Knocking Noise

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
I just bought a project 2006 Jetta that supposedly had a bad turbo. I Ran a scan and it did have the P0299 code. The owner said that when the turbo gave out it was dumping loads pf smoke out and lacked power. When I got it there was still some oil on bottom of dip stick, but need about 2 quarts to bring it to full. I trailered it home without starting it, but when I did start it this morning it made a fairly loud knocking sound, and there was no smoke coming out of the exhaust. I never heard of a bad turbo fixing itself (the P0299 code doesn't come back), but I cant isolate the noise. It's not noticeable when standing if front of the engine, but gets louder when I'm in the drivers seat. I checked the timing, and that's at -1.5, and the manual oil pressure gauge shows 50 psi at idle. The noise doesn't change when I push the clutch in or put it in gear while lifted on the hoist. The cam was changed about 6,000 miles ago, but I don't have paperwork to show the brand. Is there a way to post videos here so anyone can hear the sound it makes?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Just talked to the former owner. He said it's been making that noise ever since the camshaft replacement 6000 miles ago. His mechanic told him that happens with all the camshaft replacements he does. I think something isn't adjuster correctly. What should I look for?

OhCdn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf MK4
Just talked to the former owner. He said it's been making that noise ever since the camshaft replacement 6000 miles ago. His mechanic told him that happens with all the camshaft replacements he does. I think something isn't adjuster correctly. What should I look for?
Please tell me what you find out never heard a mechanic say that is it constant, what about when cars warm?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I redid the adjustment for the injectors. It looked like the last guy turned back the adjuster one full turn after contact. I turned it back 1/2 turn. I haven't started the car again to let the car get warm yet. I will later this afternoon.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
That didn't help. Same noise even when warmed up. I even adjusted the torsion value to zero. I also wonder if the turbo problem could be caused by clogged oil feed line. The turbo doesn't spit out oil when idling, but when the turbo gets hot then oil shoots through the exhaust. If that's the case would just replacing the feed line cure the problem?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Found it. Unfortunatly it is Rod Knock.. Spun Bearings. I will get a replacement engine rather than rebuild this one. I can Use the timing belt and Cam in that replacement.