key fob + toilet = bad

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
ok so i took a leak ...reach over to flush toilet (top flush button on tank) as i reached / leaned over my vw fob/key slipped out of my hoody front pouch pocket and fell into the toilet mid flush ...regardless to say the current took the fob down the drain.

Should i have a concern in regards to my piping possiblely getting backed up do to the fob..or would you think it flushed all the way out into the street mains (sewers)?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
ok so i took a leak ...reach over to flush toilet (top flush button on tank) as i reached / leaned over my vw fob/key slipped out of my hoody front pouch pocket and fell into the toilet mid flush ...regardless to say the current took the fob down the drain.

Should i have a concern in regards to my piping possiblely getting backed up do to the fob..or would you think it flushed all the way out into the street mains (sewers)?
Unless your house is old and the pipes are close to clogged, I think the FOB is long gone by now.

Without getting graphic, it's not that large of an item to flush.

Sorry for your loss.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Shouldn't be an issue at all, could pull a trainspotting move and go in after it :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Depending on the house, You might be able to fish it out through a trap in the basement - if there's one there. It may be light, but it doesn't float.

I have one of those snake cameras for situations like this.

That or a strong flashlight with a mirror on a stick.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If it isn't in the toilet's trap, it's gone. Given that it's about the right size for something that would go down a toilet, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I would say that pulling the toilet is well worth the time and cost (wax ring), even someone inexperienced could have this R&Red in about an hour. Good luck.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
well i have already pulled this toilet out this summer when my 4yr old clogged it. at first he said he through two of his dinky cars in there...but after i pulled it out and cleaned it out it was just tons and tons of toilet paper.

I think that i have to go with the consenses that it is long gone. i really don't feel like taking the toilet out again i heard it rattle through the the toilet my main concern was if it would cause future problems if it didnt make it through the home system and cause back up.

now im down to the secondary fob and valet key.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
So i found a new key fob from the vortex for $60 and got a new key cut from the referenced ebay link from here

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412201&highlight=key+cut

now my question is i know that with the old mk4's we could reprogram the fod to the cars. is this the same case for the mk6 cars. i have read that you cannot use VCDS to reprogram the key to run the car. but can reprogram to lock unlock?

anyone with some knowledge?

Dennis

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
So i found a new key fob from the vortex for $60 and got a new key cut from the referenced ebay link from here
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=412201&highlight=key+cut
now my question is i know that with the old mk4's we could reprogram the fod to the cars. is this the same case for the mk6 cars. i have read that you cannot use VCDS to reprogram the key to run the car. but can reprogram to lock unlock?
anyone with some knowledge?
Dennis
I think it can, the immobalizer i mean. I'm in the same boat with the touareg, minus the toilet portion.

The VCDS form has a section on this (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer) but i don't know which version i have.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
http://www.sidewinderkey.com/

If you own a 2004 to 2010 Touareg, Phaeton, or 2006 to 2014 Volkswagen Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat, Tiguan, Routan, CC. You will need to see your local Volkswagen Dealer for keys. Keys sold on the internet and ebay may not work with these cars. We can help with the price of the remote if your remote separates from the flip key. But you will have to visit your VW dealer to have the new remote activated when the dealer activates the new key. 2010-2014 owners, please see your local VW dealer, the pricing is really not that bad unless you have a "stealership". New keys will turn in the lock but the engine will not start. Making the engine run is a separate function. Only a VW dealer can make your new 2006 to 2014 key start the engine.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI

If you own a 2004 to 2010 Touareg, Phaeton, or 2006 to 2014 Volkswagen Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat, Tiguan, Routan, CC. You will need to see your local Volkswagen Dealer for keys. Keys sold on the internet and ebay may not work with these cars. We can help with the price of the remote if your remote separates from the flip key. But you will have to visit your VW dealer to have the new remote activated when the dealer activates the new key. 2010-2014 owners, please see your local VW dealer, the pricing is really not that bad unless you have a "stealership". New keys will turn in the lock but the engine will not start. Making the engine run is a separate function. Only a VW dealer can make your new 2006 to 2014 key start the engine.
Yup, i need to get mine done. Yeah.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor

And I wonder how much the dealer charges to match the fob to the immo??

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
interesting I called my local dealer and they said they normally charge $109 + tax. so if you have a dealer that can do it for $60 please lmk.

dmp

TDI
15 Golf, 13 Golf (for sale)
A used key, even with a new chip won't be able to be programmed at the dealer. They get their keys cut and pre-programmed (partially) from the warehouse when they order them and, as far as I know, they won't precode a customer supplied key. A locksmith with the proper equipment will be able to carry out the operation and make a virgin chip work for your car. I'm new to this forum (been a VW owner for years but just bought my first TDI this week and thought I'd join).

Please send me a private message for more details of what is needed/how to get it done. I'm new here so I don't want to violate any rules - I can explain the process in more detail if desired