K&N Drop-in Filter

powerstroker363

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG, 2014 Passat SEL DSG (SOLD), 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
I would like to hear on what your take is on the K&N Filters vs Stock Filter? Yes or No

I'm thinking of putting one in car that has the Stage 2 Malone Tune and turbo back exhaust. I can't make up my mind. Is anyone out there running a K&N drop-in?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
No. Not many fans of K&N on these turbo cars.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
First, avoid oiled filters. If it is a non oiled filter, it might be safe. However the stock air filter is excellent and most high flow filters achieve that "high flow" by filtering less. In other words, there is a very good chance that more fine particles of dust (etc.) will get through the filter and into your engine. I would stick with the stock filter until you have evidence that air flow is the limiting factor in any desired power increase.

Have Fun!

Don

powerstroker363

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG, 2014 Passat SEL DSG (SOLD), 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
That's kind of what I was thinking. I knew there was something about oiled filters are bad for these cars. Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I knew there was something about oiled filters are bad for these cars. Thanks
In my opinion, the biggest problem with oiled filters is that most people over oil them. The excess oil gets sucked through the filter and it fouls the MAF sensor. If you used minimal oil, it might be OK.
Oil issues aside the issue with most filters is that to increase the flow, you really only have 2 choices. First you can make more holes for the air (or whatever) to pass through, or (second) you can make bigger holes for the air to pass through. More holes is the way VW chose (try unfolding
the paper element and see how long it is). However, it is cheaper and easier to make bigger holes, so guess how most aftermarket filter makers do it.

Have Fun!

Don

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have rebuilt over 5 rigs due to dust and sand getting past a K&N filter. 1 was a $7K ford 6.0 powerstroke complete rebuild, others just bikes and quads....
the turbo puts out the same max boost no matter what filter is used

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I have rebuilt over 5 rigs due to dust and sand getting past a K&N filter. 1 was a $7K ford 6.0 powerstroke complete rebuild, others just bikes and quads....
the turbo puts out the same max boost no matter what filter is used
I've seen tons of claims related to these type's of filters on diesels in Dodge's, Fords and Chevy, DON"T DO IT with a diesel. I've seen impellers almost worn so thin and damaged from dirt getting by these. Gassers, even turbo gasser's, okay if you don't over-oil but not a number 2 burner

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
even properly cleaned and washed, and correctly spray oiled banshee's and CRF's ingest tons of sand. The carb slide was so full of sand on my friends Banshee that one carb stuck 1/4 way open. he is now on his last overbore before a new sleeve is required.