Key won't turn all the way in ignition

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Arrived home from work, turned off the car. Tried to turn it on after 5 minutes, the key turns only one position. When I remove it, it doesn't go back as far as it used to do, to lock the steering wheel. Car is a DSG, gear selector is in park, the steering wheel moves freely with the key removed. I've sprayed some WD-40, and was able to turn it all the way only once, now it won't turn again.
Trying to save some money here, can anyone tell me how much I can tackle myself of replacing the key cylinder (I'm assuming that I will need to buy it from dealership, and the key will also need to be reprogrammed)? I've found some threads on vwvortex, but the picture links are dead.
Thank you.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Usually one of the wafers in the tumbler assembly get bent and jamb up the works. We used to put in new tumblers until my VW tech discovered that he could go out to the car with a skinny screwdriver that would fit in the slot, a light, and a small hammer. He would look in the slot, identify the misplaced wafer and knock it out of place with the screwdriver and hammer. The switch then works fine without the offending wafer. He has hammer fixed several of them since and not a one of them has returned with problems. He even posted a you tube video on the fix.

Even if it doesn't work for you, you are no worse off for trying. The alternative is to get a keyed cylinder from VW, they can order one to match your key, and replace that. No need to re code the switch since you are using the original key and that is what the immo looks at.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I have an 06 and recently had to replace my lock, but it was not the key cylinder itself that was bad, rather, the lock assembly itself. The lock assembly apparently has a known weakness that causes it to fail. It is a royal pain in the ass to remove the 2 bolts that hold the lock on the steering column, as they have snap-off heads when installed so as to make them very difficult to remove. I bought some from VW, but when I reinstalled the new lock assembly, I just used regular allen head bolts instead, as I don't need such a ridiculous level of security. See MyTurbodiesel website for detailed lock replacement guidance. I had to use a dremel tool to cut a slot in the head in order to be able to unscrew the lock assembly from the steering wheel, but the process is within the ability of a determined amateur, as there are several excellent videos about these crappy lock assemblies. It is my understanding that typical VW techs will simply smash one of the plastic components and replace it instead of going through the tedium and contortionist actions required to remove the defective assembly without destroying the part.

Your problem may be simple enough that spraying some WD40 in the lock might solve your issue, but my bet is that you need to replace the part I had to replace, which is not the key cylinder at all, but the steering lock assembly in which the tumbler resides.

mdv03

TDI
2006 Jetta
Which lock assembly did you get? Exact same problem. Only issue I have now is that I have everything off except the signal/wiper assembly. It is supposed to slide off after the snap off bolts are removed, but it feel like the column lock is still slightly engaged (I can still turn the wheel if I put it back on the shaft) and wont release anything. I can't get the cylinder off.

Fairly certain it is the same issue and do not want to get an entire assembly. Having a hard time finding a part number for the lock assembly.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
The dealer sells two ignition lock assemblies: one with harness, cheaper, the other one without the harness, more expensive. Of course, I bought the cheaper one, I don't recall the the part number. If I correctly recall, the signal and wiper assemblies can be removed individually. If you cannot remove the plastic piece that holds them, I think the dealer sells it. Once you make sure the dealer has it, I would break it apart.

pepprdgefarm

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Anybody have trouble removing the ignition cylinder from the steering lock assembly? I can only turn my key to the first position, so can't line up the cylinder to remove it via paper clip. I've been pushing on the button/tab on the steering lock assembly while turning the key, but to no avail.

I've checked out probably 7 different videos on Youtube, but nobody seems to have any issues lining up the ignition cylinder to the on position to remove it. If I can't even turn the key to the right position, what am I supposed to do?

A few videos mention having to drill out the springs holding in the ignition cylinder. Is that the only option?

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Just ran into this problem on a 08 2.5 MKV Jetta. Will I need to replace all these parts or can I get away with only replacing the lock housing?

Ignition Switch

Product ID: 1K0-905-849-B
Remove
$57.12 Quantity $57.12
Lock Housing

Product ID: 1K0-905-841
Remove
$131.89 Quantity $131.89
Ignition Lock Cylinder

Product ID: 107-905-855-CF
Remove
$89.10 Quantity $89.10

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
It just happen to me tonight, key turns but not far enough to engage the starter.

Came back after a while and raised and lowered the steering wheel a few times and tried the key and it worked, and tried it again and it worked again but the third time it did not nor did it again till I gave up.

Problem is its the car my daughter drives and she's leaving in a week for a cross country trip to college and I hope it can be fixed before she leaves.

Going to get it in the shop this Monday but have to try starting while raising and lowering the steering wheel again and if that fails try looking for the offending wafer and knocking it out tomorrow. Otherwise it will have to be towed in.

Do the dealerships normally have the ignition switches in stock for the 2006 TDI Jetta's.

Last edited:

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Graphite dust or a light lubricant help the lock mechanism function,.. or bad idea?

** Remember to unload the lock using the steering wheel BEFORE turning the key. **

JTKell

TDI
Is the mk5 steering lock barrel is the same as the mk6 and is it possible to swap the sensor and key barrel over