Keyless entry acting up on my 97 Passat

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
I have had the Jetta keyless MOD on for a few years now. Always worked fine. All of the sudden out of no where about a month ago my left rear door window switch or the LR dash window switch will do the same as pressing the lock button on the remote. It even arms the alarm (door LED flashing). I have unhooked the battery to see if it clears. No dice. Any ideas?

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
can someone describe what that jumper wire that was added for the MOD did? Maybe that has come off or if that happened would the keyless work at all?

mjanney

Veteran Member
When I installed my wireless in the Passat I did not have all the wiring secure and I had symptoms like that. You probably just need to get back under there and make sure everything is tight.

I have a weird thing happenning now, when I lock the vacuum goes about 3 times trying to lock and then stops It gets it on the first try but maybe there is a slight leak or some resistance somewhere. But as long as it is still working I'm happy. It is such a great mod!

PaJames

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat TDI wagon
Is there a way to tell if a passat has the keyless set up? where would the control box be if it was installed but not wired up. I also have the original window sticker for the car, would it be listed on there? I didnt look at the sticker to see if it is listed yet (morning lazyness, need coffee). I do have the factory alarm set, ya know turn the key light blinks, open door from inside and horn beeps.
James K.

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
MJANNEY ,
Mine does the same thing usually in that it tries 3-4 times even though it locks the first time. I have found if you press the lock button on the remote while it is locking the first time it stops.
PAJAMES,
From what I know it was not even an option on the 96 or 97 Passat in the states. Us folks that have it got the remote/ receiver setup from a salvage yard from a 1997 Jetta that had it as an option. Our cars do have the plug to plug it into and it also requires a jumper wire be added. DO some searching and there is many posts from the past detailing the MOD. It is a great MOD and among other thing it reduces the key/ door lock / ignition switch wear which is high on these cars reaching 200k having been locked with the key in the door for years over & over. THe range of the remote sucks though.

Last edited:

drewbowski

TDI
'02 Jetta
not sure if this is the right thread, but...
when unlocking doors with the fob, the passenger doors won't unlock.
it seemed to start after my battery was drained, when my brake light switch failed, and my brake lights came on – all day, while i was at work.
before, two simultaneous pushes would unlock the other three doors. now, i hear something go, but no unlocky.
any suggestions?

’02 Jetta

TDI
2005 Jetta
I have the exact same problem after yesterday's trip to the dealer for a dead battery. Is there some way to program so the double button push will start opening the other doors again?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'd try the reprogramming procedures - making sure to do it with all of the fobs. It's cheap and easy - and might work.

maxgerman

Check the wires feeding the rear window motor-regulator

I had a similar problem with a 1997 VW Jetta with 2.0L and automatic trans. The right rear window wouldn't work at all and the alarm was all messed up going off all the time. It turned out that the ground wire going to the right rear window was disconnected. You can access the wires by just opening up the rear door and pulling off the rubber cover that goes around the wiring loom. It is in front of the rear door between the pillar and the door. Otherwise, maybe the rear power window motor is bad and shorting out the alarm. They are connected!

A2B4guy

Vendor
TDI
none yet
Max is right. If there is an actual problem, it is most likely due to broken wires in the door wiring conduit. I have repaired 4-5 broken wires on mine so far. Symptoms will vary based on which part of the circuitry is interrupted. This could affect window operation, alarm, or locking.

As for keyless systems, there was no factory keyless system on Passats before the B5. There was however a keyless system for B4's that was sold as an accessory through the parts department. Some dealers would install these on cars that they wanted to "load up" for profit.

The Mk 3 system is a great install. For early B4's it is a matter of just swapping the modules and programming the remotes. Later in MY1995, B4's started coming with "selective unlocking". This is where one turn of the key only opens the driver's door, the second turn unlocks everything. For these cars you must do the jumper wire due to a change in wiring required by the new feature.

Anytime the battery is severely drained, it is a good idea to reprogram the remotes if you have them all available. If you don't have them all, someone will be locked out!