King springs?

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Has anyone ever heard of King springs?? There big in the rally market and are from austraila. They do not have very many U.S. distributors but I found one in Oregon.
They are http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/

They sell subaru rally gear, I did talk to the owner and he is looking a MK4 Raised spring for me. No Idea on spring height or spring rate yet but will let you know when I find out.

Ok thanks

Last edited:

TDS

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
TJ, Interested to hear what you find out, both the technical aspects of the springs as well as cost. I'm was, and may still be -- depending on what King rolls out-- planning on the VR6 fronts and wagon rears. I installed a rallye inspired spring, shock, spacer on my Dodge 2500 (Diesel of course0 am am very pleased w/ its' performance.
Tom

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Yea I will let you know as soon as I know. I was looking foward to a email this morning about them.. but no such luck. I am in the same boat as you looking at the jetta wagon fr and rr. But a rally spring would be great, I hope it works out. As far as cost I think they will be steep the subi springs are 490:eek:. So I would guess these would be the same.

Thanks

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
An affordable set of lift springs would probably be quite desirable for lots of folks here. But for $490 you can buy new VR6 fronts and wagon/towing rears for essentially the same outcome - 1" taller and a good bit stiffer.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Ok, I got a email from the guys about the King springs. I could not get spring rates King would not give there rates, but it does raise the car 35mm. Here is a copy of the email:

"King makes these SPECIAL for their distributors. The rally raised Mark 4 springs are $499/set of 4 and could come in with my next shipment in late Feb -- IF YOU ORDER VERY SOON, they would add to current order, which is already been placed and is in production. Respond now, or it will have to be air shipped from Australia ($$$) or on our next boat order (due in Sept-Oct). CALL! or email. They have used this spring on the Safari rally."

So they are not cheep but it is about $100 more that jetta wagon springs.
So took the plunge and Ordered a set!!

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
It will be very interesting to see what these do. Also would be great to get together in person with someone with the same vehicle but with the 2B, 2W and Wagon rears for comparison -- lift height, ride, etc.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Yea I have seen them before on ecs tuning. I am not sure what springs there off of. I did see a 1 white or silver and four browns on the spring in the picture. I will have to call them and check it out.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
So I called the guys at ECS and they really could not tell me anything about the springs set. They said it was off a euro or a canadian verison. I tried the oem part number the gave 1J0698200614 With no luck!
They had no info on spring rates or anything like that.

TDS

TDI
TJ, IMO the spring rate is key. Without a variable spring rate you end up with a lifted car but the ride has great potential for harshness. Rally inspired suspensions normally raise the vehicle while still having a compliant ride. I did a little research on this subject a few years ago when I wanted a moderate lift, smoother ride when empty, and no degradation in payload capacity for my Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 (Cummins powered of course!). I ended up installing a Kore Performance Chase system, i.e front coils, rear springs, and Bilsteins all around. Kore, one of several top notch truck rally suspension manufacturers out of southern California, specializes in off road racing suspensions and they, like most off road suspension manufacturers, have proprietary spring rates.
Bottom line: I am completely satisfied with this setup on my Dodge and am a true believer in vehicle specific Rally inspired suspension vs basic lift kits or using springs from similar vehicles. By no means do I claim to be a suspension expert, in fact I have provided my full wealth of suspension knowledge in this post ....
I anxiously await your assessment :D
Tom

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
TDS, I am also totally pleased with my KORE chase system on my Dodge. I went with the Shine RSS system for my Golf & couldn't be more pleased as well. Both systems provided slight lift, stiff but comfortable ride & vastly improved performance.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Tom I could not agree with you more! I have seen that Kore system on a few trucks now and it is bad ass! It is like a semi pre-runner set up with out going nuts! That is pretty much what I am going for , a semi tarmac or gravel rally set up! I have looked around quite a bit for a answer. I have had a lot of people talk about the RSS kit or the jetta wagon kit. I went and looked at the DMS site which the 50mm coilover is the ultimate set up, but it is $3500. Out of my range. I have also looked at King shocks...
http://www.kingshocks.com/category/king-products/springs/

They make bad ass pre-runner shock and spring kits. I thought about trying out some of there springs for my golf. I have the same goal as you in the end my friend. A variable rate spring the provides a mild lift yet great performance on tarmac and dirt.

TDS

TDI
Dark Horse,
I've looked at the Shine products and you've confirmed what I suspected; quality product with high design standards. Always good to get confirmation from someone familiar with running a rally inspired suspension , especially a fellow Dodge Kore alumni :cool:
TJ,
I'm also trying to keep a realistic budget on upgrading my Jetta's suspension since it will be handed down to my oldest son when he starts driving :eek: later this year. We currently live in a rural part of northern NH where frost heave signs are common on the two lanes I drive. With my current skid plate and planned better suspension, hopefully the car will last him through the rest of his school years.
Please keep me informed regarding your King coil driving impressions after you get them. Thanks much!
Tom

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Well I am in it to win it now! I just found out that the spring guy was able to get the King springs on his next order. So some time in feb I will have the Kings! I hope they are worth it!

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Ok so after a very long wait I got the king springs!!:D

So the fronts are about 13in and the back are 13.5. I am not to sure how these compare to my stock springs. Kings says 45mm lift which is not really that much. My stock springs are 2 green 2blue in the front not sure in rear.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
I can not figure out how to get the pics bigger?
Anyways I need to order shocks/struts next plus some new mounts. I thing I am going with Koni SRTs for the jetta wagon. The king guys said use bilstiens HDs but I think that will be too stiff. Anyone care to weigh in??

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf

Fronts

Ok I got the bigger pics! I also ordered some Koni STRS for a jetta wagon from Kerma TDI. It looks like I can get them to install this set up as well!!

Last edited:

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
No not yet! I moved in may down to Los alamos NM.
I need to do it! I got new shicks and struts, just need new mounts.

randyamos

TDI
'99 Jetta
How did the Kings work out?

Hey toastyjosh,

I just read this thread and was sad to see no definitive review, pics, etc on the King Springs or Hi-Lift springs.

I've got a '99 TDI Jetta with an ever lowering clearance of about 3" and the roads around my house are practically a rally course. Anyhoo, I am looking to lift her up a bit, and wanted to see how your Kings worked out for you.

Thanks,
Randy

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
I can not figure out how to get the pics bigger?
Anyways I need to order shocks/struts next plus some new mounts. I thing I am going with Koni SRTs for the jetta wagon. The king guys said use bilstiens HDs but I think that will be too stiff. Anyone care to weigh in??
I am using Bilstein TC's (firmer oe length replacements), stock Golf springs (for now), 20mm of lift, and 205/70-15" (26.3ish inch) Yokohama AT/S tires. This yields me a combo of zero rub, low to medium speed control, and enough ride height for the vast majority of the trails I rip up. For mild rally, rock crawling and general nice and not-so nice trail riding, it works. Overall, it is too soft off road, but great for a daily driver. I have 03' Jetta VR6/auto trans front springs (2 blue/2 white) ready to go in the front struts when I get a free moment....can't wait. Should yield another 1/4" to 1/2" when all set.

I would not recommend the Koni strt struts. These struts are designed for oem height to mildly lowered cars. I was told that they most likely have a reduced rebound stroke (ie: shorter shaft). Why is this bad? When you lift you A4 car, you lose rebound stroke proportionally to the lift height. 1) You will hear/feel top out noise that may damage the shocks and struts. 2) If you install a strut that starts with a shorter stroke, you lose wheel articulation and therefore traction. And traction is the holy grail. Ask me how I know...

Koni Reds most likely mimic oem stroke lengths. You can also adjust your rebound speed to match your new springs. Since they are oil damped, ride characteristics generally don't change. Especially in the cold winter.

As for the King recommendations? They are absolutely correct. HD's have a larger piston diameter and are overall strong struts. But you are also correct. They are harsh on road. Especially in the cold winter. But remember, you asked for recommendations on a rally set up. If this is your daily driver, you may have to think it through. My Golf is my wife's daily driver....she loves the way it drives and handles. Thus I didn't go with HD's.

Way back when, These guys used to race an A4 Golf. Part of their suspension combo was VR6 Jetta w/auto trans sedan springs and Bilstein HD's. I don't recall the tire size but I'm sure a quick PM would yield a lot of info.

And on the mounts: These would be best if you are going to be ripping fire roads up. The OE stuff degrades fairly easy. These mounts will cause more vibration. This thread is a good starter. There are more TDi'ers that use these and have posted opinions.

I hope I didn't assume to much. Sounds like you are building a fun car.

Last edited:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I am happy to read about the STR.T struts - I had been considering a set myself but now I'm debating.. I have to disagree with JungleDeath on one thing, though... based on what I've read, I'll stay away from anything 034 Motorsport makes... their dogbones have been dogmeat.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
80d dog bones are a huge no-no. My car vibrates w/ modded stock rubber.

I was recomending 80d strut mounts. Only if the op was racing.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I would not recommend the Koni strt struts. These struts are designed for oem height to mildly lowered cars. I was told that they most likely have a reduced rebound stroke (ie: shorter shaft). Why is this bad? When you lift you A4 car, you lose rebound stroke proportionally to the lift height. 1) You will hear/feel top out noise that may damage the shocks and struts. 2) If you install a strut that starts with a shorter stroke, you lose wheel articulation and therefore traction. And traction is the holy grail. Ask me how I know...

Koni Reds most likely mimic oem stroke lengths. You can also adjust your rebound speed to match your new springs. Since they are oil damped, ride characteristics generally don't change. Especially in the cold winter.
This speaks to a question I've had and never really have found an answer to: Would mating Koni Red wagon struts/shocks with VR6 springs in the front and wagon springs in the rear be better or are regular Koni Reds better with this spring upgrade?

Not having the answer to this is partly why my VR6 and wagon springs are still not installed....

Don't mean to hijack -- I think the question adds to the thread.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Wagon Reds would work fine with VR6 springs and wagon rears. However, there are many versions of VR6 springs, including lowering springs, so be sure you know what you have for the fronts before installing. VR6 wagon springs would be best.

Red struts are the same, wagon or sedan. The wagon rear shocks are slightly longer than the sedan shocks.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Wagon Reds would work fine with VR6 springs and wagon rears. However, there are many versions of VR6 springs, including lowering springs, so be sure you know what you have for the fronts before installing. VR6 wagon springs would be best.

Red struts are the same, wagon or sedan. The wagon rear shocks are slightly longer than the sedan shocks.
You are up early. :)

Jetta VR6/auto trans front springs = 2blue/2white paint dots. There is also a 3 blue/1 white that is good but unsure what vehicles they come from.

If you plan to LIFT your Golf, the wagon shocks would give you back some rebound extension in the rear. The fronts will stay the same. VR6/wagon springs are a great combo.

Last edited: