Kessy? Key out of Range, No brake lights.

RDeman

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I'm new to being a VW owner, but not new to diesels ('02 Duramax), and this is my first time reaching out for some help on a forum so I hope I can explain everything in as much depth as possible in order to get a little help or advice before hauling my car to the dealership to get raked over from what I've been reading in the forums I've read.:eek:
I have a 2012 JSW TDI DSG with panoramic roof, NAV System, and 89,000 miles that says "Key out of Range" and it won't start. I bought the car used last summer with 75,000 miles on it from a Ford dealer that said they put a new battery in it and I do see it has a new Motorcraft battery. I've tried just about everything possible from trying my second FOB, changing the FOB battery, unhooking the car battery and shorting the cables, putting a charger on the car battery to charge it up, leaving the battery unhooked for a day, and even holding the FOB next to the start button to resynchronize it, and nothing seems to help. Did I forget anything? Oh Yeah, I even tried the "Secret Start Up" procedure and the car didn't start.
The ignition won't turn on, but I can get the radio to turn on by pressing the radio power button. The FOB can lock/unlock the doors just fine, and the Kessy door handles will also lock/unlock the doors every time, but when I get in the car to start it I get "Key not in Range."
Just tonight while I was troubleshooting things, I was locking and unlocking the doors with the FOB while sitting inside of the car. I don't know what the sequence was, but at some point I opened the door and the dash said "Key inside Vehicle." My best guess is that I opened the door after I locked it, but I'm not 100% sure. After locking the doors the anti theft led in the drivers door blinks 6-7 times.

Over the past 2-3 months I've noticed a few things and don't know if they relate to what's happening in any way, but here goes.
1. I recall that I didn't hear the blinker sound over the speakers a few weeks ago and thought nothing of it until I was reading another "Key out of Range" thread.
2. On 3 occasions this winter during our -10 to -20 degree Wisconsin mornings, after I started my car, I was getting a hissing sound from under the drivers side dash as if there was an air leak. The first 2 times I restarted the car and it went away, but the 3rd time it went away after playing with the brake pedal.
3. On 2-3 occasions during the same -10 to -20 mornings, when I left my house, my glow plug light started flashing. I pulled over, shut the car off, restarted it and it wasn't blinking any more. I never felt any problems with the car and I don't remember if it was happening the same days as the hissing sound. The car started hard, but I let it warm up for at least 30 minutes or more before driving.
4. When I push the ignition button I get the yellow steering wheel light in the left side of the dash, but when I press the brake pedal I don't get the green foot light in the right side of the dash and I also don't have any brake lights. All the tail light bulbs tested ok.
5. I couldn't get the car out of park to load it onto my trailer until I talked to an out of state dealership that finally told me about the yellow lever inside the console off the right side of the shifting lever that releases it. Just pull upwards on the vinyl boot to pop the trim up and expose it then push down on the yellow lever. If anyone knows how to release the steering wheel, let me know. Loading the car onto the trailer was a little tricky. :D

I'd like to troubleshoot the brake switch, and I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy and try to laugh at me, but I can not find a brake switch inside of this car for the life of me. There is a metal bracket around the upper part of the brake lever with gray foam padding wrapped around it. I removed the foam and see a hole where a conventional brake switch should be, but no switch!!!! I have a module of some sort snapped onto the top of that same brake pedal bracket, but when I remove it, all I see is a wire harness connector and no spring loaded switch. I've poked my fingers in and around all these brake pedal parts and see no wiring or switches of any sort. The only bolt I see running threw that bracket is the one that holds the brake pedal and lets it swing forward and backwards.
Does anyone know if the brake pedal switch is part of the plunger assembly that goes threw the floorboard, or if the switch is in the engine compartment? Does anyone have any advice on something I may have overlooked trying, or does it sound like the dealership is going to have me by the short ones here? :eek:
I would appreciate any and all advice I can get and would really hope I'm not the only one that's seeing these types of problems. I've read some forums with similar problems, but not to this extent of symptoms. A few had instrument clusters replaced and the closest one I found to my problem really torqued my butt because the guy never posted what the dealership found wrong with his car!!!:mad: My car is on a trailer and parked inside my heated shop waiting for help or to be towed. HELP!!!!!! :(

Last edited:

thenewguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I had something similar happen with my 2012 TDI Sportwagen, Got it CPO at the dealership, and within a week of getting it, I could not get it to start. Same thing, key not in range, the steering wheel locked up it was crazy. I also had a problem with no audio on the turn signals. They replaced the haptic turn signal stalk, which fixed that problem. According to my paperwork from the dealer, they could not get it unlocked and said that the keys had somehow lost programming with the vehicle. They reprogrammed the keys, cleared stored faults (did not say what the faults were) and finally reprogrammed the keys to the vehicle. I have not had any problems with it since, and I have no idea why the keys would randomly deprogram themselves.

RDeman

TDI
Thanks for the response New Guy, I think you might be the guy I was looking for that had similar problems like I was seeing. I really appreciate the input and didn't mean any disrespect about my butt getting torqued by the way. :D Of all the threads I read over the course of a couple days, your's seemed to be the one that grabbed my attention as being the most similar. I'm still lost as to where the brake switch is at and won't be able to eliminate it as the problem, but I was leaning towards the programming of the car and key FOB's myself. I've never heard of such a thing happening with a car losing it's programming with the key FOB's, but hopefully it's that easy of a fix. I'm going to make an appointment today and will post back what the dealership finds that fixes it. Thanks.

FCSiege

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Does this issue look like what you went through? (YouTube link). Just started for me last week, bought it used at 54k miles in early January.
I tried to jump it out of curiosity, and the starter would turn a few rounds before the electronics would flicker.

2012 Golf TDI

RDeman

TDI
Not the same problem I'm seeing Siege. Your problem doesn't look good either, but at least you can get the ignition on. It doesn't seem like you have a Kessy problem to me from what I've been reading in forums looking for the problems with my car, but I could be wrong. It's almost as if the battery is almost dead in your car or the instrument panel is bad and flipping out. Does it do this all the time or is it intermittent? It looks as if you were at -7C (20F) which isn't extremely cold, but maybe the battery isn't holding enough cranking amps after the glow plugs cycle? I've tried jump starting new cars that were extremely dead and they would do the same thing that you were describing where the motor would spin a little then lights would flash. You might have to put a charger on the battery for a day then try it.

RDeman

TDI
Kessy?, Key out of Range problem fixed

I hauled my 2012 JSW TDI to the VW shop today and didn't even have to take it off the trailer to get it fixed. Just like the "The New Guys" car, mine lost the programming between the car and the Key FOB's. I asked them to check the programming before I went through the hassle of unloading it and it didn't even take them a half hour to get it running, but I still got charged for 1hr of labor. That was the cheapest repair I could have ever asked for so I paid it and smiled all the way out of the dealership loving the fact that my car was finally running again. I just hope it doesn't happen again and will post back if it does.
I asked the tech about where the brake switch was in my car and it stumped him to when he looked above the brake pedal and didn't find it.:D I had to laugh to myself because he didn't want to believe me when I told him I couldn't find one above the pedal and he just had to look. He mumbled something that it must have a pressure switch so I hope he's right just in case anyone else on this site runs into a problem and want's to troubleshoot it. When I asked him about the hissing air leak type of noise I had under the dash this winter that went away when I pressed the brake I got that deer in the headlight look so I figured it was best not to push for an answer on that one. :D
I had the shop check my glow plug module under the recall notice I received a few months ago and found out that my car already had the newest rev module so there's nothing I should have to worry about. I'm hoping the flashing glow plug light I had this winter was just a fluke.