Kinda of sad

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
I placed a WTB ad on VW Vortex for a 5-lug donut spare wheel, and all 5 responses I received were from BS scam artists with the classic "send payment as friends & family"! Even after I offered to send MORE than they asked for to cover PayPal fees, they insisted on F&F payment.
Conisdering that we're talking about approx. $100, this is truly sad.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I agree, it's gotten to a very bad point with some sellers. I recall someone in eastern europe (he's on Facebook) who I asked to send me a lens for a B3 european headlight and he did, but he packed it in nothing more than a bubble mailer, so it was nothing but shards when it reached me.

In response to my outrage that he didn't pack it properly he claimed that I was being rude for complaining about it and then refused to fulfill the original agreement and quit responding to my emails about it. In the end I had no recourse since so much time had passed between his responses, which was intentional. So it would seem I was out of luck or at least reduced to posting up complaints regarding his selling practices on the groups he belongs to in FB...which I happen to belong to as well.

I've asked around locally here to see if a 5x100 donut can be found.

Steve

EDIT: it appears that this spare is a 16" version...

EDIT2: Looks like there might be one at Rockville Used Auto Parts in Rockville MD. 1-301-279-5833 stock # 790428 size is T12570R16.

It might be gone, but give them a call to see if it might be around. This would be pretty close to where you are!!

Last edited:

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Seems like the kind of everyday item you'd want to pick up locally. Probably several people selling them on CL or Offerup. Responding to a F/S ad makes you far less a target than placing your own WTB.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Internet pirates are the worst and I'm a bit surprised the vortex has this time of nonsense floating around. A few months ago and I would have given you the one off my TT donor and if I run into anything I'll let you know.

Word of advice-- I just bought a ton parts internationally and even if the seller seemed trustworthy, I had him take pics and create auctions for everything I purchased, and even paid his EBay fees.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I placed a WTB ad on VW Vortex for a 5-lug donut spare wheel, and all 5 responses I received were from BS scam artists with the classic "send payment as friends & family"! Even after I offered to send MORE than they asked for to cover PayPal fees, they insisted on F&F payment.
I actually got that here too.
On my post looking for an a/c line

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Word of advice-- I just bought a ton parts internationally and even if the seller seemed trustworthy, I had him take pics and create auctions for everything I purchased, and even paid his EBay fees.
Make sure you read the terms of the eBay buyer guarantee. It's not very good in my opinion. I recently bought a laptop off eBay, the shipment was returned to the sender due to an address error (my fault). I never even saw the package. Even though the tracking clearly showed that the item had been returned to the sender I was not eligible for any coverage. eBay told me to work it out with the seller. The seller refused to send my money back. Thankfully I paid with a credit card and was able to use them to get the money back with basically zero hassle.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Waw... That is insane and thanks for the heads-up. I've had a few hiccups bit nothing to the point where EBay did not step in and help return my money-- thought that's what the "EBay guarantee" represented.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I was totally baffled. It made no sense. So I spent a good hour studying the conditions of their guarantee and according to the fine print, I wasn't covered. I haven't bought anything off eBay since.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
that site is NOTHING but bots making new posts to ancient threads, and scammers on the WTB area. ever since they merged, they have been DEAD other than spam

Last edited by a moderator:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
CL has this one by you but clearly he is on something... https://richmond.craigslist.org/wto/d/richmond-tires-and-wheels/7308617047.html

Then there's this one with a more realistic price...
$360? Granted it's for 4. But still

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I think he's wanting the donut spare. Does the sedan have the capacity for a full sized spare? I know the wagon's do, but for some reason I was thinking that sedan was like jetta and didn't have a deep tire well.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Thanks for all the responses.
Steve: I asume Blake is reliable and i will receive a 5A0 601 025 in good condition and suitable for use.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks for all the responses.
Steve: I asume Blake is reliable and i will receive a 5A0 601 025 in good condition and suitable for use.
Yes, although I haven't dealt with him in years he's good with VW parts.

Steve