KermaTDI Q Loader Problems

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Has anyone else had problems with the Q Loader? Not the slightest thing, but major issues, ie, unable to download the initial file from the PC to the Q loader. Or reading the file from the car? Or uploading the file from Kerma themselves. I don't want to slur anyone - I just want to get a rise of hands as to how many have had problems - if any? And don't mention I should have gone to Jeff instead!!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
No problems here.

Have you talked to Kerma about it?

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
No problems at all using mine. Did you follow the instructions by the letter?
Honestly, I dont see why anyone would post something about "you should have gone with RC" - problems can and will occur with something like this. If something is wrong with a persons computer it could translate into the QLoader not working properly.

4lowdubs

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 mk4
Great hardwear and softwear as far as im concerned, my Q loaderer works just fine!

KROUT

persona non grata
The tunes are zipped when you get them. They have to be unzipped before you can download them to the q-loader. I am sure it is operator error. They work great. But like everyone said call Charley and he will walk you threw it thats what I did.

JPR

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS,2003,Alaska Green (son's now),GL 2003,white (mine), GLS 2003 wagon (daughter's now)
Q Loader works just fine

The process does require a PC (Windows) computer, so if you only have a Mac, you would need to borrow a PC. Otherwise, as stated above there is a certain amount of basic computer knowledge that is necessary for unzipping, storing, and moving the file around, but no big deal. I had no problem with mine and have found Charlie to be very responsive and accessible via email and by phone. It's always best to do your best to work with the vendor before going public with problems. :rolleyes:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Mine came without instructions but when I called Charlie he got me hooked up right away. I have not had any trouble with mine. I have changed back from tuned to stock and back a few times until I did my clutch upgrade after new nozzles. My Q-loader has been flawless every time.

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
i was getting some weird errors when i was on the old firmware. once i upgraded to the new stuff mine worked just fine, and i have had no problems since. may want to check your firmware version.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
More important to me is not whether people have problems with a given product, that is always going to happen, even if it is a small percentage.

Problems can range from simply one bad apple made it past the quality control checks or was damaged in shipping. Or it can be something wrong with the customer's car (or computer?) that is really the issue and it only appears to be a defective product. Or the customer may have made a mistake that is the cause of the trouble... no matter to me.

The thing I care most about is how well the vendor takes care of any complaints. And for that, KERMA bats 100% home runs so far as I have ever heard! I am still waiting to hear of a single case where KERMA didn't make something "right" no matter what the real cause of the problem was.

The same is true with arch-rival RocketChip.

But you have to give the vendor the first shot at resolving any issues. I did not see where the OP was trying to flame KERMA at all, he appears to me to be asking a simple question in order to determine what is problems may be. He didn't say his Q-loader was broken or that it sucked, just that he was unable to make it work. It was all the rest of the people posting fanboi and hater posts that took it in that direction. Amazingly, KROUT's post seemed to be the most helpful so far!

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
When I got my first file from Kerma I got a a "File Conformity Error" when uploading the tune file from PC to the Q-Loader.

That night I wrote to Charlie informing him of the problem. He sent me a new file by 8:00 am the next morning. Granted I would rather have not had the problem but Charlie made it right ASAP. The new file worked as advertised. Can't argue with that kind of service.

If you're having a problem with your Q-Loader call or e-mail Kerma.

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
bogievw said:
When I got my first file from Kerma I got a a "File Conformity Error" when uploading the tune file from PC to the Q-Loader.

That night I wrote to Charlie informing him of the problem. He sent me a new file by 8:00 am the next morning. Granted I would rather have not had the problem but Charlie made it right ASAP. The new file worked as advertised. Can't argue with that kind of service.

If you're having a problem with your Q-Loader call or e-mail Kerma.
I will second the top notch customer service offerd by kerma. Never had any problems there.

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Problem fixed. Wasn't actually a problem at all. I didn't realise when it says "turn ignition on" - it meant just that, so I was turning the actual engine on, my mistake entirely. Tomo, read inbox :)

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Haven't received the new file from Kerma yet.

I think the ECU was tuned before by previous owner, not sure how many other MKIV TDI Beetles get to 130mph ( Garmin GPS tracked ) without a tune. Really slow on initial acceleration, but once at 30+, it's failry nippy. So I'm hoping Kerma can adjust the acceleration and MPG for me, at BEST, we get 28mpg!!! We have never been able to get more than 400 miles to the tank

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Those nozzles would get ya to 130 MPH methinks.

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Hoping to paint "Evil Herbie" matt black with a "53" sign on the front this summer, tint the windows, spray the wheels black, and install Kerma Hammerjack turbo. Not comfortable driving around in her lime Green car at present, with big yellow flower thing in "vase" !!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
;) LOL.....Like your wife is going to let you do that to her car!!

beachkokopelli said:
Hoping to paint "Evil Herbie" matt black with a "53" sign on the front this summer, tint the windows, spray the wheels black, and install Kerma Hammerjack turbo. Not comfortable driving around in her lime Green car at present, with big yellow flower thing in "vase" !!

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Since moving here 2 and a 1/2 years ago, I've owned a V8 Chevy Conversion van, a Suzuki GSXR 600 motorbike, the MKV Jetta, a toyota corrola, and now we just own the one car, the Beetle. I promised her a new car this year, seems about time really!! So when she gets the new one, the Beetle's mine to do whatever!!

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
beachkokopelli said:
Either way, lime green or "Herbie" are both bad ideas IMHO and vehicle choices I would avoid... especially with the mods you are going for.

Why? "Hey look over there, that's the badarse Beetle we have been hearing about speeding and racing around town. We better follow him, I'll be we can get our quota of tickets issued this month if we are sneaky enough. Tom on evening shift says the owner lives over on the west side but he works on the north side," the one cop said to the other. :eek: Being "distinctive" looking can be a disadvantage and being a "plain Jane" "one of many" can help you melt into anonymity if things get a little to "warm" in your area. ;)

The other issue is when the officer pulls you over and you are in "mom's car" or "the wife's car" and you were speeding, you are far more likely to get a warning than if you are driving a "hot rod" or any kind of car that looks like a "racer", even a wannabe racer. "Performance" looking trim is an automatic ticket every time.

The mods you are doing sound like a nice package, and you are at great risk of getting in heap big trouble if you are winding the car out to 130 now, before your new round of mods. You want to enjoy your mods and minimize your risks. ;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
beachkokopelli, might want to check your timing if you're only getting 28 MPG. That's not even close to where it should be. I only got 33 mpg with my 2000 Beetle, but I didn't drive like a sane person, either.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Vee, you had an auto or MANual beetle?

The presence of PP357s in Beach's car leads me to believe it's an auto.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Bob_Fout said:
Vee, you had an auto or MANual beetle?

The presence of PP357s in Beach's car leads me to believe it's an auto.
Bob, that doesn't matter. 28 MPG is bad no matter how you look at it.

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
It's an auto. I used to be stationed in Germany so tend to drive accordingly.

Lurker Mike - to answer both your questions. Why? One of life's fundemental questions huh!?! Why bunjee jump from a cable car 1500 meters in the air? Why sky dive out of a plane? Why take a motorbike to 180mph? Christ, why not?? For fun. For the hell of it.

And Police "sneaking" up on you? it really isn't rocket science to spot the American car with antenna's everywhere weaving in and out of traffic to catch you up

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
beachkokopelli said:
And Police "sneaking" up on you? it really isn't rocket science to spot the American car with antenna's everywhere weaving in and out of traffic to catch you up
I thought you did 130 on the highways here in the States and I was trying to be helpful with how to do so for tens of thousands of miles in triple digits without going to jail or paying HUGE fines. If you drive sanely, it doesn't matter what your car looks like. :rolleyes:

That Jetta that rocked by you so fast that it nearly tore your doors off on the highway may have looked like mine, but can you be sure? Probably not... :D

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Beach when you get the Q Loader working let me know. I live south of you a few in Va. Also 28mpg? even with an auto thats mm? well? Did you "vag com" the IP timing? Did you check you IQ after the nozzle install, did you do the hammer mod for indexing? Are the rear calipers dragging?

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
diesel-dave said:
Beach when you get the Q Loader working let me know. I live south of you a few in Va. Also 28mpg? even with an auto thats mm? well? Did you "vag com" the IP timing? Did you check you IQ after the nozzle install, did you do the hammer mod for indexing? Are the rear calipers dragging?
I think he was able to get tuned once he realized that the ignition should be turned to the 'on' position but not to go further and start the engine.