Keep my TDI? Swap my engine into another one?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Backstory here, my current 2006 Jetta TDI was purchased new by my mom in mid 2005. I'm 23 and I got the car around for my 18th birthday, replacing my mk4. Over the years the car has racked up 520,000km right now. I've put lots of money into it especially recently, as I replaced the clutch components, did all new bushings and struts/springs all around, etc. In 2015 VW Canada approved almost $10,000 of rust repair under warranty as my rockers were eaten up, both fenders were bad, and some other parts that got replaced and repainted. I adore this car, and was planning on putting many more miles on it. However last week a semi truck grazed its side, ripping off my passenger mirror and completely scraping up my 2 passenger doors. No other damage than that, I replaced the mirror already. But I'm wondering since I need two new doorskins, and rust is reappearing now on my rear arches, what would you do? I found a mk5 TDI same colour that needs an engine for sale close to me. Would you guys fix my current cars body and keep rolling? Or swap my good engine into this other car and scrap my original?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What does the other car need in repairs other than the engine?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
The other car needs a windshield(so does mine anyways) and has some leaky rear shocks. My struts and shocks are about 4 months old, so I think I'd carry them over. Other than that, the guy doesn't know of anything else that's wrong with it. Mileage is 270,000kms on that car. Body looks pretty immaculate.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Clutch?
Suspension?
Brakes?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Well like I mentioned, my clutch is new, my suspension is new. I can carry all that over. I have a Touareg I can rip around in, and have lots of space for two cars being worked on. My brakes are also about 4 months old, so everything mechanically bad on that car, I can transfer over to the 'new' car. Just not sure if its worth doing, or if I should just make the body good on my current TDI

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How much would it cost to repair your car versus how much would
(a) the replacement car cost?
(b) how much time to swap everything over …..( how much is your time worth )?
Need to figure that out to determine which is better for you.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Get the door skins, grind those arches and fill them good with Bondo. One or two rattle cans of paint et voilá!

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
You'll have more time and money in buying another car and trying to swap everything than you would in fixing what you have. The other car may be a good parts car for your banged up one.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Thankyou everyone for your replies and opinions. I will be investing more money into my mk5 after all and it'll stick around. You're right, it's too much work, I have to familiarize myself with another vehicle and fix it's issues, etc. I just bought a load of parts today for it, AC refrigerant control valve, AC condenser, AC o-ring kit, radiator, timing belt kit, camshaft kit with top end gaskets, etc, since those are maintenance and repair items items that have been in my head the past year. Local pick n pull junkyards have tons of these coloured mk5's in my area and each skin is like $20. The mirror assembly was $30 lol.

There's something about this car that keeps egging me on to keep it, whether it's a good idea or bad one, is beyond me. I have a real long commute and love saving money at the pump, which is why my Golf R and Touareg sit a lot.