KermaTDI

TDIGuy101

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
I was wondering if anyone has experience with kermatdi, I have there tune on my car and love it, have no complaints about it but when I asked to have a retune as I am upgrading my car it's costing me $125 per retune? Is that normal? Is it supposed to be free?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yes, most tuners will want a few for redoing a tune, even if you have their tune already. Usually you just pay the difference between say... A stage 2 and stage 3 tune, rather than the entire stage 3 tune cost.

TDIGuy101

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
Yes, most tuners will want a few for redoing a tune, even if you have their tune already. Usually you just pay the difference between say... A stage 2 and stage 3 tune, rather than the entire stage 3 tune cost.
Ahhh okay cool thank you. I just wasn't sure

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I was wondering if anyone has experience with kermatdi, I have there tune on my car and love it, have no complaints about it but when I asked to have a retune as I am upgrading my car it's costing me $125 per retune? Is that normal? Is it supposed to be free?

HI,

Actually I thought retunes with Kerma were supposed to be free for life too ..... maybe only free if you buy upgrade parts that requiring retuning ? or maybe it was free for tunes up to a certain date then they stopped?

I would ask for a second opinion from another person at Kerma ... no sense spending an extra $125 if you don't have to.

Good Luck

Andrew

TDIGuy101

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
HI,

Actually I thought retunes with Kerma were supposed to be free for life too ..... maybe only free if you buy upgrade parts that requiring retuning ? or maybe it was free for tunes up to a certain date then they stopped?

I would ask for a second opinion from another person at Kerma ... no sense spending an extra $125 if you don't have to.

Good Luck

Andrew
Yeah true. I'll see if I can get in contact with the other tuner

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My understanding on Kerma is, maybe was, if you upgrade using purchased parts from them, there was no charge for upgrades. Do you own one of their programmers?
Also contact sales@TDTuning, Mike is a great tuner, and I believe upgrades are not $125.00 each, but you will have to overwrite the Kerma Tune, and will likely be like starting over as far. As tunes go, programmers don't piggy-back on tunes from another programmer. But, there is nothing wrong in calling them back.
You didn't mention if you wanted just the next level tune, or an upgrade with hardware too.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
My understanding on Kerma is, maybe was, if you upgrade using purchased parts from them, there was no charge for upgrades. Do you own one of their programmers?
Also contact sales@TDTuning, Mike is a great tuner, and I believe upgrades are not $125.00 each, but you will have to overwrite the Kerma Tune, and will likely be like starting over as far. As tunes go, programmers don't piggy-back on tunes from another programmer. But, there is nothing wrong in calling them back.
You didn't mention if you wanted just the next level tune, or an upgrade with hardware too.
Mike is excellent.

TDIGuy101

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
Oh yeah I've been working with Mike he is a great guy. I'm just going to the next stage and with parts from there site it is free re tune but I am using parts from other sources and he told me $125 for a re tune

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I would guess there is a bit of difference from the US to those across the pond. Ten plus years ago when I got my first tune there were distinct "Tune Stages" Stage 1 was a bit of power increase with "X' PSI, and Stage 2 was a bit more fuel and boost, and Stage 3 required at least .205 nozzles and 18 PSI, right below the "boom" threshold of a VNT-15, and stages higher from there. My hybrid is suggested at 24 PSI max as the core is from a VNT-17, and my nozzles are old style.216's. I have Frank putting together a set of .216 Gibonta. I am sure they will be just what I want.

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
Just went stage 1 and couldn't be happier. Difference was WAY more than expected. My 40-70 roll ons have gone down a full second and are now faster than my previous 2005 WRX wagon which had bolt on mods (turbo y-pipe, cat back, air filter). DSG tune is next. This completely transformed the car, and kept all stock parts intact. This is key for CA smog. I have the ability to switch back and forth at will. I'm also realizing that with this real power gain, I should consider a brake upgrade soon.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am not technically trash talking Kerma, they put together some great hardware and software, and many have been happy with their work. His charging for tune upgrades is just wrong, ie., $1695.00 with a vnt-15 cold side being called a 17/26 that is not a real 17/26. With a good cartridge (CHRA) a vnt-15 cold side or a vnt-17 cold side, the billet wheel could be as costly as $100.00 USD, and $125.00 USD for the machining, gets that dead VNT-17 out of your garage and into your car.
I am not trying to start a war here... if you are going to call something a 17/56 and charge a fortune for it , it had better be a 17/56.

Last edited: