Keep 2009 past warranty or trade for 2012?

turbosaab

TDI
2012 Jetta
Has anyone traded a 2009 (or 2010) in for a MKVI, or own both? A family member is trying to decide whether to keep the 2009 or trade in for a brand new one.
A test drive confirmed that the 2012 isn't quite as nice as the 2009 - interior not finished as nicely, no 110v outlet - are there other differences that make the 2012 better or worse? Which one would likely be a better bet for long-term reliability/durability?
From a financial perspective, it is roughly a toss-up (once you include an extended warranty for keeping the 09, DSG service, new tires, etc), so I think it's going to come down to whether having "brand new" again is worth trading for a slightly cheapened car.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
If you can hold off until the 2013 model comes out, VW is supposed to Un-Gimp the interior, and some of other parts they cheapened. Or you could look at the 2012 Golf or JSW.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
To reduce the cost of tdi models to compare with Gasser models VW took away alot from 2010+ models...they put cheaper rear suspension in...smaller cheaper swaybar system...drum brakes as standard disk as premium upgrade..front calipers have smaller pistons for less braking performance....also they went from 12 wire heated seats to 4 wires only so the heat is not proportional across the seal like older models. They put more plastic brackets in dash in place of aluminum brackets. They also switched to vegitable oil based wire insulation which doesn't hold up well to heat well and is more flavorable to rats and such...I was dissapointed when i read the huge list of things they did to reduce the cost of the cars price...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Another unique thing the 2009 has is the hpfp failure if it ever happens to u has a filter screen after the fuelfilter that newer models don't have that catches the metal and allows just a hpfp replacement and fuel line drain to clean system of the metal particles. Newer models did away with this pre screen for some odd reason which makes the metal circulate through the entire system constantly... when I had my hpfp replaced they only drained the system by jumping the tank pump with voltage and running the diesel through the fuel filter through the screen and back into the tank... after a while replaced the fuel'filter and did it for about an hour longer and the they pulled the fuel filter and screen cleaned the scene..replaced the fuel filter again then they pulled tank pump and replaced the pump strainer. So the cost of the repair was much less the the 10k people are posting everywhere...

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Actually the 2011-2012 tdis have discs standard...and the brakes are no smaller then pervious years, they are much larger then the mk4 ones my old tdi had. Heated seats work awesome and get insanely hot ...actually work better then my buddies mk5s. Yes the rear suspension is cheaper, but its also cheaper to fix and maintain and i see no driving difference between my mk4 or my buddies 2 mk5 tdis....if anything i find it a bit stiffer and handles awesome and seems to work better for towing as well. This is no race car so full irs isnt required.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
To reduce the cost of tdi models to compare with Gasser models VW took away alot from 2010+ models...they put cheaper rear suspension in...smaller cheaper swaybar system...drum brakes as standard disk as premium upgrade..front calipers have smaller pistons for less braking performance....also they went from 12 wire heated seats to 4 wires only so the heat is not proportional across the seal like older models. They put more plastic brackets in dash in place of aluminum brackets. They also switched to vegitable oil based wire insulation which doesn't hold up well to heat well and is more flavorable to rats and such...I was dissapointed when i read the huge list of things they did to reduce the cost of the cars price...

You listed somethings VW cheapened, that I have never heard of before. Do you have a like to your resource on this, I would be interested in seeing it.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Another unique thing the 2009 has is the hpfp failure if it ever happens to u has a filter screen after the fuelfilter that newer models don't have that catches the metal and allows just a hpfp replacement and fuel line drain to clean system of the metal particles. Newer models did away with this pre screen for some odd reason which makes the metal circulate through the entire system constantly... when I had my hpfp replaced they only drained the system by jumping the tank pump with voltage and running the diesel through the fuel filter through the screen and back into the tank... after a while replaced the fuel'filter and did it for about an hour longer and the they pulled the fuel filter and screen cleaned the scene..replaced the fuel filter again then they pulled tank pump and replaced the pump strainer. So the cost of the repair was much less the the 10k people are posting everywhere...

I thought your car had a hpfp BEFORE you purchased it? As for the lack of a screen or screens in place. It doesn't save the fuel sytem from metal contamination. I'm not sure what your case was or the circumstances of the failure.

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
If you can hold off until the 2013 model comes out, VW is supposed to Un-Gimp the interior, and some of other parts they cheapened. Or you could look at the 2012 Golf or JSW.
I've been back to the dealer and checked out both the Golf and the JSW.

I think too much is being made about how "cheap" the new interior is. Yes, it's hard plastic instead of *slightly* soft touch material in places.

Color me unimpressed with how significantly better the old interior is. It's more of just something to talk about and nitpick. The bits you touch and interact with (except for the HVAC controls) all feel top notch to me.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
^^ i agree, ive drove them all and dont see what the hypes all about...my mk4 had a soft dash but im driving not feeling up the dash lol. I love the look of the interior on my mk6

turbosaab

TDI
2012 Jetta
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been following the HPFP issues and my impression is that the 2012s may (or may not) be better in this regard, but aren't any worse.

The 2009 has been flawless so far (literally, the only "repair" was a burnt out tail light bulb).

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
personally i like to skip a generation...i say wait for mkvii. as long as it's still runnin well, i say keep it. your monthly cost of ownership will go down a little bit.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
It is up to you. Buying new cars rather than keeping your older car, is almost always going to cost you more than keeping the old car. You may have higher maintenance cost, with the older car, but the overall ownership cost is almost always far cheaper to keep the old car and take care of it.
However there is a benefit of that new car smell. :D

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been following the HPFP issues and my impression is that the 2012s may (or may not) be better in this regard, but aren't any worse.

The 2009 has been flawless so far (literally, the only "repair" was a burnt out tail light bulb).
Trade it if you just want the new model. But I wouldn't do it for HPFP worries. First off, that's spending a lot of money to avoid a problem that may never happen, on a car that may have the same risk of HPFP failure.

I'd drive more, worry less, if you're happy with your current car.

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
^^ i agree, ive drove them all and dont see what the hypes all about...my mk4 had a soft dash but im driving not feeling up the dash lol. I love the look of the interior on my mk6
In fact I prefer the styling of the interior more than the Golf/JSW with their chrome ringed circular gauges. Ours is a little more mature--less "vwvortex" if you will.

Last edited:

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
i think the exterior of the newer models is nicer looking, but the quality is higher on the 2009. i've had both models (2006 gasser) and if the 2006 had been a tdi, i'd have kept it for sure.

turbosaab

TDI
2012 Jetta
Ended up trading for 2012. With all costs included (40K service, new tires, etc), it was actually cheaper to trade than keep the 2009 for another 3 years.

Personal opinion: MKVI sedan might not be as nice as the MKVI, but it's 95% there. The differences are subtle; driving them back to back, it feels very much like driving the same car. Better looking too :)

Cesar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta Highline TDI
Congrats, welcome to the MK6 family ;D
Perhaps some details like color and any accessories added?

turbosaab

TDI
2012 Jetta
Congrats, welcome to the MK6 family ;D
Perhaps some details like color and any accessories added?
Thanks! White w/ cornsilk, monster mats, trunk liner, lip spoiler, plus chrome tips on order

fahrfrompuken

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Congrats! You will like it, I do. I think too much has been made of the whole "cheap interior" issue. I did not like the soft touch interior on my 2003. Everywhere you touched it wore off over time.

Last edited:

fahrfrompuken

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Thanks! White w/ cornsilk, monster mats, trunk liner, lip spoiler, plus chrome tips on order

Mine is the same except I got the black interior.

I bought a 2007 Toyota Camry SE V6 for $17K, drove it for 2 years, put 50K+ on it, and the local VW dealer gave me $13.5K trade-in, and gave me the new TDI for $100 under invoice.

The 2 local dealers were in a bidding war over my business. Back and forth they went bidding more and more for my trade-in.

I had to do the deal. Now I am so happy I did. I love my new TDI!