Knocking sound around flywheel?!? NEED QUICK ADVISE

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
When it rains, it pours.
So I recently had a timing belt strip going down the interstate on a forced 2,000 mile trip--with an appointment to have a timing belt job done nonetheless. Was stuck in the middle of the night in Kanas City and had to make a fast decision to take it to take it to a dealership that was open on a Saturday--unfortunately. Needless to say, they didn't impress me. Had problems with the injector lines leaking, the vacuum pump leaking oil, the serpentine belt tensioner rattling (now replaced) and a mind numbing case of them not changing the oil with valve/cam shaft/head damage.
Some of those things are now resolved. About to change the vacuum pump seal. And for the first time today, it starts making this noise. This is my second MKIV Jetta TDI and this is a new one for me. Car has 238,XXX miles. Manual. It's been stupid hot where I'm at right now--Tennessee. Any ideas?!?!?!? I have to drive to Montana tomorrow, 6 July 2011 (2,000+ miles) and then back several days later. I'd like not to, but I have to.
Hope this helps: http://youtu.be/iQTV2Bt6PoI

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
That sounds like a dual mass flywheel with a broken spring.

Some people drive thousands of miles with it sounding like that, with no problem.

Others have them grenade and take out the transmission.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
The problem: The dual-mass flywheel has failed.
The solution: Install a G60 flywheel VR6 clutch kit.

SACHS CLUTCH PACKAGE. TDI 228MM. INCLUDES: STOCK VR6 SACHS CLUTCH DISC, OEM PRESSURE PLATE & RELEASE BEARING, OEM SOLID FLYWHEEL.
Single Mass Flywheel
Clutch disc
Pressure Plate
Throwout bearing
N101 010 01 Pressure plate bolts
N905 398 01 Flywheel bolts

GOOD FOR 300+ HORSEPOWER 295 FT LBS OF TORQUE WHILE MAINTAINING STOCK-LIKE DRIVEABILITY.

$375.00 to your door.

Last edited:

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Excellent. You know the warm and cozy feeling--that's me about to "spontaneously combust" (minus the spontaneous part).
That's exactly what I was afraid it is.
I had to move the car into the shop for enough light to change the vacuum pump oblong-ring (o-ring) and it didn't do it at all. It's cooled off quite a bit and so has the car. I put a decent load on her and nothing. Didn't run long enough to get hot. Just wondering if this changes anything.
Thanks guys!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
A friend of mine recently had a similar noise from a 06 golf gt tdi and I thought it was the flywheel but strangely after a couple of revs the noise disappeared:confused: maybe you're lucky, maybe not, the only thing is if you drive it there is a risk you'll get stranded again. I guess it stops life getting boring.:)

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Let's hope. I generally can roll with stuff going majorly wrong, but with my mother's life expectancy in question lately, it doesn't make for smooth sailing any way you slice it.

So what kind of time does a job like this run; on the do-it-yourself side and the professional side?

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So, after a couple thousand miles, it doesn't seem to be exhibiting any of the same symptoms. It hasn't made any noises since my last post. I guess I did get lucky--for now.
Now if only I can get the rest of the crap going on under control....

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
An update for anyone that comes across this tread: I ended up changing out the clutch and fly with a single mass Sachs G60/VR6. It needed to be done. Looking at it, I probably could have got another 5,000-10,000 miles out of her. The new one is doing well so far. Lighter and shorter push on the pedal. At idle it's a bit louder, but it doesn't bother me. Nice bite too. I'm pleased.