Key will not turn over car after battery disconnected for 2 months

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group, Need some help here from the experts. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI. We parked/stored this car over the winter and to make sure bad things didn't happen (electrical short, mice, etc.) we unhooked the battery. After wanting to get it out of storage we connected the battery, put it on a charger and after a bit we tried to start it. Turn the key, glow plug lights do not come on (cycle) like they used to and when you turn the key nothing happens. I checked the started because we have had to replace it in the past and when I cross the terminals it would crank but not start (had the key on inside). Everything else works in the car (locks, trunk, gas cap, windows, etc) but the car will not turn over with the key and it will not start when trying to bypass the key. Any thoughts?

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
Following as I have a similar problem. Didn't disconnect battery over the winter but had a charger/tender on over the winter. Everything lights up but no crank. No check engine light. Just no crank. Last started in the fall 2022.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
not a bad battery, again I charged it up and is fully charged. I can turn the engine over with the starter using the ol' screwdriver across the starter terminals. It will turn the engine over but it will not start 9even with the key on)

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
Again… what is the voltage of the battery????You need a voltage meter that reads dc voltage .
First step in electrical troubleshooting….

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group, update on this issue. To answer backfast61 question. The battery is at ~12.5V. So during this investigation period I have left the key in the car. When I went out to do some more investigation, I thought let's try it again and low and behold the car now turns over with the key. That is good. Bad thing it will not start. Seems like it is not getting fuel (there is fuel in the tank). Just wondering that since the battery was unhooked and the key was out that the system had to have the key in it for some time for the system to recognize it again to allow it to turn it over. Maybe it has to do the same thing for the system to activate the fuel pump. I thought maybe the immobilizer was causing this so I locked/unlocked doors, etc but it still did not work. One thing I did notice though is the dash lights remain on even when the keep removed (CEL, bulb out, etc.). Thoughts now?

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
After troubleshooting, I have a bad starter solenoid. Battery fully charged @ 12.6 volts. Ignition switch OK. Found blue (cruise control) clutch switch bad(but that won't prevent car from starting). New switch on order. Clutch pedal start switch (white switch) OK. Pulled out the battery and tray to get access to the starter connections. Applied direct 12 volts thru battery jumper cable to battery +ve terminal and used a small jumper lead to supply 12 volt to solenoid pin. No engagement of starter solenoid at all. No clicks, bangs or whirrs. Connected test light to solenoid lead and from inside the car I could see it light with the clutch pedal depressed and doesn't light when clutch is not depressed. Confirming the start circuit is good. Applied 12 volts to starter post after the solenoid and starter rotates but sounds rough. So I have a bad solenoid. Next is starter removal and off to the rebuilders. Update to follow.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have no updates. Still trying to find out why all dash lights are on even after I remove the key. Crank, no start.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have not. What it came down to was either the key lost coding or the ECU. I ended up selling the car. Odd if it was the key since it would crank over, just not start. Snorts of ether would get it to fire. This narrowed it down to the fuel pump not delivering fuel. I directed wired the fuel pump (it worked) but it still would not start so unsure.