Kerma Qpro+ tune. Transferable?

Funny

TDI
98 jetta
I just called Kerma to ask if I could use this on another car same motor and MT6 as my 2015 passat that I just sold. They told me it would have to be retuned for a fee of 499!

What a scam and rip off.

Can someone verify if this information is truthful. Thank you.

I was hoping to sell it or use it on a golf tdi MT6.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The tunes are usually Vin specific. In order to use a flasher on a new vehicle, you have to unlock it by restoring the stock tune back to the original car. But the modified tune is still for the original Vin.

Funny

TDI
98 jetta
Thanks for the comments.

In that case I think it is way over priced for what it is. And If I could do it over again I would have not gotten the tune.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thanks for the comments.

In that case I think it is way over priced for what it is. And If I could do it over again I would have not gotten the tune.
You should have read more before buying. This isn't a secret or anything. The fault is yours for not knowing what you were buying. No scam or anything. It may be over priced for you, but not for a bunch of other folks who have bought them. You fault the seller when it is you who made the wrong decision.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I do wonder if you put the original tune back in it, if they would let you move it another vehicle? I realize the tunes are VIN specific, I wonder what their answer would be?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Knowing them..... Not without a fee. Like full cost :rolleyes:

Funny

TDI
98 jetta
You should have read more before buying. This isn't a secret or anything. The fault is yours for not knowing what you were buying. No scam or anything. It may be over priced for you, but not for a bunch of other folks who have bought them. You fault the seller when it is you who made the wrong decision.
Its been a few years since I bought it. Things like this are not a top priority in my life. At some point my assumptions must have shifted to think that I would be able to move it like my old rocket chip. I was not impressed with the product. Just didn't think it made that much of a difference. Thanks for your comment, now I know how they could get what they are charging.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They are charging a price people are willing to pay, including you. Assuming something and then blaming the seller after the fact for something that was your fault to start with, is bad form on your part. Understand what you are buying and then you won't have to come here and whine about how you can't do what was never allowed in the first place (without an extra charge). Just because you want something after the fact doesn't change the conditions of sale when you bought it. My comment is just my comment, it has nothing to do with what they charge. I have never done business with Kerma but have bought other tunes and was fully aware of the changing cars policy. You should have been too. I think that is the policy of all tuners now days. Rocketchip in the older cars reprogrammed the chips and you could change cars by moving the chips. Can't do that today easily. Software sellers need to be able to protect their IP so others don't use or sell it outside of the agreement made at the sale. The cost is the cost, don't buy it if you don't like the cost.

Funny

TDI
98 jetta
They are charging a price people are willing to pay, including you. Assuming something and then blaming the seller after the fact for something that was your fault to start with, is bad form on your part. Understand what you are buying and then you won't have to come here and whine about how you can't do what was never allowed in the first place (without an extra charge). Just because you want something after the fact doesn't change the conditions of sale when you bought it. My comment is just my comment, it has nothing to do with what they charge. I have never done business with Kerma but have bought other tunes and was fully aware of the changing cars policy. You should have been too. I think that is the policy of all tuners now days. Rocketchip in the older cars reprogrammed the chips and you could change cars by moving the chips. Can't do that today easily. Software sellers need to be able to protect their IP so others don't use or sell it outside of the agreement made at the sale. The cost is the cost, don't buy it if you don't like the cost.
Haha. Thanks for the lesson. With your should have known ****. Regardless of whether or not I was aware of the inability to transfer the tune, the performance increase was minimal. How would I know how the product would have performed before purchasing? I am saying that in the end I was not happy! Looking back on my experience it was not worth the cost to me. What is your problem? Did I hurt your feelings?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well your words were "What a scam and rip off." of which it was neither. Being unhappy with the performance increase is not the same thing. Tunes have been reviewed here for some time. You should have had some idea of what to expect. I don't know about Kerma but others have hp/tq estimates for their tunes online. Sorry you didn't like your tune. I also don't think they are for me and I have had several over the years in differing VW tdi's. If I ever had to delete I would reconsider one. Not until then though.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Funny, you say the difference was minimal, why did you not file your complaint right after the install?
You likely would have been charged a "minimal fee" and gotten back most of your money after putting the stock tune back in.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Once upon a time someone wanted to compare a tune by Kerma, and a similar tune by Malone. I do remember one was different than the other, and the test was on the up-and-up, maybe search will help?