Kind of PISSED over the "FIX OPTION"

joe schmoe

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual Trans
I elected to go with the FIX from VW, as I bought this car for it's crazy fuel mileage. So, I opt for the FIX from VW do all the paperwork, get notified all paperwork is approved "pending the FIX".

I then read in the fine details, that VW has till May of 2018 to develop and get approved "the FIX" and in the mean time, I'm RESTRICTED to no more than 12,500 miles a year or it will affect my re-imbuirsement payment?? ***?
I bought the car to drive both local and on trips, now to avoid impacting my re-imbursement I've got to try and not exceed the 12,500???

Why is the burden on me to not drive a car I bought to be driven?? Kind of PISSED over this FIX option!!!

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
no one is forcing you to get the fix. Just drive it. If the fix may come around, take your free money and be glad you get something rather than nothing

joe schmoe

TDI
no one is forcing you to get the fix. Just drive it. If the fix may come around, take your free money and be glad you get something rather than nothing
No they aren't; but the burden should not be on the VW owner...The burden should be on VW to pay the restitution regardless of number of miles driven...

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I didn't think the fix option was tied to mileage. I also opted for the fix when it comes available, till then I will drive the car. I generally put on 30K a year.

Even if the fix doesn't happen I will keep the car and enjoy the mileage it gets, besides I like the car and that is why I bought it.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
You need to get better informed. No one is forcing you to do anything and you can still sell your car back even if you go over 12.5k, you just get a reasonable deduction due that useage. It's quite fair. Also, there will never be a fix, in my opinion. If you have a gen 1 car it won't be possible without extremely intrusive and costly designs. It's not worth it for VW/Audi.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
No one promised you when you purchased the car that putting miles on it would not affect the car's value.

You are not restricted anymore on your VW than any other car. - you actually should be happy that you get to drive up to 12,500 mile per year for free.

Since when do people think that they should get to drive any amount of miles without depreciation????

Last edited:

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
the restitution payment is affected by mileage, with a floor of $5100 if you get 100% restitution. It's all in the documents.

joe schmoe

TDI
I didn't think the fix option was tied to mileage. I also opted for the fix when it comes available, till then I will drive the car. I generally put on 30K a year.

Even if the fix doesn't happen I will keep the car and enjoy the mileage it gets, besides I like the car and that is why I bought it.
IF you got the "quote" for you fix re-imbursement, once you get all the paperwork from VW America it says; "the re-imbursment will go down if you drive more than 12.5K each year until the fix is issued"

joe schmoe

TDI
No one promised you when you purchased the car that putting miles on it would not affect the car's value.

You are not restricted anymore on your VW than any other car. - you actually should be happy that you get to drive up to 12,500 mile per year for free.

Since when do people think that they should get to drive any mile without depreciation????
It has NOTHING to do with depreciation. It has all to do with VW stating that a Jetta will be paid $XXXX plus be fixed for the illegal software they introduced. I as the consumer did nothing to bereak the law or avoid EPA regulations.

AGAIN, why is the BURDEN on the consumer who has not done anything to break the law?? VW is the one who unsuccessfully tried to cheat the American people, they should have the earnest on them regardless of miles driven to pay a set value..

Granted, if there were NO LAWS broken, yes it would be simple standard depreciation, no big deal a car is not an investment. This goes outside the normal...It's not about depreciation; it's a company violating law and having to pay restitution to the consumer who they took advantage of, without ANY BURDEN on the consumer!!

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
Hi Joe, I think you may have an incomplete understanding of the reimbursement valuation which may be contributing to your anger here. Exceeding 12.5Kmiles/year doesn't eliminate your possible reimbursement, it just reduces the dollar value by a small amount. Take a look at the chart in
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/2104_-_exhibit_2b.pdf
A 2012 Jetta has a mileage allocation of 55K miles + 1042 miles/month (counting months between September and your ultimate turn-in or fix date). If you put an extra 100K miles on the car above the the allocation it would reduce your buy-back by about $5760 or reduce your fix payment by $960. Seems quite a reasonable part of the reimbursement calculation. Drive the car as much as you want.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
You get what was negotiated. If you wanted something different, you had the option of opting out of the settlement, and suing separately.

joe schmoe

TDI
Hi Joe, I think you may have an incomplete understanding of the reimbursement valuation which may be contributing to your anger here. Exceeding 12.5Kmiles/year doesn't eliminate your possible reimbursement, it just reduces the dollar value by a small amount. Take a look at the chart in
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/2104_-_exhibit_2b.pdf
A 2012 Jetta has a mileage allocation of 55K miles + 1042 miles/month (counting months between September and your ultimate turn-in or fix date). If you put an extra 100K miles on the car above the the allocation it would reduce your buy-back by about $5760 or reduce your fix payment by $960. Seems quite a reasonable part of the reimbursement calculation. Drive the car as much as you want.
Thank you, had not seen this table.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea man, you still get restitution, just a bit less if you exceed average mileage.

I personally think it's very fair....even better than I would have done if I were the judge.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you put an extra 100,000 miles on the car over and above the 12,500 per year allowed, it reduces the "fix" by about $1000. That's 1 cent per mile and only for the mileage over and above the 12,500 per year. And if it reaches the floor of $5100, put as much on as you want, it doesn't make a difference.

If you change to buyback, it costs you 5 cents per mile and only for mileage over and above the 12,500 per year.

There is no other remotely new-ish vehicle that will depreciate that little.

Kwitcherbellyachin' ...

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
If you put an extra 100,000 miles on the car over and above the 12,500 per year allowed, it reduces the "fix" by about $1000. That's 1 cent per mile and only for the mileage over and above the 12,500 per year. And if it reaches the floor of $5100, put as much on as you want, it doesn't make a difference.

If you change to buyback, it costs you 5 cents per mile and only for mileage over and above the 12,500 per year.

There is no other remotely new-ish vehicle that will depreciate that little.

Kwitcherbellyachin' ...
EXACTALY!! Drive the crap out of your car! It won't depreciate from age, ONLY excess milage. AND then it's very little. I'd like you to find a better deal anywhere, ever! I can understand people complaining about legitimate issues but this certainly is NOT one of them!

XtreemLee

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon Wagon (bought back), 2006 Golf GLI
If you have a gen 1 car it won't be possible without extremely intrusive and costly designs. It's not worth it for VW/Audi.
I've been saying the same, gen 1 will never get a fix approved. VW has people working on gen 2 and 3 but zero people working on gen 1. In fact VW has no intention of fixing gen 1, they want people to drive them, put on miles and lesson the payout...

In order to fix gen 1, the engine bay needs to be pulled and replumbed, then you lose spare tire for urea tank and there isn't room underneath for the new exhaust.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Hmmm. A guy who wants to drive his car unlimited miles, and be paid the same as if he doesn't drive it at all.

I like to come to this site to find more and more examples of chutzpah.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've been saying the same, gen 1 will never get a fix approved. VW has people working on gen 2 and 3 but zero people working on gen 1. In fact VW has no intention of fixing gen 1, they want people to drive them, put on miles and lesson the payout...

In order to fix gen 1, the engine bay needs to be pulled and replumbed, then you lose spare tire for urea tank and there isn't room underneath for the new exhaust.
Those are extreme claims. Cite your source, please.

The general description of the proposed Gen 1 fix, which is in the consent decree, does not include SCR and therefore there is no need for a urea tank. It consists of a different (bigger?) LNT catalyst and the NOx emission requirements were relaxed - about an 80% reduction as opposed to full compliance which would be about a 95% reduction.

Whether that proposed fix actually does what they want it to do ... remains to be seen, but I strongly suspect that the general description found in the consent decree did not magically appear out of thin air.

If it turns out that this does not meet even the relaxed NOx requirements, or if it is found to not meet durability requirements (this is my concern), THEN these cars are getting squashed.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
.... VW has people working on gen 2 and 3 but zero people working on gen 1. ....

it is great to have someone here posting who has direct visibility into VW engineering staffing assignments and is not worried about his or her job.

wbclassics

TDI
No TDI - VW Bought it Back (Dec 4th 2017)
VW did make us certain promises prior too and at the time we purchased our cars.

Oh right...

VW got a pretty good deal with this settlement, and apparently quite a few owners think they won the lottery too... but overall, it is not a great settlement. The fact that they even included the fix as an option in the settlement, is yet another deception, if the fix never becomes available.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys I think the OP has changed his tune.

It appears he was not aware that he would still receive compensation, just a tad less for going too many miles.

Cheers everyone!

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
AGAIN, why is the BURDEN on the consumer who has not done anything to break the law?? VW is the one who unsuccessfully tried to cheat the American people, they should have the earnest on them regardless of miles driven to pay a set value..
Life isn't fair. You want a participation trophy too?

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
yep an extra 5 grand in my pocket that i never expected doesnt have me pissed...
I hear ya, it's by a long stretch the best car I've ever owned, I get to drive it unlimited amounts of miles, I get a bunch of extended warranties and some new parts (whenever they figure this our formally), AND you give me $5,100. Where do I sign? Oh, hmmm... And where can I buy another? :)