Keep the Snow Tires?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
The 2015 Sportwagen I just bought came with a set of mounted Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 snow tires, in addition to the tires already on the car. I’m probably going to sell them. But I’ve never had dedicated snow tires and wonder if they’re worth keeping.

I live in a coastal Massachusetts area that hasn’t gotten really heavy snow in two or three years. How awful a ride are snow tires on dry to sometimes snowy but wet pavement?

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
For years we've had studded snow tires for my wife's cars, and I don't think thats going to change for us. We have loads of hills in my area amd live on top of Mt Wilson so it's either downhill or up hill when you pull out of the lane. Ride quality with Firestone and Bridgestone brands has been fine. Bit noisy with the studs, but the added traction is noticed in snow and ice conditions. Before I got her first set of snow tires it was common practice for her to need to put chains on her car to get home, or take one of the trucks. depending on the circumstances I'll run chains on the truck too. We've had some pretty mild winters in recent years, and I haven't gotten a set for her escape yet, but the few times we did get snow she was complaining about her tires spinning and the car not stopping like her old car did. Before next winter I'll have her a set for it, and have considered getting a set for my vw, although I doubt I'll really ever drive it in the snow. I have better suited vehicles for that. There's no down side to having better traction during adverse weather conditions. Storage can be a pain if you don't have the room, as well as changing them if your not capable to do it yourself.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I only have one jack so I change them one at a time ;)

BTW Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 are winter tires, not snow tires - although many use the terms interchangeably.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Winter tires have softer tread compounds which remain flexible at very low temperatures, and tread patterns designed to maximize grip on ice. Snow tires are similar but tread patterns are optimized for traction in snow and slush, and may be studded. Very few tires are actually marketed as snow tires.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You could use your car's jack to change them one at a time, same way you would change a flat. I use a floor jack because it's easier and sturdier. You only need jack stands to rotate tires in situ.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
I run studded Hakkapelitta 9’s on my B5.5 in a mountain environment. They aren’t magic, but dang near. Can’t make it up my driveway without them. Often drive snow packed, icy, black ice, and unplowed highways confidently at the near posted speed limit or faster depending on time of day.

Night and day better than my wife’s studded Mastercraft on her suburban.

Cut the legs off your coffee table, climate controlled storage for your tires.

Personally I think Salt and Mag Chloride should be outlawed and the masses should actually learn to drive in adverse conditions with proper winter tires.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
My thoughts exactly, pressure wash them before rolling inside😂

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would find a set of cheap good used wheels. I wouldn't be swapping the tires back and forth themselves. Doesn't cost you any more space to have wheels in them versus not. Discount. Tire here will rotate tires for free if you've done business with them before. Pretty easy to do yourself if you have wheels in them already.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The snows ARE mounted on wheels. I’m not doing it myself. Would need to spend money on jacks. And I have no more space to store those as I do the tires, which is none.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
Then sell the tires. How much do you drive in the winter?

Drive or ride or walk or run or hitchhike or dance to nearest tire shop and ask in what the costs are in person. People are trying to help you and you seem to be stonewalling every solution but yet want your hand held...?

How have you kept a VW running all these years if you don’t do the work yourself?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A ton of people don’t do the work themselves, smart guy. My regrets if you can’t understand that. And your remarks are offensive.

I can play guitar very well. Can you? Well, why not?

I can write a publishable 2,000 word news article in 30 minutes. Can you? Well, why not?

I can speak comfortably before hundreds of people about local wildlife. Can you? Well, why not? What’s wrong with you?

Oh. You never learned how? Interesting.

I don’t think I’m stone walling anybody. I do a ton of winter driving. But because of global warming, New England winters have been bereft of heavy snow.

Thank you.

If I had decent storage space I’d be very tempted to keep them and buy Jack stands, etc.

Last edited:

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
@Mass. Wine Guy my apologies, I’m sorry for coming off so strong and opinionated. 14 night shifts in a row will wear on a guy. I should have censored myself and I did not.

I read your responses and took them out of context and assumed you were trolling for amusement. Failing to realize that you were sincere in your responses, I lashed out figuring you had some mechanical knowledge.

And you are right, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I am great at getting the cart ahead of the horse, ......or in this case, having my alligator mouth override my hummingbird brain.

With you living in potential winter storm area I highly recommend winter tires unless you are fortunate enough NOT to have to travel in it. Since my job is 24/7, it’s not an option for me, so winter tires it is. Sucks you don’t have the storage space.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CantWrite, I’m grateful and touched by your words. Thank you. I know what 14 night shifts would do to me. I work for FedEx Express with a blessed PT shift that starts at 3 pm. During Christmas I often work mornings, too. I’m not a morning person and this really affects me after a while.

Maybe carrying the tires up three flights of stairs to the attic would be worth the advantage they offer. I’d certainly get a good workout.