Keeping a TDI after warranty runs out?

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
From past experience with Benz's, it just got too expensive to replace failed components after my warranty expired. I did all the routine maintenance and reliability was okay up to around 100,000 miles. I had 2 E320 CDI's. As the front end components were being replaced I started worrying about the future cost of Air Conditioning, transmission and engine problems. I replaced these cars with 2 Passat TDI SEL PREMIUM'S and purchased the 100,000 mile warranty. With the complexity of the emission system, I absolutely plan to get rid of these cars before they reach the 100,000 mile mark.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Don't worry tooooo much. Just keep driving. DIESEL on... I had over 45 cars in my life and after warranty ran out, all those cars cost nothing.... Maybe little things went, the only big thing on my CHRYSLER was every 100,000 km around to exchange the Transmission... That happened twice to me b4 I get rid of the Le Baron. Never a CHRYSLER Product in my Yard again...MB, VW and BMW are cars that do not need the extended warranty in my eyes. But....

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
From past experience with Benz's, it just got too expensive to replace failed components after my warranty expired. I did all the routine maintenance and reliability was okay up to around 100,000 miles. I had 2 E320 CDI's. As the front end components were being replaced I started worrying about the future cost of Air Conditioning, transmission and engine problems. I replaced these cars with 2 Passat TDI SEL PREMIUM'S and purchased the 100,000 mile warranty. With the complexity of the emission system, I absolutely plan to get rid of these cars before they reach the 100,000 mile mark.
Why not just dump them before the factory warranty runs out saving yourself the additional cost of an extended maintenance insurance policy? :confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since I own 3 TDIs (one my son drives) that are either approaching or over 300K miles, I can attest that these cars need more attention as they age. Even the older ones. I love the ones we own so I don't care so much about the costs, but it does take a good mechanic and some diligence to keep them in top shape. I think it has more to do with how you feel about putting in the time and effort than the cost. Odds are it's cheaper to keep them than trade.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
Meh. My repair costs have been MUCH lower than my car payments.

Most of the little stuff I do myself. These cars are surprisingly easy to work on.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Keeping it stock after the extended turbo warranty expires= no way, not even a remote possibility.
This isn't a ALH ;)
A shopping spree to Malone and Rawtek is a must

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Really? New turbo is around $1,000, probably another $600 for professional install. That doesn't seem to be a reason to sell the car. And ALH turbos fail, too, although I'll agree they last longer than the B-W ones on the newer TDIs.

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
I just hope we all can keep our cars for longer that 100k. That way we can communicate as to what sort of issues, problems we encounter, post DIY, pictures and part #s to help us keep the vehicles running and minimize repair costs by not taking them to the dealer and even doing the work ourselves.

Even If we dont do it ourselves, we can direct a mechanic on what he needs to do to fix it. It also has to do with your income. When money is not an issue, get a new car every time the old one bores you. But at some point we all stop working and generating that much income or maybe we dont want an annoying 500 dlls a month payment and want to send those resources towards a house, investment, business, something.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
I just hope we all can keep our cars for longer that 100k. That way we can communicate as to what sort of issues, problems we encounter, post DIY, pictures and part #s to help us keep the vehicles running and minimize repair costs by not taking them to the dealer and even doing the work ourselves.

Even If we dont do it ourselves, we can direct a mechanic on what he needs to do to fix it. It also has to do with your income. When money is not an issue, get a new car every time the old one bores you. But at some point we all stop working and generating that much income or maybe we dont want an annoying 500 dlls a month payment and want to send those resources towards a house, investment, business, something.
I'm about 2k miles away for 100k on my 2012 passat.

So far the only issue has been the DEF heater.

The only repair that scares me is the HPFP. Mainly because it might take other stuff with it.

Mercedes are pretty expensive to fix (same for BMW, which is why I sold my M3). Even the biggest repair on the Passat should be small comparatively.