keep bugs off from radiator and AC condenser!

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
when i drive on hwy it get lots of bugs on radiator or AC condenser fins whichever fin is in front..i searched for mesh screen or something to protect radiator from bugs but never came closer to finding right one..are there anyone using any mesh screen or such product can recommend such product!!

-thanks
Brian

nittany1

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
when i drive on hwy it get lots of bugs on radiator or AC condenser fins whichever fin is in front..i searched for mesh screen or something to protect radiator from bugs but never came closer to finding right one..are there anyone using any mesh screen or such product can recommend such product!!

-thanks
Brian
I don't think a B7 specific grille is available yet. In the interim perhaps you can cut a piece of this and insert it behind your factory grille.

http://www.ilovebodykits.com/produc...rsal_48_x_16_Medium_Diamond_Black_grille.html

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Keep in mind- the mere presence of fine screen itself... will impede airflow. And, as it clogs up with bugs, will further impede airflow. May want to consider just leaving it stock and cleaning with water flush periodically. (that might provide best overall cooling)

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep in mind- the mere presence of fine screen itself... will impede airflow. And, as it clogs up with bugs, will further impede airflow. May want to consider just leaving it stock and cleaning with water flush periodically. (that might provide best overall cooling)
appreciate your input corsair! i kind of thought of that. airflow was also my main concern but keeping it for month or so and see how it helps. also when i checked behind the grille couple weeks ago, front condenser fin was full of bugs and it was very hard to flush out with water so thought to try out bug screen.

grampareg

TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6MT Black
Bug Screen

I have removed the grille and put a nylon screen in front of the rad and reinstalled grille and when car is washed the bugs get washed off screen. Always had this screen with every car I have had and not had any problems

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Window screen and duct tape are really cheap if you are really interested.

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
removed it after monitoring mpg. it was dropping! removed it from both upper and lower grille. instead installed 1/8" hardware cloth (ace hardware) on just a lower grille.it has better airflow than fine mesh screen. there is no screen on upper grille currently.

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
Cut window screen to size and attach to front of grill w/ zip ties in corners and middle. Big rigs have a screen either behind the grill or sometimes in front. I did the window screen method on a '95 Lincoln Town Car w/ no effect on mpg's or cooling/overheating. On my F250 Super Duty w/ a diesel, I have bug screen inserts for grill and no problem w/ overheating even when towing a 13,000 5th wheel camper. For the winter, I remove them and insert solid panel in an effort to reduce the amount of cold air. Again no problem. In fact, the A/C condenser looks like new due to no bugs in it.