KermaTDI Charlie Customer Service?

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
Yeah, Charlie seems to be turning things around. I got my 17/22 hybrid turbo setup running. I was going to post pics and a writeup on what was done, but I just have not found any time in the past two weeks... :p

Charlie was nice enough to let me 1 day the computer to him, then he 1 day aired it back just in time to fire the TDI up for the weekend.

26PSI + more CFM is crazy amounts of torque compared to what the VNT15 was doing at 18PSI. I'll be curious what they dyno tells me. :D

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
ChippedNotBroken said:
Took a leap of faith today, and canceled my Paypal claim on the promise of some intercooler parts. I really didn't want to throw stones into a sinking ship, so hopefully I will get my parts and this will work itself out.
Well, the guys at Kerma got to keep all the money from my original order, but I had to change the order twice in order to make that happen.

In hindsight I think the thing that really bugs me about my dealing with Kerma, is one that I have heard repeatedly from other posters, and to some extent even verified my Kerma themselves.

You can place an order with them, for a part that they claim to have in stock, only to find out later that it is being drop shipped, or that they don't have it and are waiting for their supplier to ship. Or that there has been some unforseen thing that has somehow delayed your order, there is no way to know when they are going to receive it, only that is it sometime soon.

Now a JIT (just in time) inventory is a very smart thing for a small (or large) business that has to keep a diverse inventory of expensive parts to do. It would be a hallmark of a well run company. But this does not appear to be what is going on. I have bought things from TDIparts, Bora, dieselgeek and others. These orders were non-events. I like what Kerma has to sell, but to be honest, I am afraid to buy from them again.

That is not to say I won't, but if I do and it is more of the same - there won't be a third time.

dieselg33k

TDI
2002 GOLF 1.9TDI
I got my tracking info today from fex ex and the guys @ Kerma . 5 days to get stuff into canada ( crossed fingers ) barring trouble @ the boarder . tho it has allways been easier to get stuff into canada than into the USA . BIG thanks to everyone who worked together to get this stuff for me.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
Wow...first I've seen of this thread. Guess I need to get out more.

FWIW I was unable to make a gtg and get an RC tune earlier this year, but I was taking the Jetta to VIR for a track weekend and needed a tune. Was hanging out at a local shop and saw the Kerma sticker on the door, so I dropped the $400 and boosted up.

This was my first *formal* track event, but I was able to hang with or pass everyone else in my group except a couple of the M3s. This was a BMWCCA event, so my class was mostly 325s, 330s, some Mini's, and E36 M3s. I laid down a smoke cloud doing it, but running WFO most of the time I expected it. I was tickled with my performance, on touring tires as well! :p

On the drive out and back I did notice that my fuel economy was down roughly 10% from "pre-tune", and got in touch with Charlie. I got one of the standard "eff off" type e-mails that were apparently typical for those couple weeks in July.

He did eventually get back to me and we chatted (I think he was checking to see if I was an idiot and/or if there was any data backing up my claim), and after I explained some of the technical observations he had some ideas on how to tweak it to keep both the power and economy.

I'm only on my 2nd tank since the newest tune, but with less than a quarter tank remaining the total miles for the tank is projecting ~670, which is 10% higher than it had been running for the same driving conditions. It's idling rougher than it was, but I'm not so concerned with that. Perhaps if he gets ahead of the curve at Kerma we can keep tweaking.

I've never seen a company that makes a perfect product, and it's how a company deals with mistakes that defines them...if that makes any sense. I was pretty pissed when I got my first e-mail back telling me to pound sand, but Charlie has since made up for it, so for now I'll keep the faith.

Cheers-
Aaron

dieselg33k

TDI
2002 GOLF 1.9TDI
you got ,
I've never seen a company that makes a perfect product, and it's how a company deals with mistakes that defines them...
there are ups and downs everywhere . they are up and running now . Judge by the now not the then

Update : i got all my parts on monday . They were packaged so well that the could have been dropkicked to canada and arrived in perfect condition . after a marathon install . i had troubles , i called charlie on tues 7oclock pm local (8pm utah) he stayed with me and helped me trouble shoot till 10pm (11pm) he never hesitated or gave me any crud about the time . We did not end up solving the problem that night . this morning i called to pick up where we left off, i found out that he had stayed working , looking over the code to see if he had missed anything . ( he did not ) . please keep in mind i do not have a q loader or vag-com to help in diag. all this work was done with descriptions and estimates . we got the problem solved @ noon today . I hope this example goes a long way to helping people see that Kerma And Charlie have come up from thier troubles and are now pressing full steam ahead . Huge thanks .

Last edited:

Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
Just want to say that Paul and Charlie have always been great with me. They have always given me support and more than made up for any discrepancies.

Not too long ago I was having real clutch issues. Paul and Charlie saved my butt by selling me a Southbend clutch at cost and having it shipped directly to me from Southbend.

Sometimes I wonder how they make money off me :)

Paul and Anuthee have been helping me lately with a gauge issue and power possible power problems.

Dealing with your health issues, business problems and working to keep customers happy ... I can only wish you guys the best.

vampov

TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI Silver
I haven't done any business with KermaTDI so I have no first hand experience but upon researching them and asking around local shops didn't have many kind words to say about them and I came across this site allowing people to list their complaints against KermaTDI. I'd figure I would post it and you guys can do what you want with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
vampov said:
I haven't done any business with KermaTDI so I have no first hand experience but upon researching them and asking around local shops didn't have many kind words to say about them and I came across this site allowing people to list their complaints against KermaTDI. I'd figure I would post it and you guys can do what you want with it.
If you have done no business with kerma then you have no business posting in this thread.

Anyone who posts the link to that whiner site will get a time out. The site is not allowed because it has NO credibility. Anyone can sign up and post whatever they want anonymously with no accountability to what they post. That is why we have a dedicated thread plus a general thread on TDIClub to deal with members who have issues with Kerma.

Fair warning.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
BKmetz said:
If you have done no business with kerma then you have no business posting in this thread.

Anyone who posts the link to that whiner site will get a time out. The site is not allowed because it has NO credibility. Anyone can sign up and post whatever they want anonymously with no accountability to what they post. That is why we have a dedicated thread plus a general thread on TDIClub to deal with members who have issues with Kerma.

Fair warning.

:rolleyes:
Ok :)

zaq123

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV
WOW, I missed this whole thread. I ordered from Kerma in the past (q-loader and nozzles) and had nothing but excellent customer service but that was before all this, 1-2 years ago.

I just ordered $500 SBC clutch kit from Kerma /Paul. I will definitely let you guys know about my experience. I really hope it will be just like in the past

TDIBRO

TDI
09 TDI Jetta White Highline 6Sp manual
VNT17 order

I ordered a VNT 17, oil line, intercooler hose and retrofit kit from Kerma
before coming across this thread. It took a few days to get all the parts together but once they shipped them they were here in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada in 1.5 business days. Impressed! Worth the $$ for shipping and the whole package cost less than the stock VNT 15.
I emailed Paul 3 times and got a response within 45 minutes each time.

"Always exceed your customers expectations and they'll always come back and they'll bring their family & friends"

So far they have exceeded my expectations. I will certainly do business with them again.

TDIBRO

zaq123

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV
Got my clutch kit yesterday and a couple of other parts on the way.

I think people just need to chill out and Kerma needs to add this to their website as a disclaimer:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
He helped me with my used Q-loader I bought. I have nothing but good to say as I am an idiot when it come to computer things and he was there step by step to help me out.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Wishing all at Kerma a merry Christmas. I hope Paul is doing OK.

Do you have an update on the K3 (1856) turbos? Looking forward to their release.

John.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I just got an unbelievably quick turn around on a retune request :D:D:D to accommodate my VNT-17 and 3 bar map.

Thanks, Charlie

Gearhead51

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I've gotten 2 tunes from Charlie today to alleviate my smoke issue. I didn't get a third because it got dark, and I can't watch the smoke. He's always helpful, and I just got finished talking to him... and it's midnight. I was going to buy smaller nozzles (and pay him money), but he wants to try to see what can be done with the setup I have. THAT is customer service.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Kerma

Charlie tuned me on Monday... I've been so happy I've called him everyday this week just to let him know he hit my tune on the head and to ask about my upcoming MODS.... Yes!!! Charlie and Paul are GREAT people.

TDI
1998 & 2000 New Beetle; 2000 Jetta
Kerma

Been do business with Kerma now for a while (2+ yrs) (charlie) good customer service and help with diagnosis if there is any problems.
Just finished a golf with 520 race nozzles 17/22 turbo Huge Front mount intercooler, Custom intake pipes, porsche Brakes, big down pipe , egt , boot gauges ps2 coil overs ....... the list goes on (pic on our web site )..... dyno numbers coming soon.... next will be ported head and intake ;)

petger

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 6spd, 2010, Blue
I purchased a VNT-17 and 442 nozzles from Charlie several years ago for my '02, and had a great experience with everyone I dealt with. I hope things are smoothing out for everyone.

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
highender said:
a bit off topic.....but I am concerned about how Paul is doing ?

Charlie did a great job for my vehicle..... Thumbs up..!!

H
[FONT=&quot]Hello to everyone!

I'd like to say thanks for all the support and kind words!

I'll keep it brief, I'm finished with all the chemo and radiation and I think I've dodged most of the bullets.

I have been determined to beat this from the first day I was diagnosed, and I think I'm going to be one of the lucky ones. I've had great doctors, great medical treatment, and tons of support from family and friends.

I'm alive as I approach the one year anniversary, and I didn't lose my tongue, my lower jaw, or my vocal box. I can swallow food and speak. I no longer have the tracheotomy and soon I get the gastric feeding tube and chemo port removed. I've put on weight and muscle and regained energy. I no longer look like a skeleton.

Give me some time and I hope to be 100% and move forward, and focus on helping a few other people with their fight against cancer. It is no day at the beach!

At a major cancer hospital I saw enough people who weren't as lucky, and it is easy to see just how gruesome and tragic cancer can be ... especially for the families.

I apologize that we didn't do better for every single customer, but we really tried. We've made mistakes and had our share of bad experiences, bad choices, and bad luck... but we tried harder than many people will ever realize.

And, we will try even harder now that so many of the tough times are behind us. We didn't give up through all this....and we won't give up now.

Best wishes,

Paul[/FONT]