you and your cable's services at some point ;)
No problem, just let me know. You will be on your own of sort if you want to reprogram certain things. I do not want to responsibility for messing your car up ;)

Shoot me a pm or email.

cmnspwr

TDI
'96 Passat
I'm from Jackson, but I'm looking for a MK4 Golf or Jetta with a 5 spd. Anyone know of one for sale?