Keyless entry intermittent failure

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hello, I have searched for a similar issue but did not see any matching threads. I have a 2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL with keyless entry. It has recently started to intermittently fail to lock/unlock with a touch of the door handle. It does open if I use the buttons on the remote. Has anyone else had this issue and if so is there a way to fix this issue? Thx

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Yup, twice butt the first time the remote just totally stopped working. The last time I changed the battery the remote still worked fine but I figured I would change it to see if it solved this problem. It did not...

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I had the drivers door handle/sensor replaced, when I experienced similar issues.

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It has happened in different places while I am traveling so I don't think it is RF interference that I can figure out. It also affects both sides and the trunk at the same time so I am not sure it is one sensor unless one sensor can affect all three locations. Going to try another battery tomorrow. Hoping that works. As sad as this sounds, I hate taking my fob out of my pocket and unlocking or locking with the button... What has this world come to, we are so friggin spoiled by technology. Lol

rmilchman

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I found that if my phone and keys are in the same pocket and my phone is in between the keys and car that the locks usually do not work correctly.

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
Hello, I have searched for a similar issue but did not see any matching threads. I have a 2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL with keyless entry. It has recently started to intermittently fail to lock/unlock with a touch of the door handle. It does open if I use the buttons on the remote. Has anyone else had this issue and if so is there a way to fix this issue? Thx
When this happened to me I figured that the door handle was the issue and it turned out to be the battery in the remote. Replace that and I bet it solves your problem.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
R4074: PAY ATTENTION! Read post #3...:p (please self-administer appropriate dope slap...)

muscle_cars_only

TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI , 13 Passat TDI SE , 13 Passat TDI SEL
R4074: PAY ATTENTION! Read post #3...:p (please self-administer appropriate dope slap...)
Could still be the batteries.. These remotes are very finicky and need full voltage.. Were new and old batts check with meter? If so, what was voltage? It's usually the simple things that give the most headaches...

Last edited:

Canuck64

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
I have been having the same issue for several months now, but because it never seems to happen at the dealership they can't do anything about it.
A video recording of it doesn't help either.

Costello

TDI
no longer
Been having the same issue for a few weeks/months now.
While I haven't changed the batteries yet, it seems to always work when the environment is dry, less reliable when there's moisture around. I did have the lock/latch freezing issue last year, and the dealership replaced the seals.

Will be replacing the fob batteries.

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I had this exact problem. Brought it to the dealer twice and they found nothing wrong, I repeated it in front of them,(luckly).

Dealer replaced FOB battery and said if they get below 80% it could cause it. It's been flawless for two weeks now. Safe to say it will need a new one in another 2 years.

TLDR: Change FOB Battery

xxcsu

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Package 2 ; 2013 Passat Tdi SEL ; 2012 Golf TDI
I have a 2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL with keyless entry. It has recently started to intermittently fail to unlock the door with a touch of the driver side door handle. Locking all the door with the a touch of handle on driver side is working fine , except the driver side door is not locking at all . I can not lock the door with the key inserted to the lock either, after i removed the plastic cover from the door handle and inserted the key . To lock/unlock all the door from passenger side with the touch of the door handle working fine , except the driver side door is not locking at all . I got a clicking noise when im driving my car and the car got around 10-15 mph , sounds like its trying to lock all the door.
My guess is :) nothing wrong with my kessy ( keyless entry) , or my remote ,( just in case i replaced the battery , and checked the voltage) ... it should be the driver side door lock latch itself , Door Lock Actuator
Ordered the parts few days ago to replace the latch , will update this post as soon as i got the the parts and replaced them .
For 2013 passat tdi SEL :
front door latch left side : 5k1-837-015-e
door latch cup : 5k0-837-349-b

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
I've the same problem.

It happened with first fob, then I switched to second fob. all worked fine. now it's intermittent again. I'm going to change the battery thanks to this post.

Does someone have a quick link to the battery I need and directions for replacement?

I'll do another search thanks for the information.

JT

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Replaced the battery for a second time and it seems to be working fine again. Must have had a dud battery that only lasted a few months.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
New keyfob battery fixed it for me.

I have a key fob that's been doing this off and on for the past 6 months. Funny thing is, it's the fob that isn't used much (except to move the car or something). The keyfob that has been used since day one doesn't have a problem. But when I use the new fob, it would not lock or unlock the car. It will still allow keyless start but not lock/unlock. Think I will go ahead and change the battery anyway and put it on a 2 year change out schedule, rather it needs it or not. ;)

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
I've the same problem.

It happened with first fob, then I switched to second fob. all worked fine. now it's intermittent again. I'm going to change the battery thanks to this post.

Does someone have a quick link to the battery I need and directions for replacement?

I'll do another search thanks for the information.

JT
Looks like a CR2032 fits. Over the years, I've collected 2016's up to 2032's for watches, remotes, etc.. I know I have a crap load of 32's and 25's.

https://youtu.be/xMbl_y-OVrc